Differences typhoon lagoon vs blizzard beach??

It sounds like typhoon lagoon might be the better choice for a family with a 4 y/o, 2 y/o, and infant?
Typhoon Lagoon seems like it has a better area for younger kids, Blizzard Beach has always seemed more for preteens to me.

To be honest I find them both disappointing. Not really bad just not up to Disney standards for upkeep and theming. It almost feels like you left Disney property and visited somewhere else for the day. Of course, maybe some people like it because it gives them a day that isn't quite so Disney hyped. It also feels like you run out of things to do far too quickly to spend a whole day.

Anyhow, my family prefers Blizzard Beach. The best thing at TL was the wave pool.

Doesn't one have a significantly longer and more detailed lazy river vs the other? And one LR is deeper than the other? How does the BB wave pool waves compare to the TL waves during the calmer period? How do the kiddie areas compare, is one bigger than the other? I know BB has the ski patrol, but it seems kids need to be a certain height to reach the ropes and be able to swim well for that area or the zip line.

I don't have exact measurements, but the lazy rivers seem about the same length to me. If one is longer, it's only marginally so. The themes are different, but they're similar in concept. Both have a waterfall style feature you have to pass under and other water sprayers. As for depth, BB is slightly deeper in most spots. I believe it's 3ft and TL is 2ft 6in in most spots, but again they're very similar in depth. BB flows a bit faster than TL.

During the calm periods, both wave pools are completely calm, just like a regular pool, so they're the same. I think TL does some periods of small waves, but we didn't experience those (been to TL 3 times in the past few weeks).

The kiddie area is better at BB in my opinion. Yes, the kids need to be a certain height to reach the ropes for the iceberg crossing, but I've seen plenty of tiny kids just hop from pad to pad without the ropes. Most of those kids are wearing life vests so when they fall in, it's no big deal. They also have nice small slides. TL is nice too, but not quite as well sorted as BB for kids under 10.

We love both water parks. They're very fun and very Disney.

Ugh TL has sand??

Yes, TL has sand all over the place. BB is covered in concrete. There is concrete everywhere. I think that is why I prefer TL. The theme is executed better I think. BB is a ski resort in Florida which I suppose is cool for people that aren't used to snow and ski resorts but there are concrete mounds painted white to simulate snow everywhere and the sun just bounces off them. I also find the queues to be less well done at BB than they are in TL.

Also, if shade is important to you, it is more plentiful at TL than it is BB.

How do the kiddie areas compare, is one bigger than the other? I know BB has the ski patrol, but it seems kids need to be a certain height to reach the ropes and be able to swim well for that area or the zip line.

BB has two different areas for kids, Tike's Peak and Ski Patrol. Tike's Peak is for younger kids. It's pretty big and has a fountain splash area, a shallow wading area, and a few small slides. Ski Patrol is technically the "pre-teen" area but my son was riding the slides there by the time he was 4. He couldn't do the zip line however, you're correct.

TL only has 1 kids area similar to Tike's Peak except smaller. My son never really seemed to like it much. It's really for babies/toddlers.

I suggest you check out the different areas on YouTube.

TL's wave pool can get VERY dangerous.. The wave itself is not that bad.. they blast a gun shot and ONE wave comes.. does knock you over and under but nothing else comes, so you "recover" time.. Smaller kids are ok on the shallow end, though might scrape their knees..

the problem though is you have some rude, incosiderate, basically "A" .... hole types who will Bodysurf the wave from the deep end and plow anything, or anyone in their direct path of hit.. they shoot out from the deep end like a bullet and somehow manage the whole length to the shallow end...

My husband was getting MAD last year.. he got plowed and hit on the head many times ( these body surfers continue to plow past you after they crash into you) DH was like how can lifeguards be so anal and blow the whistle on every little thing that is actually safe but when adults are plowing little kids down they dont do anything ???

DH and I did TL before kids, but so far we've only done BB with the kids, at ages 4, 6 and 8. We all LOVE BB!!! The kid areas are amazing and the family ride is so fun. Also, the wave pool is calmer than TL.

TL is on our list to go try with the kids soon!

We had always heard BB for small kids...we actually preferred TL with our 2 and 4 year old. The Katchakiddie area was a HUGE hit- they liked it more than the BB kids area. My older kids and husband preferred TL as well in terms of bigger rides. I honestly got little girl duty the day at BB so I never got to realy rides the big rides at BB, but I thoroughly enjoyed the rides at TL.

Husband did not like the Christmas music at BB, much preferred the tropical feel at TL. I really was indifferent to it.

Wave pool is crazy at TL. Fine for my older ones- though I still wouldn't let my eye go on my 11 year old even for a second due to undertow- my kids have never really been swimming in an ocean. But even the little slide on the side that one poster made note on- my 2 and 4 year old couldn't even walk on that side without being taken off their feet. I actually loved the wave pol for this reason personally- but not as a mother.

I really think it all comes down to personal preference.

I'm almost positive that BB has some sandy areas too.....right in front of the wave pool. Not as much as TL, but there is still sand there.

If you get water park tickets for a day (not the water park and more tickets) can you jump between BB and TL in the same day? If so, is there a bus that goes direct between them or is it a huge hassle and time waste?

I too have been looking at the Cabanas at TL. I see that other folks said they are a waste of money, but given my mom doesn't like to do a lot of the water slides, pretty much only the lazy river, it will be a nice treat for her to sit in some tropical "luxury." There will be six adults on the trip and the cabanas hold six adults, 6 chairs, water/towels, a locker, and 6 refillable drinks mugs are included. For me it's a nice little treat.

Totally agree. We have had a cabana at TL several times. It makes staying all day very comfortable. I like to do all the fun things but I also like to be in the shade, read a book and relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter