Digital Cameras & Flying

Happy Girl

Earning My Ears
Is it okay for the digital camera to be run through with my carry bag or should I pull it out for hand inspection?

What about the memory cards? Can I pack them in my regular suitcase or should I have them in my carry on? Again, do they need to be hand checked?

Thanks for your help - first time flying with digital.

I've flown with my digital for the last four years (sony-memory sticks) and never had a problem with it going through the x-ray.
Enjoy!

Not sure what kind of memory cards you have, but if they are small, I would just throw them in the carry on. You never know what may happen to your luggage, especially if it checks inspected. Mine are the size of postage stamps, so one could very easily get lost if it falls out of a pocket.

Personally, I throw all my cords and chargers, etc. in my checked bags, but carry my memory cards and cameras. Better safe than sorry.

I carry on my Camera and memory cards in my carry on. I just leave camera in it's case inside my backpaclk and let backpack go thru xray.

Film is sensitive to exposure to radiation from the electromagnetic spectrum (both visable light and X-rays belong to that spectrum)... that's why both will affect film. Digital "film" is not sensitive to such radiation. That's why neither room light nor X-rays (as used in luggage scanners) will harm it. That being said, for security reasons alone, you should carry on any such valuables like camera, digital "film" cards, etc.

If you would like to see your camera and memory cards again don't pack them in your suitcase. Don't pack anything in your luggage that you can't afford to lose.

1. True about packing valuables in your carry-on

2. True about flash memory not having an issue through the machine.
I've sent my camera through with memory in it with no problems.

If you are truly concerned, you can probably ask your hotel if they can recommend a place to burn a cd off of your memory card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter