• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Digital Cameras

PopArtGal

Mushu's Best Gal Pal
Sorry I didn't know on which board to write.

But I want to buy a digital camera and know nothing about it.

Unfortunately, I just graduated for University and started a new job so I don't have that much money to put on it.

I have heard that 5.1 megapixels isn't that bad.

What do you have? Do you like them? How much can I expect to pay for an ok camera? And where to buy?

Thanks! I really need help!

Depending on what you want, how much $$ you want to spend etc. here's a site that's helpful. Also, if you are more of a periodic photographer you don't necessarily need anything more than a 3 mp if you only plan on doing 4 x 6 picture (even 5 x 7's are nice IMHO).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Good luck!

I just purchased a Canon A620. It is a great camera and the pictures are beautiful.

Therre are so many numbers and variables associated with buying a digital camera, so my help to you now is to eliminate one of these numbers from your decision-making process.

IGNORE "DIGITAL ZOOM."

To me, digital zoom is a worthless feature, so whether a camera has a lot or a little of it makes no difference to me.

"Optical zoom" means zoom that is accomplished by the optics, the lens, the glass. This is a pure zoom, a pure enlargement. "Digital zoom" means electronically zooming in on a portion of the image. Want to simulate digital zoom without using a digital camera? Turn on your TV. Focus your eyes on one portion of the screen. Now, get closer and closer to your TV. Notice as you get closer to the screen how the image looks fuzzier and fuzzier, and eventually how you can see the dots (called "pixels")? That's all that digital zoom is. Worthless.

As far as optical zoom goes, there is a trade-off that you have to decide. The bigger the number of the zoom, the bigger the lens. If you want a small, point-and-shoot camera that you can fit (or s-q-u-e-e-z-e) into your pocket, you can't get an optical zoom higher than about 4x. This isn't a matter of technology, it's a matter of the laws of physics. Cameras with a higher zoom are larger, to accommodate the larger lens. More zoom means more control. It's not just a matter of zooming in on something far away, it can be a matter of taking a picture of something xlose but by zooming in you can eliminate a lot of other non-picturesque things or distractions that would have been in the picture if you used a smaller zoom. But then the other trade-off is the more zoom you use the more light you need ... stop me before I keep going and going ....

Otherwise, without being too complicated, don't feel you have to buy anything higher than 5 megapixels (you can even go lower) unless you think you'll be doing BIG enlargements or will be cropping and then enlarging just that cropped image.

GOOD LUCK!

Good advice from Cleverocks. Digital Zoom is garbage, optical is where it's at. I can't post urls yet, but google "Steve's Digicams" and "DPreview". Both sites have a wealth of information, sample photos, and the good and bad on most cameras. One guy even shoots macro photos (very very very close detailed pictures) of a little sorcerer mickey. :)

I have two cameras that I use a LOT...one is my Kodak 5640 (I think that's the number!) which is 4MP and my Canon Rebel xT which is 8mp.

I can make crystal clear enlargements of 8 x 10 and 11x14 with my 4mp. I also recommend to set it on the highest setting that way your photos don't come out too 'pixelated' (you know...all blocky looking). You may need additional memory cards because the files are larger, but it is worth it.

I recommend at least a 512MB card. Great size and you can get a LOT of photos on there, even set at the highest MP setting

and I TOTALLY agree...ignore digital zoom. Digital zoom = crap. :)

I am extremely "Technologically challenged" and I have had no problem with my Kodak Easy Share 5.0. I am also always testing for gravity, and I have bounced this poor camera all through WDW. Once I dropped it so hard that the casing popped apart and I snapped it back together and it still works great! I would take two cards, because sometimes they are backed up and need to keep your card to make a CD. Also take an extra set of rechargable batteries in case you run low while in the parks.

I like my little Nikon Coolpix. It's very easy to use and the photos are pretty good. I got mine as a gift, so I'm not sure of cost, but I know it's not one of the "expensive" cameras. It's quite small and fits comfortably on my belt in its case. My SIL has a Kodak Easyshare that takes good photos. Both are easy to use and are pretty much "point and shoot." I had a chance to use a tiny Sony camera today at a baptism, which was very nice, but knowing the owner, it was probably a bit pricey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter