Difference between TSM & Space Ranger Spin?

Lindymagoo

Earning My Ears
Is it just me, but to me, these rides appear to be essentially the same ride, but in different parks, and a slight variance in theming? What am I missing? It looks like both are rides where you glide through, and shoot at targets as they pop up or appear. I keep hearing that TSM is the better of the two, but what would I be missing if we just went on Space Ranger Spin, besides the 3D effects?

They are almost identical rides. I think TSMM has a bit better things to shoot at and you can get more points on TSMM but I thought they were basically the same ride at different parks. And SRS doesn't have near the extreme wait times that TSMM has.

Space ranger spin you control where you spin and there are many targets to choose from in each area as you glide along in your vehicle. The more difficult the target the higher point value. In TSM it is basically like the video game with the same title. The ride however turns you without warning as you go from game to game where the challenges and characters are different at each one plus, theres the 3D effect and some other effects such as wind puffs,etc. So they are similar in theory but still worlds apart.

The big difference to me: Buzz is constantly moving and YOU have to control the spin/angle of the car. I am a lousy driver on Buzz, can't do the joystick and shoot at the same time for the life of me!

On TSM, the ride takes care of itself and all you have to do is shoot. You pull up to a game screen, the car stops, you have a set amount of time to score points, that game ends, and you are whisked off to the next game, lather rinse repeat. MUCH easier! I did TSM 3 times last trip and felt like I was finally getting halfway decent at it.

OMG What? They are TOTALLY different rides!!!! Space Ranger Spin is riding through a blacklight-filled, 2-D character space, shooting at aliens and Zurg with a gun.

Toy Story Mania is highly themed, fun even without playing the shooting game, but more fun when you do.

The only common denominator is that you are shooting at targets in both games. But Toy Story Mania is WAY better and WAY more fun.

Is it just me, but to me, these rides appear to be essentially the same ride, but in different parks, and a slight variance in theming? What am I missing? It looks like both are rides where you glide through, and shoot at targets as they pop up or appear. I keep hearing that TSM is the better of the two, but what would I be missing if we just went on Space Ranger Spin, besides the 3D effects?

Both have guns that you use to shoot things, but beyond that, they are not alike at all. We like TSM better, but no way would we skip either of them. We ride them both multiple times each trip.

For me, the biggest difference is that on TSMM I can see what I am hitting!
On Buzz, who can tell if that is your lred laser light or someone else's hitting that target? Plus, it is much easier to pull the string (on TSMM) than to squeeze the trigger on Buzz.

I also enjoy the midway aspect of it--I always loved the midway carnival games at the state fairs.

I always ride Buzz, often multiple times, but every morning of my WDW vacation (except EMH mornings at MK) you will find me at RD at DHS heading over for a few hours of TSMM.

I love both these rides, but one thing you would really miss if you skipped out on TSMM is the queue! It's so fun, you're literally like a tiny toy in Andy's room. And the interactive Mr. Potato head is great, especially if you've never seen it. For me, half the fun of TSMM is getting into Toy Story mode through the queue. Even if you use FP, you still get to see a bit of it. DH and I always do both rides multiple times.

Buzz is like the shooting gallery (is that still around?) shooting light beams at targets that may move if you can figure out which beam is yours.

TSM is like playing the latest 3D immersive video game.

Both still great.

totally different rides to me

I can never tell where my laser is pointing / shooting with all of the other red lights out there. I find Buzz to be frustrating.

LOVE LOVE LOVE TSM!!! I can see where I'm hitting the targets. It's so much fun to change scenes and things you're throwing/ shooting. Love it !!!

We ride Buzz maybe once a trip. TSM is a must do multiple times per day that we're at DHS. We typically do 10 day trips to WDW and will start the day 5 or 6 of those days at DHS so we can do TSM with little to no wait.

I agree that they are different. My first impression was...what gives, two of the same, but after you ride them both you realize it's way more then the 3D...it's the ability to move your cart, the trigger vs string, constant movement, plus i have depth perception issues so tsm is way easier for me.

My husband and I both liked Buzz better! Yes, the two rides are different, but we cannot understand why everyone goes so crazy over TSM.

Buzz is like the shooting gallery (is that still around?) shooting light beams at targets that may move if you can figure out which beam is yours.

TSM is like playing the latest 3D immersive video game.

Both still great.

This. I also like both, but to me they really are two completely different experiences.

Once Upon a Time said:
I love both these rides, but one thing you would really miss if you skipped out on TSMM is the queue! It's so fun, you're literally like a tiny toy in Andy's room. And the interactive Mr. Potato head is great, especially if you've never seen it. For me, half the fun of TSMM is getting into Toy Story mode through the queue. Even if you use FP, you still get to see a bit of it. DH and I always do both rides multiple times.

mr potatoe head is interactive? i guess if you call listening to a pre-recorded anamatronic it is. its nice and all but i wouldnt call it interactive.

As you have seen from a lot of the PPs, these rides have similarities, but are very different when you experience them. Look at it this way- the Finding Nemo, Little Mermaid and Haunted Mansion rides all involve riding in clamshell vehicles on a track in the dark through various scenes. Are they essentially the same rides? I would say no- the themes, the queues, the scenes, the experiences are all quite different. And I think you would be missing quite a bit if you only went on one of them.

mr potatoe head is interactive? i guess if you call listening to a pre-recorded anamatronic it is. its nice and all but i wouldnt call it interactive.

He's prerecorded?? I could have sworn that the last time we were there he was responding to the guests in the queue.

Lots more characters in TSM too! Buzz is more shooting and Zurg, TSM gives you almost all the characters in arcade style games. Love them both, but not the same at all. BTTR is a roller coaster. EE is a roller coaster. They are not the same.:goodvibes

For me, the biggest difference is that on TSMM I can see what I am hitting!
On Buzz, who can tell if that is your lred laser light or someone else's hitting that target? Plus, it is much easier to pull the string (on TSMM) than to squeeze the trigger on Buzz.

I can never tell where my laser is pointing / shooting with all of the other red lights out there. I find Buzz to be frustrating.

Totally agree. While I do still enjoy Buzz, I find it nearly impossible to aim as you can never tell which laser beam is there to guage where to move your laser gun. I do my best, but more enjoy spinning the car in circles to annoy my daughter. LOL

He's prerecorded?? I could have sworn that the last time we were there he was responding to the guests in the queue.

Yes prerecorded but I have read that a CM can pick whats playing to make it seem like its "live".

I have heard him talk directly to guests about the clothes and hats they have on. Some of his statements might be pre-recorded, but he most definitely is interactive. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter