• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dietary Restrictions

YensidRocks

Mouseketeer
Hey Guys,

Due to being diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, I had to restrict many food groups from my diet including dairy, legumes, nightshades, grains, etc. Is Disney going to be able to accommodate my needs due to these limitations. I'm also wondering if the Quick Service places are going to have any food choices for me that wont hurt me... lol. I just emailed guest relations, I'm hoping to hear back from them soon. In the meantime, I was hoping that you guys could help me out.

You're probably better off bringing as much of your own food as possible. If TS is able to accommodate a special dietary request it will take longer to order and prepare and it's even less likely at CS and again, will take longer. There will be times where you want to eat and will be worth the effort to bring your own safe snacks or a small cooler with safe meal. Then you can decide if you want to eat what you have or if it's worth the wait for what a Disney restaurant can provide at that time.

Go to the Special Dietary Needs page at WDW's website; that is a good starting place for you.

Remember that QS locations will have a binder so that you can see the ingredients in all of the food they serve.

At TS locations, let your server know about your special dietary needs; often a chef will come and speak with you directly. On ADRs be sure to select that you will have special dietary needs.

You'll have a much easier time at TS locations. My twins are extremely restricted with no grains, soy, egg, milk, peanuts and various fruits and veggies. There are only a few QS locations we've found enough for them to eat at, and it's usually a plain grilled chicken or bunless burger with a side of broccoli and possibly applesauce and/or grapes. TS restaurants have more available to work with and buffets have more options than others. But they should be able to provide you with plenty to eat. I can say that we do the best at Biergarten provided you enjoy meat.

I would also go ahead and contact Special Diets and submit their Dietary Request form. It's helpful with more restrictive diets.

Hi. I too have Hashimoto's but no dietary restrictions from it, but I do have Celiac. Disney is amazing (in comparison to anywhere else I have been in the world) at accommodating special dietary needs. TS restaurants are much better... largely because they have more items, and the chefs have more room for adaptation. However, the service I have gotten at QS places have been amazing as well. I find the service at QS courts in the resorts to be slightly better than in the parks, as they have more options, and generally a chef who oversees the entire food court, rather than just one option. I stayed at Pop a few times, and everytime they have gone and gotten the head chef for me, and he will make me almost anything on the menu I want, if he can tweak it. He will usually say the things that are no-goes from the start. It does take more time for my food to come than other people but hey, its always super fresh and delicious. If you have dietary restrictions honestly no where is better than Disney at making that work, in my opinion. Also if you are only restricted, and you aren't worried about cross contamination etc, make sure to tell them that. They are very careful when you have any issues to make sure that they cook and serve your food safely, and that can be a lot of extra work for them. If it is ok for your food to say touch a surface that has had something you cant eat on it, please let them know so they don't have to be extra careful. Good luck!

My daughter has several dietary restrictions and thankfully, the list is shrinking! When you let the chef at the table service restaurant know your restrictions you should also be prepared to tell them some meals you can have. It helps to give them ideas. Sometimes I feel like the chef's head is swimming when they receive a long list of foods someone can't have! Think of what you normally eat at home and let them know. My daughter generally eats grilled chicken or steak with olive oil, salt & pepper with a baked or sweet potato and roasted carrots at each of the table service restaurants in Disney.

As others mentioned, you may have difficulty with counter service, especially in the parks. They only have what is on the menu and they can't create anything 'new'. If the counter service is part of a food court (like at the value resorts) you will have many more options. We had a great experience with the chefs at All Star Movies. You can always ask to see the ingredient binders to find out if there are foods you can have.

If you can have roasted chicken there are several counter service locations throughout the parks that have it on the menu. If you can give examples of what you can eat I'd be happy to let you know if we've seen it anywhere @YensidRocks We obsess over the menus, always on the lookout for more foods my daughter can eat at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter