"Different" music suggestions

paintnolish

<font color=darkorchid>You'd think a sniff in the
I am in a music rut and need new tunes. I really like a bit of everything-not too much country or rap, but I like the occasional crossover. I like unique, quirky, fun music. I also like things with hints of other cultures, like a Latin influence. Some artists I am adding to the Ipod are Beirut, Matisyahu, Monsters of Folk and Panda Bear. So, funky Disers, what do you suggest?

I like Imogen Heap, Justin Nozuka, Sam Sparro, Kid Beyond. Just a few that are cool and a little obscure!

I hear about lots of little known artists and even genres on NPR. The other day during All Things Considered, they were highlighting this band from Sierra Leone that sounded neat. I hear a lot of indie and international stuff that way.

I like:
Mika
Florence +the Machine
Rodrigo y Gabriella

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am going to youtube 'em and see what strikes my fancy!

Gogol Bordello. They are a gypsy band that plays music with some non-standard instruments and rhythm.

New band I read about in Rolling Stone .... I checked them out and they are fabulous, I think..... Called Free Energy.

I always recommend Paolo Nutini. Start with These Streets rather than Sunny Side Up. Even though SSU is my favorite, it's a little *much* for some people :laughing:

Carbon Leaf. Pretty and lyrical. Love them.

Some amazing blues rock from a very young kid from the UK (well, the Isle of Mann) ... you won't believe he's only like 21.... Davey Knowles and Back Door Slam. First album is probably the best - published under the name of the band, "Back Door Slam," called Roll Away

If you like real "world" music, and if you like live music, check out one of my favorite live acts out of Washington DC...Scythian. They are always on the road and also have 2 live albums out. One of the most fun shows you'll ever see (and kind of fun to look at too). They play Celtic, World, Gypsy music. Fun!

Justin Nozuka
Mama and the Diamonds -- "Mowgli's Road" is really good.
Ben Kweller
Paolo Nutini
Plants and Animals
She and Him -- I really like "In the Sun".
The Temper Trap

Enjoy! :goodvibes

Here are a few of my faves recently. They're mostly Canadian artists, but well worth a listen to

Arcade Fire
K-Naan
K-Os
Lupe Fiasco
Great Big Sea

It's not new music, but try some Astrud Gilberto music since you like music with a Latin influence. I also like listening to old Sergio Mendes and Herb Alpert stuff.

If you like really good, thoughtful lyrics and acoustic singer/songwriter type music, give David Wilcox a try.

Gogol Bordello. They are a gypsy band that plays music with some non-standard instruments and rhythm.
:rotfl2: My first thought was, "It's a pirate," but I then thought, "It's Borat!" The strangest thing is, I think it is growing on me!

Another vote for Rodrigo y Gabriella. For quirk factor I'll second Imogene Heap and add Jessica Hoop.:)

Well, I have spent my "productive" morning youtubing and am about half-way through the suggestions.
She and Him- Didn't know it was Zooey. She is adorable and has such a classic sounding voice. I already have a few downloads from Yes Man.
Paolo Nutini- Had heard the New Shoes song, but I didn't know who the artist was. TY! Picked a lot of others to download.

Those are the few I will comment on, since I am planning on downloading from almost every artist listed so far! These are exactly what I've been looking for.
Also, how do you find out about these artists? I live in central IL, so we don't have a good alternative or indie station like Chicago does. I don't watch a lot of tv or listen to the radio either.

Maybe a little too far out, but I'd recommend Natacha Atlas and B'z. Atlas fuses upbeat Arabic and Western styles and B'z is arguably one of the best Japanese rock bands (they're not heavy rock but have a variety of styles). Both are easy to find on YouTube, and on US iTunes although B'z only has like 6 songs there.

If I were at home I could probably come up with much more since I've listened to stuff from all over the world (a lot of Asian stuff mostly, though).

Well, I have spent my "productive" morning youtubing and am about half-way through the suggestions.
She and Him- Didn't know it was Zooey. She is adorable and has such a classic sounding voice. I already have a few downloads from Yes Man.
Paolo Nutini- Had heard the New Shoes song, but I didn't know who the artist was. TY! Picked a lot of others to download.

Those are the few I will comment on, since I am planning on downloading from almost every artist listed so far! These are exactly what I've been looking for.
Also, how do you find out about these artists? I live in central IL, so we don't have a good alternative or indie station like Chicago does. I don't watch a lot of tv or listen to the radio either.

I never listen to the radio, but pay a LOT of attention to music. I flip through Rolling Stone and will give at least one listen to any artists that sounds good on paper. Just about every week, I take a listen to new albums that have been released. I pay attention to music on TV. Talk shows often give a stage to new musicians. If I like their sound, I'll research them a little more.

I found Paolo on TV. Remember the Live Earth concert in 07? He was on there and got my attention BIG time! I've since seen him in concert twice, met him and his band. Live Paolo is really special - he has a real love for fun music which is where I think his second album came from. Ah, I could go on and on.

Oh, hey if you like She and Him, check out Duffy. You probably have heard "Mercy" but her whole album (the one and only) is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter