Difference in Mods and Delux

AmyinKY

Mouseketeer
My husband asked me about the difference between the two last night. I know the difference between values and mods, but off the top of my head I could not give him an answer. He want to upgrade to either two rooms or a suite of some sort. We have a 16dd and a 12ds. More room would be nice on an eight night trip. I did try to search for a thread on this topic, but alas, I could not get the search function to work. We are stay in POFQ as of right now.

Thanks
Amy

Consider renting points from a DVC member and get yourself a 1 bedroom villa. Size wise you and your family will absolutely love it. Price wise it may cost about the same as a mod.....little more than a value. But you get more square footage, full kitchen, laundry........if you would like PM me and I can give you an idea of what it may cost you.....

Brownie

There are general differences in Budget, Mod and Deluxe. You have experienced Budget to Mod and noted the differences there. The differences are somewhat suttle but big enough to make a difference in your desire to stay in one or the other. Room size is the biggest thing that many people will cite immediately. Mods are slightly bigger than budget and deluxe is slightly bigger than mod. The furnishings in each category become somewhat more "refined" in appearance as you go up the scale. Mods now have a refrigerator. You have to ask for this at a budget. Deluxes have this amenity and more. Pools at the Mods have a slide where Budget hotels do not. The deluxe hotels have slides as well. It is these types of suttle differences as you go up toward deluxe that make the overall difference. Deluxes have concierge, valet parking, on site restaurants that are top notch venues for Disney. They are typically located in close proximity to a park. Most deluxes are close to MK. They offer more variety of transport as at least three are on the monorail line. They have shops and such as well. My problem here is that for the price I simply cannot justify the difference between Moderate to Deluxe while I can from Budget to Moderate. The difference in room size is not so great. The services are not that different and I do not wish to use the services that the deluxes have over the moderates really ( I am not a valet parking type guy).

We are upgrading from the CBR to the WL. We have never gone deluxe before and I am so excited.

The rooms at the deluxe resorts are larger than the moderate resorts. There are concierge levels and more amenities offered at the deluxe resorts too. I know that the Wilderness Lodge has two full service restaurants where the moderates just have one. The deluxe pools are supposed to have more WOW factor. The locations of the deluxe resorts are a big draw too.

We decided to upgrade this year because we have always wanted to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. We only have one big vacation per year and this year we're splurging.

Deluxe has queen sized beds
Moderate has double beds

Deluxe have more options for table service dining.
Moderates usually have been counter service dining, plus one table service dining.

Deluxe has a balcony or porch.
Moderate no balcony, only the walkway where your room entrance is.

Deluxe are usually connected to a theme park - boat or walk or monorail to the theme park. You may need to take a bus to get to some of the theme parks.

Moderates you have to take the bus.

A lot more Money for a Deluxe.:sad2:
I'd rather use the extra money for souveniers.:flower3:
Even if you are staying at a MOD or Value Resort you can still
eat at any of the TS Restaurants at the Deluxe resorts.

Also deluxes have interior corridors whereas at a mod you enter your room from outside.

A lot more Money for a Deluxe.:sad2:
I'd rather use the extra money for souveniers.:flower3:

I totally, 100% agree w/ this... sometimes...

If it's our only trip of the year to WDW, I want to be able to walk or at least boat or monorail to a park (all of the deluxes except AKL, which is said to be more inbetween a mod and deluxe anyway)... there's nothing like walking to epcot and mgm (forgive me, i forget what it's call now)... or walking or monorailing to MK (then there's the boats too!)

but if it's our 2nd trip of the year, i'd rather save the money and try a new moderate resort and get a whole new experience.

I love to make each trip different! This next time, we're trying the Dolphin for the first time for $184.50 (ap rate w/ free view upgrade) - I *need* to walk to world showcase every night for dinner and pin trading, since we haven't been to WDW for a whole, entire, long year (not long enough for dh, WAY too long for me!)

For me, the main difference in mod vs deluxe is location.

I totally, 100% agree w/ this... sometimes...

If it's our only trip of the year to WDW, I want to be able to walk or at least boat or monorail to a park (all of the deluxes except AKL, which is said to be more inbetween a mod and deluxe anyway)... there's nothing like walking to epcot and mgm (forgive me, i forget what it's call now)... or walking or monorailing to MK (then there's the boats too!)

but if it's our 2nd trip of the year, i'd rather save the money and try a new moderate resort and get a whole new experience.

I love to make each trip different! This next time, we're trying the Dolphin for the first time for $184.50 (ap rate w/ free view upgrade) - I *need* to walk to world showcase every night for dinner and pin trading, since we haven't been to WDW for a whole, entire, long year (not long enough for dh, WAY too long for me!)

For me, the main difference in mod vs deluxe is location.

AKL is deluxe all the way!...its nothing at all like a Mod.:scared1: .Have you seen the lobby!...the savannah!..the rooms1...Boma!..Jilko!...its fantastic.
I've stayed in Mods and they are a million miles from AKL.

Moderate has double beds

Moderates usually have been counter service dining, plus one table service dining.

Deluxe are usually connected to a theme park - boat or walk or monorail to the theme park. You may need to take a bus to get to some of the theme parks.

As you can see here, there are a lot of significant differences between a Deluxe and a Mod. If you're one of those people that doesn't care about room size, bed size, location or whatever, then you're better off staying in a value. I've never been able to understand why people pay extra for moderates when you get next to nothing for that money. If you're interested in having more than just a place to crash at the end of the day, then book a deluxe. If not, book a value. The only "if" sentence I can think of that ends in "book a moderate" would begin "If you want to spend more money but get nothing for it . . ."

But, if you're interested in having enough space for your family, I'd suggest looking at the family suites they have at the values now. I haven't checked them out lately, but I think they're about the same price as a moderate. Although the deluxes are bigger than the mods, which are bigger than the values, the size alone isn't enough to justify the difference in price. And depending on the one you choose, there may not be a price difference. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rooms in the WL and AKL are smaller than the other values (and I think the oldies (CR and Poly) have rooms bigger than the other deluxes). And I think the rooms in the CBR are bigger than the other mods. But I'm not sure an extra 50 or 100 square feet would satisfy you, if that is really you're concern. But a second room with a second bathroom might be just what you need, even if they are smaller.

I also enjoy the bathroom set-up in the Deluxes. They are separated from the rest of the room, without the need for a curtain. I like the feel of coming "home" thru the grand lobbies.

We are upgrading from the CBR to the WL. We have never gone deluxe before and I am so excited.

The rooms at the deluxe resorts are larger than the moderate resorts. There are concierge levels and more amenities offered at the deluxe resorts too. I know that the Wilderness Lodge has two full service restaurants where the moderates just have one. The deluxe pools are supposed to have more WOW factor. The locations of the deluxe resorts are a big draw too.

We decided to upgrade this year because we have always wanted to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. We only have one big vacation per year and this year we're splurging.

:wave: If you have a std rather than deluxe room at WL the room size will not be much different ~ CBR rooms are 340 sq ft snd WL rooms 344 sq ft :)

BUT the other differences I am sure you will enjoy - the boat to MK, the pools, the restaurants, ambiance...all wonderful!

Just did not want you to expect a much larger room and be disappointed.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

Having stayed at both WL and CBR, I really thought the rooms were the same size. The only big difference for me bewteen mods and deluxe are the indoor corridors.

I am staying in October at CBR(40% off code). Could have taken WL but difference was 370.00. however.......

If I were going in the summer months, I would have gladly shelled out the 370.00 extra to stay at WL. It's really important for me to stay in a deluxe during the height of the summer. I enjoy just hanging aroung the lobby taking a break and people watching. Plus the proximity to MK of the WL it a plus too, as is the boat to MK. Plus, if it raining outside for an extended period of time, the lobby is a good idea to escape from your room.

Other then summer, staying at a mod is fine for me. Looking forward to my third trip to CBR and seeing that brand new pool area.

I'm with browniemtb. Consider renting a 1 bedroom from a DVC owner at one of the resorts that is close to a park. The Boardwalk and BeachClub Villas are right outside Epcot and you walk in and out of the World Showcase easily. If you prefer the MK, I highly recommend the Wilderness Lodge Villas which are a relaxing 5 minute boat ride away and my favorite. There is a rent/trade board here on the Dis but don't be surprised if someone you know is a DVC owner willing to rent you some points. I only rent points to people I know. Good Luck!!!

A one bedroom only has a king size in the bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living area, right? If the OP has a son and a daughter that may not work out the best. If they are teenagers I assume they both need their own sleeping space.

Lori - You are right - I didn't think of that. I guess the only way to do that may be if the girls get the king size bed and the gentlemen take the open up couch. Or they could bring an aerobed along as there is plenty of space and the DS could take that - after all he is going to Disney FREE of charge.;)

Thank you so much for your input. We are going in Sept during the bounceback promotion from last year. We stayed at CSR last year and that was too big of a resort for us. So, I went with POFQ when I made the ressie last year. So, I am not sure if we can even change resorts to keep the free dining perk. For us, rack rate vs. paying for our food out of pocket is a wash. Disney would have gotten our money one way or the other. Anyway, now I have some great / helpful info to pass on to my husband. We have a lot to consider for our vacation next year.

Amy

Moderate has double beds

This is a very good post. I will also add the Deluxe hotels, with the exception of the POLY and to a lesser extent, the GF, are all "one hotel building" where as the moderates are a huge series of buildings all spread out. For example, if you stay at the YC everywhere you can walk to you are in that hotel-restaurants, store, pool, bus stop, etc. You can just walk out your lobby doors and the bus stop is right there. Or walk out the other way and the boat to Epcot and MGM is right there. If you stay at the CB resort for example, you may be located in a building very far from food, the main pool, the bus stop, a resort gift shop, etc. This could be a hassle if it's raining or you just want to go to the gift shop for a quick item.

The POLY has buildings also, but is way, way smaller than say CB or CSR, so you are closer to those things. GF has multiple buildings also, but is even more compact-I think anyway.

A really big thing for me is that Deluxe hotel rooms have 2 queen beds and a day bed, so a family of 5 can stay there. The moderate resorts have 2 double beds. My family could never spend a week sleeping comfortably like that. Also, 1 bdr DVC villas only have 1 king and a sleeper sofa. I personaly prefer the setup of a deluxe hotel room (2 queens plus a daybed) to the setup of a 1 bdr villa. :goodvibes

...Also, 1 bdr DVC villas only have 1 king and a sleeper sofa. I personaly prefer the setup of a deluxe hotel room (2 queens plus a daybed) to the setup of a 1 bdr villa. :goodvibes

As long as I get to sleep in that king sized bed, I don't care what my son has to sleep in. And he usually doesn't mind sleeping in the queen sized sleeper sofa by himself.

We love the Wilderness Lodge, the pool is great and the boat to MK is a really nice way to start a day off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter