Difference between category 5 & 6?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by WeluvDisney2, Mar 16, 2006.

1. WeluvDisney2

WeluvDisney2 <font color=teal>Proud member of Klutzes Anonymous

What is the difference between category 5 and category 6? Is category 6 worth the extra money? Thanks! :sail:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DisCrazzy

DisCrazzy Mouseketeer

The only difference is the deck that you are on. Everyone has their own preference which deck they like. We personally don't care which deck we are on, as long as we are on a disney cruise. I would save the extra money and go with a cat 6.

Jennifer

4. repeatcruiser

repeatcruiser 3x - 1 more booked

One floor and about $150. That one floor could be big, because category 6 is on the 6th floor - directly above the kids clubs (could be noisy at some times), while category 5 is on the 7th floor, buffered by rooms above and below.

We have cruised in both category 4 and 5 - 5 is great (as was 4, but not worth the extra $ for us). I think the upgrade from category 6 to 5 is worth it, though.

5. TheWog

TheWog <font color=indigo>The Curse has been Reversed<br>

Deck level and cost, rooms are the same.

Cat. 5 costs more and is one deck higher on Deck 7.

I too would save the money.

6. AshAlytwins

AshAlytwins DIS Veteran

I was told the rooms in cat. 6 are 30 sg. ft. smaller than cat. 5....we had cat. 5 last year and went with cat. 6 this year to save $150, so we will see how different they are!!! We also carefully pick a good location for our cat.6!!!

7. ohioworkingmom

ohioworkingmom Mouseketeer

We had a cat 6 on our last cruise and had no noise concerns at all. We were in room 6044. If the only difference is price and the floor, stay with the 6 and save your money to use for other pleasures! :sunny:

8. alikat99

alikat99 <font color=red>NO! Don't make me go to Super WalM

My understanding is that cat 5 and cat 6 are exactly the same, except for the deck. However, I know that cat 4 is slightly larger than cat 5 & 6, to accomodate the murphy bed.

Also, deck 6 is directly above the kids clubs, but you don't necessarily have to worry about noise. It depends on where you are. We had 6090 once, and never heard anything from the clubs.

9. MommyMouse

MommyMouse <font color=deeppink>Compulsive vacation planner<b

We booked a Cat 6 last year, and again for this year :cool1: Not a problem at all with noise from the Kids Club below, or anywhere else for that matter :goodvibes IMHO...save your money :sunny:

10. disneycruise05

disneycruise05 DIS Veteran

I would recommend a cat. 6. Not only do you save $150, but the verandahs on deck 7 are about 6 inches shorter than those on deck 6.

11. tinkerbellmagic

tinkerbellmagic don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

In my case, the only difference between cat 5 and cat 6 was the fact that when I booked cat 5 for our first cruise, I was too much a newbie to know I could get the same exact type room and verandah for less money on a different deck. Haven't gone back to cat 5 since. IMO, deck 5 (cat 6) rocks!
    Tink

12. BrianD

BrianD DIS Veteran

Also, be aware that because most people share this same opinion and book cat 6, the price of cat 6 staterooms occassionaly push higher cat 5 on the same cruise. So, always check the cat 5 price too, as it could be actually cheaper than a cat 6.

We were in a cat 5 on our cruise and I don't mind paying the small extra amount of money to get me one deck higher (I like being up high), a hall with a few less staterooms, and one deck closer to the morning coffee!

13. TheWog

TheWog <font color=indigo>The Curse has been Reversed<br>

Hey neighbor. We were in 6088 and never had an issue once with noise either.

14. yogibigdog

yogibigdog DIS Veteran

First cruise we were in cat 6 we had a lot of noise in the hall. Loud people taking and yelling at all hours. Now it could have just been a few rude people who were on that cruise. Second cruise were on on deck 7 cat. 5. Much less foot traffic in the halls. We were same part of the ship as our first cruise just one deck up. Otherwise the staterooms are the same.

15. AshAlytwins

AshAlytwins DIS Veteran

Same thing here!!! :cool1:

16. MickeyD

MickeyD Mouseketeer

I have to agree with checking the prices. We originally booked a cat 6 for our May cruise, then I saw the cat 5 was $200 less. I jumped on that knowing the rooms are the same, but the cat 5's are sandwhiched between room decks.

Lisa

17. NotSoLittleMermaid

NotSoLittleMermaid DIS Veteran<br><br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com

We were in a Cat 5 the first year (in a handicapped room actually). The second year (2005) we went w/Cat 6 to save a little money. The room itself was fine, but it was directly over one of the lifeboats (as many Cat 6 rooms are) and the entire cruise we could hear the battery backup system of the lifeboat start up (with a "clunk"), run about 20 sec. then shut off. This happened about every 2.5 minutes day and night. There was nothing that could be done about it because it couldn't be disconnected. We were in room 6624 on the Magic.

For this year we booked Cat 5 just to be sure we wouldn't hear that noise again. I checked the boards when we returned and only found a couple of people who referenced a noise like that in Cat. 6. Maybe we were just unlucky, but it wasn't worth the $150-200 to risk it happening again.