Different/special things for solo trips?

I'm going solo in May and was also looking at the Undiscovered Future World tour. Is that cool? I've also been mulling over Epcot Dive Quest. I keep hearing how amazing Wild Africa Trek is, so maybe I should really consider doing it. I'll also be staying at AKL, so would anyone recommend the night safari? How about tea at GF? What's that about?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

As per the OP, I think doing a tour is the best way to stay active, engaged, and kill some time without feeling like all we're doing is waiting in line for rides. I plan on doing a lot more "seeing" as in, walking every inch of every park or resort and just looking at what's there. This is important for me as I'm coming out from California, so I don't get many chances to see how much bigger and different WDW is compared to DL.

I'll be there in May as well, May 10th and 11th at AKL and 12th-15 at BWV.

I've done dive quest a number of times and enjoy it. You need to be a certified diver and must have you cert card with you. Good to do solo since you are in a group and they put at least 3 dive masters down there with you. You do sort of a mini-behind the scenes tour, get instructions on what not to do, do a mini-led dive then are on your own to swim around the tank. I think the actual dive time is around 15 to 20 min. The water is pretty cold for me (70 something) so I always ask for two wet suits since I start shivering almost as soon as I hit the water. I like going over to the restaurant and sort of playing peek a book and waving at the kids.

I do the tea at GF every time I'm at DW, almost always solo. I love it and use it as my afternoon meal and also get the tea that includes a sparkling wine. You can find the menu somewhere on this site, can't remember where. It's not cheap.

Have heard mixed reviews on the night safari, some love it some say it isn't worth it since evidently you can get night goggles and view the animals from the viewing area at the lodge. I'm signed up for the afternoon safari that includes a meal, only available to guests. Looking forward to that.

Behind the Seeds at EPCOT for sure! It's just a couple hours. I really enjoyed going to the food booths during F&G last week and eating whatever I wanted, and loved not having to worry about seating down for a real meal because the booth food doesn't make someone else in the party happy.... I also went to a restaurant I'd never been to - just for me.
Also - as dumb as it sounds = I like to play SOTMK - and I still need some of the cards - so I literally went to MK for a few minutes each day - just to play a couple portals, ride maybe one ride - and then leave to do other things. There's no way I could have done that with traveling companions!

It sounds like you only have a few days so you may wish to be cautious about over-scheduling yourself with tours. Behind the Seeds at EPCOT is great if you are really looking for another tour. However, you might just enjoy rope drop at your fav park and hit the rides/attractions that you really love without having to compromise with anyone else. I've taken a number of solo trips to Disney World over the past few years and found there are always fun, new things to see and do. You may wish to eat at restaurants that you know others may not want to try. For example, Restaurant Marrakesh or Tokyo Dining. Perhaps there is a splurge dinner that you have always craved. Your time will go by in a flash so maybe just pencil in a "selfish my day" to hit those things that you've always been curious about but know that traveling companions would grouse about. A day at AK to enjoy the Kili Safari 2x in a row in the early morning, a walk on Pangani Trail, a fun table service lunch at Yak & Yeti, great mini broadway calibre shows at Nemo and Lion King, Boma for dinner at AK Lodge and walking out to see the animals before dinner. Perhaps F&G at Epcot for the day and then a boat ride from Epcot International Gateway to Cape May Buffet for a big dinner and crab legs. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!

I've done dive quest a number of times and enjoy it. You need to be a certified diver and must have you cert card with you. Good to do solo since you are in a group and they put at least 3 dive masters down there with you

I am an avid diver, currently Rescue certified, so as long I remember to bring my cert card that shouldn't be a problem. It was more the time commitment. Since I'm only in WDW for 4 days and want to do EVERYTHING, my time is quite precious. Is the Dive Quest really that special, or is it more of a niche novelty that allows some people to dive where they normally wouldn't be able to?

I'm signed up for the afternoon safari that includes a meal, only available to guests. Looking forward to that.

What's this afternoon safari?? I haven't seen or heard about this! Do I need to sign up through Disney tours or through the AKL?

A day at AK to enjoy the Kili Safari 2x in a row in the early morning, a walk on Pangani Trail, a fun table service lunch at Yak & Yeti, great mini broadway calibre shows at Nemo and Lion King, Boma for dinner at AK Lodge and walking out to see the animals before dinner.

This sounds like an excellent idea. The Kilimanjaro Safari's is easily my favorite attraction/ride in all of WDW; it's just so different than anything at DL. Going into the park early and riding it a few times makes perfect sense, especially since I'll be at AKL. What about those shows? I've never done them. About how long do they run?

As for the EPCOT tours, what are people's experiences with Behind the Seeds vs. Undiscovered EPCOT.

The 2 shows at AK run about an hour each including time spent in the line. They are available for fastpass. Most on the boards would tell you not to waste a fastpass on them as regular general admission seating is good. I usually fastpass at least one of the two because I really enjoy the close up fastpass seating area and I often struggle at AK with filling my third fastpass slot anyway. Check out both Finding Nemo and Festival of the Lion King on youtube if you want a preview to see if you would like.

I am an avid diver, currently Rescue certified, so as long I remember to bring my cert card that shouldn't be a problem. It was more the time commitment. Since I'm only in WDW for 4 days and want to do EVERYTHING, my time is quite precious. Is the Dive Quest really that special, or is it more of a niche novelty that allows some people to dive where they normally wouldn't be able to?

It is about 3 hours (or more don't remember but the website will say) so if you are strapped for time it might not be worth it for you. I guess it would according to where you have been diving and what kind of creatures you've been in the water with. There are a couple of sharks, turtles, spotted eagle rays and various other species. It's just a big ole aquarium. We have been diving in both the Carrabean and the South Pacific so it's not anything I've not been in the water with before but I'm guessing if you haven't been in the water with a shark it might be exciting. It's not very challenging, to tell you the truth I tend to use it as a check out dive if I haven't been in the water in awhile and have a trip planned.

What's this afternoon safari?? I haven't seen or heard about this! Do I need to sign up through Disney tours or through the AKL?

You have to book it directly through AKL, here is a description off the dis page: Wanyama Safari: This tour is exclusively offered to guests staying at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. This three hour experience gives guests an opportunity to tour with members of the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge's animal programs team. You'll learn of the development of the resort's safaris and what goes into maintaining the animals in a resort environment. Bring your camera for unique photos taken from the resort's Savannas. Following your in-depth tour, you'll have dinner at Jiko - The Cooking Place, the Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge's award winning restaurant. This tour is limited to 12 guests and can be reserved 90 days in advance through the Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort Itinerary Planning Office at 407-938-4755. There is an excellent review posted by Figment which I can't find right now but I'll keep looking.

This sounds like an excellent idea. The Kilimanjaro Safari's is easily my favorite attraction/ride in all of WDW; it's just so different than anything at DL. Going into the park early and riding it a few times makes perfect sense, especially since I'll be at AKL. What about those shows? I've never done them. About how long do they run?

As for the EPCOT tours, what are people's experiences with Behind the Seeds vs. Undiscovered EPCOT.

personally, i highly recommend the Epcot Segway tour; it was super-fun and totally solo-applicable.
Unfortunately this tour has been discontinued. My parents did this in 2012 and LOVED it and that was the last year it was open. This is something I would have loved to do.

For my solo trip in November, since I'll be there for 10 days I am thinking of doing a tour. I've done KTTK tour and loved it. I am thinking of Undiscovered Future World Tour, since Epcot is my favorite park. For $64, it seems worth it for me.

Unfortunately this tour has been discontinued. My parents did this in 2012 and LOVED it and that was the last year it was open. This is something I would have loved to do.
OH NO! CawfeeMate and i had such a great time on that! come to think of it, that was in 2012...
did they discontinue the one through Animal Kingdom, too? it was an off-road kinda thing...

OH NO! CawfeeMate and i had such a great time on that! come to think of it, that was in 2012...
did they discontinue the one through Animal Kingdom, too? it was an off-road kinda thing...
Was the AK one a segway tour? I know they had a segway tour in Fort Wilderness too and that has also been discontinued. I don't think there are any segway tours anymore.

For my solo trip in November, since I'll be there for 10 days I am thinking of doing a tour. I've done KTTK tour and loved it. I am thinking of Undiscovered Future World Tour, since Epcot is my favorite park. For $64, it seems worth it for me.

That's a great idea. I always have loved any tour that's in my favorite park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter