Diff between Mod and Deluxe?

scrappychar

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of booking a trip, what is the difference between Moderate resorts and Deluxe?

We are travelling with my 7 year old son, who has asperger's/high functioning autism and are wonder what a "good" resort would be for him? It would be three of us, 2 adults one child.

Thanks!
Char

Aside from price?? :lmao:

One of the biggest difference is that the moderates all have outside hallways - you open your door to the outside. The deluxes all have inside hallways.

Two moderates - Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach - are very spread out, while Port Orleans is a more compact. You can pay for a "preferred room" at Caribbean Beach, which gets you closer to the dining areas and pool, but not at Coronado.

Another difference can be location. The Magic Kingdom resorts are all deluxe - three are on the monorail (and one - Contemporary - is walking distance to the MK) and one (Wilderness Lodge) has a boat to MK in addition to the buses. The Epcot resorts are also all deluxe, and are within walking distance to the International Gateway at Epcot and not too far from Hollywood Studios.

Good luck making your choice!

Two moderates - Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach - are very spread out, while Port Orleans is a more compact. You can pay for a "preferred room" at Caribbean Beach, which gets you closer to the dining areas and pool, but not at Coronado.
POFQ is compact. POR is just as large as CBR and CSR.

CSR is the only mod to offer Club Level, queen beds, a salon, spa and fitness center like a deluxe.

We also have a DD11 who is Asperger's/HFA. We have not stayed at a mod with her (have on our own, though). We have stayed at value and deluxe with her (AS Movies, Pop, AKL, and BC). If you can afford it, I'd pick BC! We recently got back from there and LOVED it! There are movies on the beach every night; a great pool area (Stormalong Bay, that has a great slide, a "whirlpool," a lazy river area, and beaches to play on); lots of kids activities, both inside and outside; Beaches and Cream (restaurant), as well as other restaurants; and best of all, a great location! We were just a few minutes walking distance from Epcot. You're also only a short walk to the Boardwalk area and about a 15-20 minute walk to DHS (or you can take a boat!). The fact that we could just walk to some of the places was a big plus, so we didn't have to wait in lines for buses or monorails to get everywhere (waiting in lines can really stress her out, as well as everyone else around her!). From Epcot, we were able to take the monorail to MK (see if you can ride in the front seat--no other people besides the pilot, you get a "pilot's license" and it's really cool!). The only time we HAD to take a bus was to get to AK, but it was a short bus ride. We did take the bus to MK once, too, and it, too, was a short ride. You will have to stop at a few other resorts on the way back, but they're all really close together. If you need to, you can get off the bus and walk the rest of the way back to BC, a nice relaxing way to finish off the evening, if DS isn't too tired.

I like the fact that at the deluxe resorts, your room opens to a hallway inside, rather than opening to outside, a big plus when you have a child who tends to wander or escape from the room. It just seems a little safer.

Important things you'll need for your son: earplugs (Disney can get loud and overwhelming--these make a big difference), a GAC (Guest Assistance Card...get it from Guest Services--it also makes a big difference...check the DISabilities board if you're not sure what this is...there's a sticky about it somewhere, I think), a stroller (Disney's a big place involving lots of walking. It is too much for my DD11, and my "typically functioning" DD7), flexibility, and a sense of humor. You may want to get him into either collecting autographs or pin trading, both of which can be great learning experiences for our kids.

Hope this helps! Sorry it's so long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter