Did your Disney assigned roommates work out?

chefmb

DIS Veteran
Hi. My DS checks in for the DCP on August 4. He has not done much looking into choosing roommates ahead of time. His DGF checked in last month and had all of her roommates arranged ahead of time and it seems to be working out great. I'm looking for some reassurance that roommates work out fine if the participants just let Disney pick for them. I know if he's not worried about it, I shouldn't be! I'd just feel a little better hearing about good experiences:) DS and his DGF are actually hoping to get hired by Disney (he just graduated) once they've done the program. They want to move to Florida and work at Disney.

Hi. My DS checks in for the DCP on August 4. He has not done much looking into choosing roommates ahead of time. His DGF checked in last month and had all of her roommates arranged ahead of time and it seems to be working out great. I'm looking for some reassurance that roommates work out fine if the participants just let Disney pick for them. I know if he's not worried about it, I shouldn't be! I'd just feel a little better hearing about good experiences:) DS and his DGF are actually hoping to get hired by Disney (he just graduated) once they've done the program. They want to move to Florida and work at Disney.

All 3 of my DD's original roommates have left the program (1 was termed in March and the other 2 self-termed at the end of May)-they all got along great for the most part, but girls will be girls and had some issues. In the beginning they hung out together, took lots of pictures, etc.. Then the "honeymoon" wore off and started to have issues/disagreements, etc. They chose each other via the facebook groups.

My DD now has 4 new roommates (assigned byDisney) and her and 2 of the 4 hang out and hit the parks/shop/whatever together. The other 2 just moved in last week. These girls will only be together until first week of August. My DD will be extending, so will get new roommates again.

:confused3

My son checked in last year on August 12, and did random, Disney Assigned roomies. He did get the complex he wanted. There were 6 of them in the apartment. They, "Got Along," but none really became friends from what I can tell...they just lived together. His girlfriend's group was about half chosen in advance, and half Disney assigned, and they ended up great friends. So I don't know if it's the difference between male vs female, or just the randomness of it all.

I choose my roommate from a FB group at first. We got the room we wanted a one bedroom at Chatham. She was okay but never hung out etc and she often used my stuff with out asking.

She ended up being sent home over a suicide threat. This was about a month into the program if that. I still talk to this room mate.

I was allowed to have my whole apartment to myself until 3 weeks before check out. They moved another girl in and we didn't really get to know each other. We simply coexsisted. I don't even remember the girls name.

Most of my friends had okay experiences with their random assignments but none became super close friends. We all became closer friends with people we worked with or ended up hanging with due to classes or seminars we took together or by simply going to the parks together. I did have a few friends who ask to transfer into each others apartments after beds became available.

I picked 3 of my roommates and ended up with two random Australian girls in a 3 bedroom in Patterson. We all got along well, I ended up really loving my random roommates because they were so different from me but that's part of the experience I think. To be honest I was so busy that I really only hung out with my suitemate because we were the only two with normal similar schedules. Even if he doesn't like them, it's unlikely he'll have to see them all the time.

Some of my friends had worse problems with the roommates they picked then the random ones. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If worse comes to worse you can approach housing and request to be transferred if you have good reasons.

Everyone I was roomed with on my two programs worked out really well and we all got along. My sister, however, is on the program now and just had an incident with one of her roommates using some of her personal items without asking, threatening other roommates and trashing the apartment when housing decided to move the roommate. It's honestly luck of the draw.

It worked out for me. Two were from Cincinnati and the other was from Brooklyn. We did have some minor issues about eating others food, because some items were for everyone and others were personal food items. We had a house meeting about it and everyone was cool about it and on the same page. We never had any major issues though.

Although one did smoke weed (the one from Brooklyn, who shared a room with me), but he stayed away from the apartment when doing that. Of course he got terminated for hanging with some other interns that did the same thing.

Like I said though I got lucky and liked my roommates LOL.

aamuboi10 said:
It worked out for me. Two were from Cincinnati and the other was from Brooklyn. We did have some minor issues about eating others food, because some items were for everyone and others were personal food items. We had a house meeting about it and everyone was cool about it and on the same page. We never had any major issues though.

Although one did smoke weed (the one from Brooklyn, who shared a room with me), but he stayed away from the apartment when doing that. Of course he got terminated for hanging with some other interns that did the same thing.

Like I said though I got lucky and liked my roommates LOL.

You got really lucky your room mate want caught with the weed in your room. I know if they find something in a common area and no one claims it they fire the whole apartment and if it is in a bedroom and no one says it is theirs both roommates get termed. I know a few people who got the short end of the contraband stick.

I did the CP in the Medieval Days before Facebook when almost everyone was randomly assigned. I did have a friend who was supposed to be going at the same time and we were going to try to room together but she ended up not doing the CP at the last minute. So I ended up with 5 total strangers and it was fine. We had normal roommate issues (cleaning, taking up too much fridge space, temperature) but we all got along the bulk of the time and we all made it to the end of our program.

I did my CP Spring of 2013 and I had 5 other roommates. My actual roommate and I did not get along at all. She is incredibly religious and liked to shove it down my throat. It was also her first time being away from home at all and literally did not know how to do anything from the dishes to laundry to cleaning to ordering food! So it became more of a hassle for me because I had to teach her how to do everything. My other 4 roommates and I got together really well! 2 of them worked complete opposite schedules from me but the rest of us hung out and went to the parks together all the time! My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure that they sit down and talk the first night and know what everyone expects of eachother!

Just want to thank everyone for the responses. I think he'll be fine. He is there to get a foot in the door and find out more about opportunities with Disney. As long as he doesn't get in a situation where a roommate is doing something that could get everyone termed, I think it will be just fine:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter