Difference between - Dave Ramsey

chrismiss56

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS....
Hi

Is there any difference between Davey Ramsey's books Financial Peace and Total Money Makeover.

I have Financial Peace and will be reading it this week......do I need Total Money Makeover also? :confused3

Thanks!!

Have a Magical Disney Day!! ::MickeyMo
Linda

I have both right now LOL I am half way through "FP Revisted" then I'll read the other, so I can't say... BUT the more info the better in my eyes!!

I also have David Bach's Start late finish rich on Audio and listening to that in the car! So I am armed!! All from the library ! DH is listening too :)

I say go go go and read all you can!

I've read both and I'm my opinion they say similar things... meaning the concept is nothing new to DR books. However, I think the more you hear/read it the further it sinks in. :teacher:

Peacefulgirl, I read your previous thread about debt. I'm wondering if you are finding the information from the Ramsey book very practical? I'm thinking about getting it myself but before I do, I want to make sure that it's worth it. After reading your thread, I've decided to wipe out all of our debt (student loans, one credit card and a car payment). ;)

I just finished reading the Total Money Makeover and attending a FPU at our church in September. We have put off our Disney World Vacation in June of 2006 to 2007 to get out of debt. We will be able to have lots more fun going and being out of debt and to able to stay longer in Orlando.

momofthreekids said:
I just finished reading the Total Money Makeover and attending a FPU at our church in September. We have put off our Disney World Vacation in June of 2006 to 2007 to get out of debt. We will be able to have lots more fun going and being out of debt and to able to stay longer in Orlando.

You sound like us. We were going to go back to WDW in October 2005 but decided to hold off until October 2006 so we could get debt paid off. It was a hard decision at first but we have lowered our debt so much and it feels really GOOD!

Debbie

I'm so impressed that you guys are putting off vacations to Disney World to get out of debt. I was just looking at that yesterday - but we have so much invested in the two trips we're taking this year it would be nuts not to go. And we aren't going further in debt to go - we're paying cash - but cash that could take a fairly large "bite" out of our debt. However....I'm taking a good hard look at next year. I had considered going one last time before Sammi turns 3 so she would still be free....but I might just have to wait until 2007 and skip 2006 - Aaaackk!! I don't know if I can make it. Anyway - congratulations on tackling your debt and making the hard choices necessary to do so.

I hope I don't get flamed, but to WDWorBust. Don't feel bad about your trip at all. If you can afford it, and you are not burdened by your debt, then there's nothing wrong about going. I would like to get rid of my student loans, car payment and a credit card. I am working on a plan that will allow us to put money in our disney fund, money in our emergency savings and to pay off debt. I don't feel guilty about that. I had to make the hard choice to go back to work, but I really believe it's for the best for my family to be debt free (well, beside the mortgage).
I respect people no matter if they are debt free or not. It's only a problem if you are struggling to pay your bills. So if that's not you, then you go and enjoy your vacation! :flower:

I agree with Nik's Mom - don't feel bad about your trips! Go and have fun (have some fun for me too! :wave2: ).

We just decided 2005 would be the year we tackle our debt. We are doing fine financially and our debt never bothered us before but for some reason this year it is. We just feel compelled to get rid of it.

I'm stopping at my local library this afternoon because they have a copy of Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book. I figure instead of spending the $ to buy it I'll just borrow it! Hey, this not spending money thing is getting easier! ;)

Debbie

I agree about not feeling bad about going. We go to Knoebels and Wildwood every year as our needed vacations.

Our next trip to Disney isn't till 2008 and that's for a couple of reasons:

* I want it to be ONSITE and this will be a first for us; therefore, since I'm spending that kind of money for 2 weeks, I wanted my daughter to be at an age where hopefully she will remember it more.

* I'm starting my real estate courses next year so I want to have a good heads up on my new career path and hopefully money set aside for our trip to be paid in full. I was a SAHM and just took a job at the real estate office as a secretary. My money is set aside for my classes. Once I start as an agent, my money will seem like a bonus since we are use to living off of one income.

* Since I want to wait till 2008 for the above reasons, by this time, we should be debt free except for the mortgage. That would be a GREAT feeling going to Disney with everything paid for in advance and knowing that I have no other debt, thus allowing me to splurge without feeling any guilt knowing it could have went to pay a bill. Can you tell that I'm a worry-wart...?

Yup, we have our goal too. I want to get rid of that darn credit card, then we'll go to wdw again. Then I'll work on the car loan, then maybe wdw again.
Good luck to you all that are working on wiping out the debt. :flower:
etwinchester, you will love being on-site!

We too are going ahead with our WDW trip (15 days and counting!!! :p ). We also just started on TMM - however we decided that since this was our 20th anniversary trip that we would still go. We are taking about 2k with us for spending money - but I dont think we will spend anywhere near that much (DH wants make sure we have enough???)- I am going to put half of it in travellers checks so we wont be as tempted to spend it. Whatever we dont spend I will pay on our snowball - we should be done with baby step 1 by the time of our trip.

I dont feel bad at all - most people only celebrate one 20th wedding anniversary - notice I said "most"!! When we return we plan to hop back on the Dave Ramsey wagon and go full force!! :eek:

Nik's Mom said:
I'm wondering if you are finding the information from the Ramsey book very practical? I'm thinking about getting it myself but before I do, I want to make sure that it's worth it. After reading your thread, I've decided to wipe out all of our debt (student loans, one credit card and a car payment). ;)

I found his books at the library. Check there first before buying a copy. Then it is FREE!

DJ

Hi

Thanks for all the information.

I too wanted to get rid of the debt we have (car loan, mortgage and credit card :faint: ).

I have started reading Financial Peace and am excited about using some of his methods!!

We are leaving for Spain in about a week (visiting DD who is studying there for the summer) then a quick trip to WDW (spur of the moment - couldn't resist $93 airfare) BUT then we need to buckle down and get rid of this debt.

Keep the information coming.

Have a Magical Disney Day!!

westjones said:
I found his books at the library. Check there first before buying a copy. Then it is FREE!

DJ

Yep! I just borrowed his books at our local library today. I started reading Total Money Makeover as soon as I got home. We are already well into "Baby Step 2". Turns out we were already doing what he suggests. Wish we were to "Baby Step 7"!!!

Debbie

Nik's Mom said:
Peacefulgirl, I read your previous thread about debt. I'm wondering if you are finding the information from the Ramsey book very practical? I'm thinking about getting it myself but before I do, I want to make sure that it's worth it. After reading your thread, I've decided to wipe out all of our debt (student loans, one credit card and a car payment). ;)

YES YES and YES!!!! I also listen to him online everyday. He is hard core and his voice echo's in your head when you are handling your money! If you are serious about getting out of debt, he can get you there. I agree with his program. There are others out there that have a different way of dealing with debt, but I am in line with Dave's teachings. I got mone from the library for free... you can't go wrong for FREE!!! Go for it and tell me what you think. Personally for me, because he has been there done that, I trust him and know that I can learn from him.

Thanks to everyone who said not to feel bad about going :) We are so truly blessed to be able to. But I worked part-time for the trips, DH umpired little league, and yes - we can pay our bills and even pay extra....so we aren't being too irresponsible by going. It's those stinking AP's we got to take 2 trips - not 3 :rotfl: But when I think of how much money we're spending on vacation and how big of a dent that would make on debt it makes me want to reconsider. But we will go and we will have a GREAT time. And then tackle debt further when we return.

peacefulgirl said:
YES YES and YES!!!! I also listen to him online everyday. He is hard core and his voice echo's in your head when you are handling your money! If you are serious about getting out of debt, he can get you there. I agree with his program. There are others out there that have a different way of dealing with debt, but I am in line with Dave's teachings. I got mone from the library for free... you can't go wrong for FREE!!! Go for it and tell me what you think. Personally for me, because he has been there done that, I trust him and know that I can learn from him.

Peacefulgirl, I am with you on Dave. I love his no-nonsense approach, and yes, his voice echoes in my head too with every cash transaction I make. As you said, he has "done stupid with money" and dug himself out of a huge hole! He has a system for handling all aspects of your finances, and explains the methods for that system. I believe that having a game plan as far as what to do first with your personal finances (debt, mortgage, retirement, college, investing) helps a great deal.

I too borrowed his books from the library, then was able to purchase "The Total Money Makeover" from his website for $10 for the July 4 Freedom Sale! It was in the budget...

Glad to hear things are moving along for you too, Peacefulgirl! You sound positive and raring to go!! :sunny: :sunny:

Morning All

Just read DR's Financial Peace and have started reading Total Money Makeover. Have to say that I like TMM much better. Easy reading and HIGHLY motivating. :cool1:

TMM really makes me sit upon and pay attention to what we are doing with our money.

I have to ask has anyone taken the drastic measures he suggests - such as selling cars and homes? Don't know that I will go that far but like the rest of it.

What do you think?

Have a Magical Disney Day!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter