differences cruising from PC vs Miami

randomiam79

Mouseketeer
We just booked our first cruise out of Miami, on the 'new' Magic in November. We have only cruised DCL out of Port Canaveral. Any tips on cruising from Miami this time. I know its probably nothing huge, but we've just become so comfortable with the Disney terminal at PC.
What is parking like?
Any differences regarding port arrival times, etc?

My wife and I cruised out of Miami in March on the Wonder for the WC Cruise. There really is not much difference from PC. There is very little "Disney" at the terminal. The people outside had Mickey hands and inside there were banners. That's basically all the Disney that was there. The port times were the same. There is parking across the street. We paid $20 per day. I've heard there are other lots around, but I don't know. We were happy paying that knowing where our car was and some level of security. It was a public garage though.

My wife and I cruised out of Miami in March on the Wonder for the WC Cruise. There really is not much difference from PC. There is very little "Disney" at the terminal. The people outside had Mickey hands and inside there were banners. That's basically all the Disney that was there. The port times were the same. There is parking across the street. We paid $20 per day. I've heard there are other lots around, but I don't know. We were happy paying that knowing where our car was and some level of security. It was a public garage though.
That's how Galveston's port is also. (very little Disney) :(

Same with NY and Vancouver....nature of the game. They do hang banners and signage but nothing like PC as far as Disneyesque!

This thread may be helpful. I am reading it now as we just booked for the 10/27 Magic out of Miami and figuring out logistica from WDW (flying into MCO and flying out of PBI.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2897908 (official Miami Thread)

MJ

PortMiami is... big. Really big. The first day we sailed out of it there were a record-breaking number of ships sailing. It was crowded and well, it was new to us.

It is "very little Disney" in the terminal but honestly you're not there very long? I didn't hugely miss it. One quirk we noticed is that the gangway does not extend low enough to meet up with Deck 3 on the classics (we were on the Wonder both times) so you actually board at the top of the atrium on Deck 4.

On the positive end it's a really beautiful sail away. You sail right out of downtown with the skyline and the beaches at the end, quite different from the basically industrial/commercial PC version. You're also traveling toward open water much longer.

I did some research about parking around the area and wasn't satisfied with the safety/reviews/issues I found so we parked at the port itself.

Depending on where you're driving from a rental car might be cheaper than parking and you put the wear and tear on it instead. Worth looking into.

I've not sailed on Disney out of Miami but have sailed RCI out of Miami. I wanted to mention that sailing out of Miami is gorgeous. One of our favorite ports to sail out of. A lot of beautiful photo ops. Also if you happen to be awake when you come back, the city is beautiful when you dock.

Same with NY and Vancouver....nature of the game. They do hang banners and signage but nothing like PC as far as Disneyesque!

This thread may be helpful. I am reading it now as we just booked for the 10/27 Magic out of Miami and figuring out logistica from WDW (flying into MCO and flying out of PBI.

MJ

MJ,
We are on the 11/6 sailing, and I am searching airfare. It is very high!!! I tried HPN, EWR, and LGA. I think we may have to go out of LGA.

You mention flying out of PBI. I assume you got a good rate. How are you getting to the Port if you don't mind me asking? THANKS!!!!

Donna

MJ

Thanks for posting this link MJ, I've been searching andknew it had to be somewhere!

We have sailed out of Miami on DCL twice.

Both times we used DCL transportation from the airport. Its about a 35 minute process. One time our hotel dropped us off at the airport, the other time we returned a rental car to MIA.

Near Security
P1100017.JPG

Outside views
P1100035.JPG

P1100042.JPG

The first time we didn't sail from PC was a NYC sailing. It felt weird until we boarded then it was just like old times. Same with Seattle & Barcelona. Now, I'm over the whole PC thing. Sure it's nice but there are so many other places to cruise to and still the same awesome DCL service. Time spent at the port is a blip.
Enjoy your cruise!! :goodvibes

MJ,
We are on the 11/6 sailing, and I am searching airfare. It is very high!!! I tried HPN, EWR, and LGA. I think we may have to go out of LGA.

You mention flying out of PBI. I assume you got a good rate. How are you getting to the Port if you don't mind me asking? THANKS!!!!

Donna

I plan on picking up a car at MCO when we land in Florida and keep it with us at WDW and then drive down to the port area on morning of the cruise. I hope to return it at Budget at MIA and take a shuttle from MIA to port. I heard Budget has a comp shuttle from MIA to port so I am keeping my fingers crossed. If they don't then we will just hop in a cab.

When we disembark we are renting a car, again from Budget and hope to take their shuttle from the port to MIA to pick up the car. We have family near PBI so we are flying home from there as our flight is not until 5:00 pm). I got a one-way rental for the day we disembark for about $60 for a full size car.

I keep getting conflicting reports on Budget's shuttle from/to MIA and port so have to check further.

I got airfare from EWR on United for $234 pp..I booked it last month.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter