Difficulty walking in airport

goofy4wdw2

DIS Veteran
My dad will be traveling with us in October. He's renting an ECV for a fairly new disability so will be fine at Disney, but I'm concerned about him getting around the airports...both Philly and MCO going down and heading home. I don't think he can walk that far...the walk from the Southwest terminal to the Magical Express entrance is quite far, and the Philly airport requires a bit of walking as well. I've seen people riding golf carts in airports...is that just for staff, or is that available for people who are traveling? If he could use one, how do we arrange that and what is the approximate cost? I think he would feel uncomfortable using a wheelchair and having one of us push it, but I will try to encourage him to do that if the golf cart is not an option. Just trying to be prepared. Thanks!

Let the airline know that a wheelchair is needed.

When you get to the airport you can get a chair, usually right at curbside. There will be someone that will handle pushing the chair all the way to the gate. That person will return just before boarding and take him down the ramp all the wau to the aircraft door.

On arrival there will be a chair waiting for him, with a pusher, at the aircraft door. This prerson will take you all the way to baggage claim.

Note that both of these people are in tip positions, so tipping is expected.

We preferred pushing the wheelchair ourselves through the airport. We used SWA airline wheelchairs through the airports but the only time a SWA employee pushed the chair was on that ramp from the gate into the plane itself.

One more note that I wasn't aware of when we used the airport wheelchair for the first time. The person in the wheelchair will pre-board. Some gate agents will allow several people to board with the person in the wheelchair while others will only allow the person in the wheelchair plus 1 other person to assist them. I wouldn't count on everybody in your group pre-boarding. You want to secure your good boarding positions in the same way you would have without having a member of your party in a wheelchair. If you'd normally pay for EBCI then do so this time as well. If you'd normally check in right at T-24 then do so this time as well. Be prepared for your party to not board all together. Some gate agents may allow you to board together but not all will.

Definitely ask for a wheelchair in the airport. It will not only help his get through the airport, but it will let him preboard, so he can take his time getting to a seat, rather than have someone pushing behind him trying to get on.

I can walk short distances, but not long distances. I'm flying Alaska in November. I requested a wheelchair through them. It should be waiting for me when I check in at the counter. (can't check in online because of special request) My husband will be pushing me through both Seattle and Orlando airports. I'm going to call Alaska the night before our flight to make sure that all is arranged both here and at MCO. Will do the same for our return flight. The last time I flew to CA, I had to walk 3 football lengths @ SeaTac from Alaska Terminal to baggage claim. I was in tears from the pain. Never again.

One of the most friendly special needs airports I've ever visited was in Salt Lake City. They had support people all over the airport who would call for a cart to come pick you up and take you to your gate. I loved it there.

I agree with the previous posters that you should get airport assistance for him.

Please note that while one of the previous posters mentions pushing the wheelchair themselves, please note that not all airports allow this and normally it's the airport who actually runs the assistance service, not the airline. Some airports will insist that their employee does the pushing.

Thank you everyone! I called Southwest to arrange the wheelchair service for my dad for both flights. I actually forgot to ask what happens when he gets off the plan in Orlando, and then back in Philly, so maybe I should call back. I also forgot to ask the Southwest rep...since my dad is disabled and can preboard, does that mean preboard before group A or between group a & B like families with small children? Thanks!

Thank you everyone! I called Southwest to arrange the wheelchair service for my dad for both flights. I actually forgot to ask what happens when he gets off the plan in Orlando, and then back in Philly, so maybe I should call back. I also forgot to ask the Southwest rep...since my dad is disabled and can preboard, does that mean preboard before group A or between group a & B like families with small children? Thanks!

If you requested a wheelchair, it should be there for all legs of the trip.

In Orlando, you will likely be last off the plane, as this means he will be able to move as slowly as needed to where a wheelchair will be waiting at the door of the plane.

He and one other person can preboard before ANYONE else. Southwest will only allow one other person to board with him, the rest of your party will have to board with their groups (so you still have to check in online in advance).

Thanks. We figured we'd need to board separatley which is fine. DH and I have children ages 2 and 5, so the Southwest rep said we could board between A & B if we don't get an A boarding pass. Thank you!!

I just wanted to warn about 2 things:

Not all airports have the golf cart courtesy vehicles. We have been in some airports where the passageways between gates are fairly narrow. Those airports usually do not have the golf cart vehicles. Other airports may not have them for other reasons - such as wide passageways, but very congested. So, your only choice in some airports will be a wheelchair (as someone else posted, airline or airport policy may require one of their staff to push it).

Preboarding is not always automatic with a wheelchair (although it may be with Southwest). In the 'way past' , if you had a wheelchair, you were preboarded automatically - more of less required to. Some people with disabilities did not want to be forced to preboard and wanted to board later in the process for their own reasons. When the ADA came into effect, the automatic preboard was no longer required. So, if you want to preboard with a wheelchair, do request it.

Thanks, Sue. The Southwest rep said they supply wheelchairs, and my dad is ok with that now that he realizes how much walking he'd need to do otherwise. Thanks everyone!

My dad will be traveling with us in October. He's renting an ECV for a fairly new disability so will be fine at Disney, but I'm concerned about him getting around the airports...both Philly and MCO going down and heading home. I don't think he can walk that far...the walk from the Southwest terminal to the Magical Express entrance is quite far, and the Philly airport requires a bit of walking as well. I've seen people riding golf carts in airports...is that just for staff, or is that available for people who are traveling? If he could use one, how do we arrange that and what is the approximate cost? I think he would feel uncomfortable using a wheelchair and having one of us push it, but I will try to encourage him to do that if the golf cart is not an option. Just trying to be prepared. Thanks!

By all means when u hit the front door of first airport go to desk and request w/c and have dad sit. They will bring u one immediately and then ask your airline to call ahead to Orlando and one will be waiting for u on ramp even before stepping foot on ground. Folks with disabilities even new ones will get priority tx. nurse here and good luck

Thanks, Sue. The Southwest rep said they supply wheelchairs, and my dad is ok with that now that he realizes how much walking he'd need to do otherwise. Thanks everyone!

Have you planned for when your at WDW for all the walking there?as the wheel chair gets very hard on person pushing it over those bricks and cement up and down ramps. :headache:You can call and rent a scooter before you go that will be at resort when you arrive until you leave and is not that expensive by the week then you have from room to on the bus to into the parks from the buses as is a long walk in itself.:worship: If you rent by the day from WDW you ONLY have the scooter while in the park. If he has not drove one have him practice in the grocery or Wal Mart or Target they all have huge baskets and the ones you rent are way smaller and much easier to drive as go by our weight etc. then trip will be easier for all:cheer2:

Note that both of these people are in tip positions, so tipping is expected.

Preboarding is not always automatic with a wheelchair (although it may be with Southwest).

This place is awesome. I was just about to start a new thread asking this exact same question. My wife can walk, but probably not far enough especially at MCO.

Cheshire I never would have expected that. I'm glad you posted that. Thanks.

Sue, I will board first and get us seats and she will board after th crowd. She always sits in a middle seat and I always sit on the aisle, so I assume that once we arrive at the gate we can tell the person pushing the WC that we will be OK from there. Thanks for your help. This has been bothering me for a while.

One other question if I may though. The cost of renting a WC for 2 weeks is roughly what I could buy one for. We will not need one long-term - but you never know. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to bringing your own WC or is it just a big hassle? We are renting from Walker and I am fine with them. It is a smooth process, I think. Thanks again

Also be aware that in the airports that do not allow your family/companions to push you in the WC (Atlanta is the only one I can come up with at the moment), the employee will push you to your next gate and deposit you in a chair, where you are held hostage until boarding. So, if you need the WC to, for example, get to the bathroom during a long lay over, be sure to speak up or you could be really stuck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter