Didn't get passports for our children - should I start the process now or an I worrying too much?

HCP55

Earning My Ears
Sooooo - We've had our Caribbean cruise on the Wonder booked for a long time, and since booking, I've felt completely comfortably with our children traveling with only birth certificates, but in doing additional research and realizing that in the case of an emergency, they couldn't fly out of Mexico without one, I am regretting that decision. My husband thinks I am over thinking this and worrying way too much (which is a specialty of mine). We are four weeks out - should I start the process now? Even if the passports don't arrive by the time we leave for our trip, perhaps it would be wise to have the application submitted. UGH - I'm losing sleep over this :( If nothing else, I hope to hear from those who traveled with only birth certificates for the kiddos and didn't have a problem :)

While I always recommend traveling with a passport even though it is not strictly required, at 4 weeks out, I wouldn't stress over it. The chances of something happening are low, and if something did happen, you can get an expedited passport working through the embassy/consulate. I'd just recommend you get them for your kids in advance of another cruise.

At this point, the cost to apply for expedited passports for a minor would be $74.85 per child:
$80 application fee
$25 execution fee
$60 expedited service
$14.85 overnight delivery
The current turnaround time for expedited service is about 3 weeks, so you could have them in hand if you act fast.

You will find lots of discussions on here about whether you should or should not bother to get passports for kids, but in your case I think the issue comes down to this:

Will spending that money allow you to relax and enjoy your vacation more? If so, then do it. Your kids need happy, relaxed Mom (not upset, anxious Mom) to help make this a great vacation.

As PP stated if it will relax you more to have them and the money is not a big deal, I would do it. I love that my kids have passports, makes airports easier and overall travel a lot easier. You are a month out and the process would still be easy not crazy, just some extra money.

We have cruised DCL both with and without passports and there is no difference. We have had no problems using State Issued Birth Certificates. Also, the concept that you "CANNOT FLY WITHOUT A PASSPORT" is not quite accurate. In the event of an emergency there are procedures in all countries to which DCL travels that would allow you to be processed to allow travel back to the US. It will take time and effort but it is not impossible.

People have this impression of sitting in a foreign country for days, weeks in legal limbo when actuality it will take less than a day. Not as easy as a passport but doable. I am retired military. There were instances when sailors without passports needed to return to the US for emergencies. Just a military ID is no longer acceptable as in the past. Those persons had to be processed through the American Consulate or the local embassy but they would be cleared to fly in short order.

Additionally, I now fly to Guam through Japan routinely and there is hardly a trip that someone on the flight has lost/forgotten/brought spouse's passport etc. Even these challenges are overcome pretty quickly.

Keep in mind that if you decide to apply for passports now, and do NOT get them in time -- you likely will need a back-up copy of their birth certificates on hand to cruise with. You must send the birth certificate in along with the passport application, and we always get that back maybe 1-4 days after the passport arrives. So get an extra copy of the BC if you apply for a passport now.

Enjoy your cruise!

Keep in mind that if you decide to apply for passports now, and do NOT get them in time -- you likely will need a back-up copy of their birth certificates on hand to cruise with. You must send the birth certificate in along with the passport application, and we always get that back maybe 1-4 days after the passport arrives. So get an extra copy of the BC if you apply for a passport now.

Enjoy your cruise!

Dishing out the real wisdom there! I didn't even think of that.

This is a widely debated topic here. For a closed loop US-based cruise, you are NOT required to have a passport. A State-issued Birth Certificate and photo ID (for adults) will do. As stated above, it is not impossible to catch a flight home from a foreign country without a passport. It will take some time to work everything out and get the proper paperwork in order, but again, it is doable. In the event of an emergency, a few extra hassles and/or hours of stress could make it feel as though the world is crashing down around you. For peace of mind, my family and I always cruise with our passports. My kids have had passports since they were 3 (they are now 10 & 14) They may never leave the safe in our stateroom, but in the event of an emergency, I'd rather have one less thing on my mind.

We just got a passport for our DD before our last cruise. Didnt want to take the chance of needing to get home for whatever reason and being "trapped"

People have this impression of sitting in a foreign country for days, weeks in legal limbo when actuality it will take less than a day.

I've never read a single person who seemed to think it would be that long. Only from others who have that viewpoint of those of us who talk about the delay.

If I have an emergency requiring a flight home, 5 minutes I wait for a passport is 5 minutes too long. I want that passport in my hand as I head to the airport. I have no interest in ANY time at a bureaucrat's office.

We have cruised DCL both with and without passports and there is no difference. We have had no problems using State Issued Birth Certificates. Also, the concept that you "CANNOT FLY WITHOUT A PASSPORT" is not quite accurate. In the event of an emergency there are procedures in all countries to which DCL travels that would allow you to be processed to allow travel back to the US. It will take time and effort but it is not impossible.

People have this impression of sitting in a foreign country for days, weeks in legal limbo when actuality it will take less than a day. Not as easy as a passport but doable. I am retired military. There were instances when sailors without passports needed to return to the US for emergencies. Just a military ID is no longer acceptable as in the past. Those persons had to be processed through the American Consulate or the local embassy but they would be cleared to fly in short order.

I had a client stuck in San Jose, Costa Rica for six days waiting for authorization to return to the US and she had a US Passport, it was just expired. So the whole "it takes less than a day" thing is not entirely true. Perhaps in a medical evacuation, but if you simply miss the ship and have to fly home...it could take some time...and its at your expense.

I always think this is a tough call for families who don't travel internationally often, or who want it just for one cruise. For a family of four, it adds a cost for something that might not ever be used again. And, that's money that could be spent on an excursion or in port.

We do a lot of travel, so we always travel with passports. I think in this case, as in many other closed loop cruises, it's a gamble. The chances of something happening are low. Probably you and your family will be fine and have a great time, like thousands of others before you. But, there's always that inkling of "you never know." I think it comes down to: can you live with that small risk? Lots of people can. Others can't. You just have to figure out where you fall on that spectrum.

We just went to our local passport office. They said expedited gets their passports in 7 business days most of the time. And unexpedited normally takes 3 to 4 weeks

In some cities u can get a passport on the same day...the gov website has the list of those cities.

I had a client stuck in San Jose, Costa Rica for six days waiting for authorization to return to the US and she had a US Passport, it was just expired. So the whole "it takes less than a day" thing is not entirely true. Perhaps in a medical evacuation, but if you simply miss the ship and have to fly home...it could take some time...and its at your expense.

Very true. My mother had to fly to Poland with an expired passport when my grandfather passed away 16 years ago. She was stuck there for almost a month at the embassy daily (complicated by the fact the passport was in her maiden name). Because of this we obtained a passport for DD when she was a couple months old and I know exactly when our passports expire and 6 months before will get them renewed.

Enjoy your cruise!
We presented our daughter at the local post office and showed our id's, her birth certificate and her original passport. They did not keep the birth certificate. They took her old passport and returned that later by regular mail. But that may be the process if your child has previously held a passport...:p

I highly recommend having passports to avoid the potential for being held up at the American Embassy/Consulate. An emergency usually calls for speed rather than waiting. ;)

Sooooo - We've had our Caribbean cruise on the Wonder booked for a long time, and since booking, I've felt completely comfortably with our children traveling with only birth certificates, but in doing additional research and realizing that in the case of an emergency, they couldn't fly out of Mexico without one, I am regretting that decision. My husband thinks I am over thinking this and worrying way too much (which is a specialty of mine). We are four weeks out - should I start the process now? Even if the passports don't arrive by the time we leave for our trip, perhaps it would be wise to have the application submitted. UGH - I'm losing sleep over this :( If nothing else, I hope to hear from those who traveled with only birth certificates for the kiddos and didn't have a problem :)

Since you are 4 weeks out I wouldn't worry about it this time around. But for next time, I would have it with you just in case. It will make things so much easier if in the event there is an emergency.

Are you going on the Wonder on April 26th? We will be there too. :)

You should be fine. With just 4 weeks to go, I wouldn't get them for this cruise.

MUN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter