Diecast Monorail Toy

dtr_angel

Sorry I'm Late
My 2 year old LOVES the monorail. I'd love to get him the big monorail play set but he gets bored with toys so easily that I know he'd love it for 3 days and then be over it. I saw this on the Disney Store website

http://www.disneystore.com/monorail-die-cast-set/mp/1296652/1000268/

does anyone have one? is it good for a 3 year old to play with? Anyone seen them for sale in the parks anywhere?

We will be back in Disney in July for his 3rd birthday and I would love to get one to go with his presents. It looks like ordering online you don't get to pick the color and if I could I'd love to pick one of his favorite monorail colors (gold, then red, then peach lol. If you ask him his favorite color he will tell you "the gold monorail" :))

I have one of the monorail full sets (with the track). It was actually a present to me, not my 3 year old. =) If this is basically the same monorail as the one in the full set, I do not let my DD3 play with it, at least not without me around. I think the doors and parts in between the monorail cars could be easily broken. It seems like it is more of a display piece than a toy. (We use it as a "train" around our Christmas tree, if that gives you any idea of it)

We have two at home. They're all over the parks and resort gift shops. Although I don't remember seeing a gold one, but we were looking for red. One warning. The plastic parts between the sections of monorail are not very strong. The monorail all together is not very flexible in terms of turning, if you try to turn too much the plastic will break. When we got the first one my son was three he was very upset when the plastic broke. Now at age 6 we've taken all the plastic off the first one and he can link and unlink the die cast arts and drive it all over. The newer monorail was bought on the trip when he was 5 still has the plastic and he's much more careful about it.

Just think about how he would play with it and would he be upset if the plastic broke. What my son also loved at 3 (and still does now) are the Disney racers. Matchbox sized cars that are designed to look like disney characters and ride vehicles (including the monorail). We have about a dozen different ones. He loved looking in the giftshops to see which ones they had and took several days to decide which ones he wanted. Plus they fit on his Hot Wheels race track at home. Just another suggestion.

My boys loved the disney busses and semi trucks that are available for purchase at that age. Years later, they have held up well to all the abuse that 2 boys can give out. Just a thought if you are not 100% tied to getting the monorail pieces.

We have two of them. Lime Green and Orange. My DS opted to keep them mounted in the box/scenery and put on a shelf. They are die cast and a good play size. I would absolutely buy for a three year old. We have every bus, truck, ride car and monorail they make in diecast. :goodvibes I wish they would make more. We got them at Disney World, they are easy to find.

These are NOT the same as the ones on the tracks that you can set up with the Contemporary resort. Those are plastic. http://www.disneystore.com/walt-disney-world-resort-monorail-play-set/mp/1254559/1000265/

One warning. The plastic parts between the sections of monorail are not very strong. The monorail all together is not very flexible in terms of turning, if you try to turn too much the plastic will break.

We had a similar experience. The middle flexible joint became detached from the monorail car shortly after purchase. It probably could be super-glued (haven't done that yet, though).

I bought one of these exact monorails for my daughter when she was younger and she ended up pulling each section apart when playing with it. It would be cute for a display piece but as an actual toy, it didn't hold up very well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter