Differences between Port Canaveral and Port of Miami?

TheWescotts

Mouseketeer
We are cruising out of Miami on the Magic this fall. We have only cruised out of PC in the past.

What differences can we expect? What are some good things to know. We plan to drive to port, staying at WDW the night before.

I think the primary difference is that the DCL terminal at Port Canaveral is owned by and exclusively used by DCL. At Port of Miami DCL is simply renting space in a terminal shared by other cruise lines. From pictures I've seen, it's really not "Disney-fied" so might be a bit of a disappointment, but presumably one you get over as soon as you board the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Miami is much smaller so I wouldn't get to the port too early because there are not a lot of places to sit and wait. They did have a character come out to take photos with and they had Disney signage.

It's about a 3.5 hour drive without traffic. The traffic can be very bad on this route.

Reports are that disembarkation is done like in Vancouver and unlike PC. You will have to wait for your character tags to be called to get off the ship and collect your luggage. This is due to the area not being big enough to put all of the luggage out at once. You can keep your luggage with you and be one of the first off the ship before the tags start being called if you have an earlier flight.

If the terminal really is that small, they may enforce PATs to control capacity until boarding starts.

We are cruising out of Miami on the Magic this fall. We have only cruised out of PC in the past.

What differences can we expect? What are some good things to know. We plan to drive to port, staying at WDW the night before.

I'm interested as well, as we are sailing on the Magic in November from Miami. I am still searching for a return flight and am debating between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, whichever has a better price.

We've not sailed out of Miami on Disney but RCL. We are sailing on the Magic this fall as well. Miami is a gorgeous port to sail out of, especially at sunset. We live in Orlando and don't find the drive to Miami to be that bad.

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. Keep em coming. Know that the terminal is smaller, and PATS will likely be enforced gives us a good indication that we should not rush to leave WDW the morning of.

Is the traffic between FT. Laud and Miami bad on Sunday mornings?

I have read elsewhere that you enter the ship on a different deck in Miami, onto deck 4 and not into the atrium...do the still welcome you over the speakers onto the ship?

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. Keep em coming. Know that the terminal is smaller, and PATS will likely be enforced gives us a good indication that we should not rush to leave WDW the morning of.

Is the traffic between FT. Laud and Miami bad on Sunday mornings?

I have read elsewhere that you enter the ship on a different deck in Miami, onto deck 4 and not into the atrium...do the still welcome you over the speakers onto the ship?

Yes, they welcomed our family when we boarded.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter