Difference b/t mod & deluxe

GR8LSUFAN

Earning My Ears
What is the difference between these types of accomodations, besides the price. Does the deluxe offer more, if so what is the "more" that is offered?

Thx!

Each resort has its specific perks, but in general a Deluxe resort gets you interior hallways, rooms with balconies, better restaurants in the resort, and in general better location options, which lead to easier transportation. Like being on the Monorail loop, having boats to MK, or being within walking distance to Epcot and HS.

Then the next decision is which Deluxe resort, since their prices vary. Then there's whether to pay for a better view at the Deluxe resort. Oh, and finally there's Club level... Each step has its perks and is priced accordingly.

For us we enjoy getting a standard view room at one of the more economical Deluxe resorts, but your selections may vary. Enjoy!

In short....

Deluxes:

1. Rooms open out into interior hallways, as opposed to opening out directly to the outside. (To be fair, some rooms at AoA do as well)

2. Sit Down restaurants abound. Deluxes also usually have some form of quick service dining, but nothing like the food courts that you see at the moderates.

3. With the exception of AKL, deluxes have some form of alternate transportation other than buses to one or more of the theme parks (ferry, water taxi, monorail).

4. Complete room service.

Moderates:

1. Rooms open up right to the outside.

2. Expansive food courts with limited, if any, sit down table service restaurants.

3. Not as close in proximity to the main theme parks, so buses are usually the norm. Expect longer ommute times to the parks.

4. Pizza delivery to your room, but that's about it.

Also, every deluxe has access to a gym (sometimes share with adjacent walking distance sister property), but only one mod (csr) has a gym.

All deluxe resorts, whether they be DVC resorts or regular deluxe resorts, are directly connected to either one of the 4 parks or DTD. In this way, transportation to the parks or DTD is easier and faster at least with respect to that one park.

Of course if you are staying at AKL and want to get to MK, your transportation options are the same as if you were staying at CBR or POP.

In many of the deluxe resorts, the lobby areas are quite spectacular and they can be decorated very beautifully depending on the time of year.

In addition to everything else that has been posted, the deluxe rooms are larger with most of them having a daybed. The rooms at WL and AKL are slightly larger than the mods, with the other deluxes being considerably larger (with the Poly and CR being the largest). Also, the deluxe resorts (with the exception of WL and AKL) accommodate 5 + 1 under the age of 3 in a standard room.

DW and I have stayed at CSR, WL and BLT. Of the three, WL was our absolute favorite. As others have stated, the deluxe resorts have the interior hallways, “better” food options, and easier access to parks using Disney transportation. Outside of cost, the big factor for us was the Disney “WOW” factor at WL. Don’t get me wrong, all three resorts were great, but we really loved WL. CSR honestly just felt like another hotel. In all fairness, it’s a convention hotel and that may have had something to do with it. But, we loved the theme of the WL, the balconies and most of all, the boat to the MK.

IMO the biggest (and maybe most "significant") difference is the one that comes with all "real estate" questions: location, Location, LOCATION!

If you are relying on Disney transportation for your visit, there is little that beats the deluxes when it comes to transportation. As other posters have noted, most of them are close to a park or have multiple modes of transportation not just busses.

IMO they tend to be the more "magical" of the resorts because Disney tends to up the wow factor to help justify the higher costs of staying there. I think the customer service is a bit better as well.

I would look at the Accommodation Sections on Allears.net they have many photos and videos of the different resorts and fact sheet. Looking at the photos, the differences should be apparent.

One of the things that has been alluded to by previous posters, but not really expounded upon in great detail is that of resort theming. Goofy referred to it as the “Wow Factor” experienced at the WL. This is something that is very subjective and will vary from resort to resort and person to person. To me, this is the most critical factor in determining where I stay, even more so than price. In my opinion, no resort provides better theming or “wow factor” than does the WL. From the moment you pull up to the main entrance, to the time you walk through the front doors into the breath-taking lobby, you are constantly being “wowed”. The artwork, the native-American inspired chandeliers, the landscaping, the bubbling spring that turns into a rushing river and later a waterfall into the pool, the quiet walkways that truly make you feel like you are in the peace and quiet of the Northwest wilderness… Did I mention there’s a geyser in the back overlooking Bay Lake? All of the details found in every nook and cranny of the resort all culminate together to provide you with an experience unlike anything you’ve ever experienced at any other “hotel”. This isn’t your average Motel 6, but they will leave the light on for you.

Other folks feel the same way about the Poly, AKL, BW, YC/BC, etc. However, even some feel this way about All Star sports, if being surrounded by supersized sports equipment is your thing. Different strokes for different folks. Disney makes an effort to theme every single resort on property from the values to the deluxes. Some might register with you better than others. Generally speaking, I think it’s fair to say that the Deluxe resorts get a little more attention put into the theming than do the Values. For many people, they’re so consumed with the parks, they are simply using the resorts as a place to rest their heads at night. If this represents you, theming is not going to be as critical to this type of Disney traveler, and they’d probably rather save their money and put it towards the parks. For me, that’s not the case. From the moment I cross the threshold onto Disney property, I need to be transcended from reality. Once I enter the WL, it helps to ensure that I never return until it’s time to check out and venture back to MCO.

Most are very quick to discuss price, restaurants, transportation, accommodations, room size, etc. when discussing resort selection. While these are all important criteria, they rank second in my book to resort theming.

My big thing Is I hate exterior doors which is why I never stay mod. Too motel like for me. I like being interior. I love the locations of deluxe hotels, pools, ts, ambience, smells in the lobby.

pl4bby said:
I love the locations of deluxe hotels, pools, ts, ambience, smells in the lobby.

That's an excellent observation... Smells in the lobby! I would have to say that the Poly wins this category hands down. Someone should start a poll for "favorite lobby smell". Perhaps I'll take the lead on that!

Andrew015 said:
That's an excellent observation... Smells in the lobby! I would have to say that the Poly wins this category hands down. Someone should start a poll for "favorite lobby smell". Perhaps I'll take the lead on that!

Mine is BC love it

One of the things that has been alluded to by previous posters, but not really expounded upon in great detail is that of resort theming. Goofy referred to it as the “Wow Factor” experienced at the WL. This is something that is very subjective and will vary from resort to resort and person to person. To me, this is the most critical factor in determining where I stay, even more so than price. In my opinion, no resort provides better theming or “wow factor” than does the WL. From the moment you pull up to the main entrance, to the time you walk through the front doors into the breath-taking lobby, you are constantly being “wowed”. The artwork, the native-American inspired chandeliers, the landscaping, the bubbling spring that turns into a rushing river and later a waterfall into the pool, the quiet walkways that truly make you feel like you are in the peace and quiet of the Northwest wilderness… Did I mention there’s a geyser in the back overlooking Bay Lake? All of the details found in every nook and cranny of the resort all culminate together to provide you with an experience unlike anything you’ve ever experienced at any other “hotel”. This isn’t your average Motel 6, but they will leave the light on for you.

Other folks feel the same way about the Poly, AKL, BW, YC/BC, etc. However, even some feel this way about All Star sports, if being surrounded by supersized sports equipment is your thing. Different strokes for different folks. Disney makes an effort to theme every single resort on property from the values to the deluxes. Some might register with you better than others. Generally speaking, I think it’s fair to say that the Deluxe resorts get a little more attention put into the theming than do the Values. For many people, they’re so consumed with the parks, they are simply using the resorts as a place to rest their heads at night. If this represents you, theming is not going to be as critical to this type of Disney traveler, and they’d probably rather save their money and put it towards the parks. For me, that’s not the case. From the moment I cross the threshold onto Disney property, I need to be transcended from reality. Once I enter the WL, it helps to ensure that I never return until it’s time to check out and venture back to MCO.

Most are very quick to discuss price, restaurants, transportation, accommodations, room size, etc. when discussing resort selection. While these are all important criteria, they rank second in my book to resort theming.

Andrew - very well put and thank you for expanding upon my thought. As the OP mentioned, they wanted input based on factors other than price. Outside of price, like you said, I want a resort that will allow me to transcend me from reality. While my DW and loved CSR, it just didn't do it the same way WL did.

I have just stayed at Moderate resorts. Is there a big difference in the pools at the deluxe resorts compared to Moderates? I know BC has a really great pool that is almost like a water park, but what about the other deluxe resorts?

Andrew - very well put and thank you for expanding upon my thought. As the OP mentioned, they wanted input based on factors other than price. Outside of price, like you said, I want a resort that will allow me to transcend me from reality. While my DW and loved CSR, it just didn't do it the same way WL did.

I may be a little biased, but I don't believe any resort on property does a better job of transcending you from reality than WL. Most of it is due to the incredible theming. But I also think part of it is due to the isolated feel that you have there, despite only being a stone's throw away from the MK. The location is the perfect combination of feeling "off the beaten path", while only being a 5 minute boat ride from the magical gates of MK. How cool is that? I was participating in another Resorts thread discussing the Poly, which is my second favorite resort on property. A number of people were chiming in, claiming that they loved the resort, but disliked how busy the resort was with passers-by. I think this is true of all of the monorail resorts. At one time, I really wished they would have put WL on the monorail loop. However, as time has gone by, I'm very glad that they decided against it for this exact reason. It helps keep our beloved WL feeling "isolated" from the hustle and bustle.

I totally agree with you regarding CSR. I can't help but feel it's anything other than a convention resort, and I feel bad for not having my laptop handy for getting some work emails done. Anything that resembles "work / business / conferences" has no part of being involved in my WDW vacation. It's unfortunate that I feel this way, as CSR really is a nice resort. Regardless, I've planted my flag at 901 Timberline Drive.

This was a really good read, well written. While I don't really think the deluxe resorts offer enough to justify the cost, I can see why people, aside from the costs would prefer them, and why some people wouldn't, and that theming is so important regarless of "category".

My DW is a HUGE little mermaid fan, so we intend to have a stay in AoA LM rooms, even though its a "Value", at our next trip.

As for "Wow" factor, we were actually WOWed by CSR. We were staying in the Casitas, and after being dropped off outfront, checking in at the lobby and then walking out into the central out door area, looking out over the lakes, seeing the resort spread out around us .... WOW. It was like being transported to a Carribean/South American/Mexican Resort ... For us, coming from Canada, it was just perfect. I know some people have talked about how they try to pick resorts that offer something they don't have at home, and CSR did that for us. Our room was a corner King, looking out over one of the smaller lakes and white sand beaches/hammocks, ... the landscaping was amazing, tropical and beautiful. It really was everying we would pick for a "resort", it just happened to be at Disney, so we got the best of both worlds.

I can totally agree that theming is very important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter