Did your 5 and 7-year-olds need a stroller?

We are taking our twin 5 yr old boys soon and I researched what the best stroller option was. I looked into renting a double from an outside company--around $70. I looked into renting at the parks, but not cheap and didn't want to waste time. then I found out our Toys R us is closing. Got a cheap $60 double umbrella stroller that has side bags and a cup holder. I will sell it at a resale shop when I'm done.

If your kids are good hikers and walkers, i dont think id get any new ones,,,been to disney lots of times with various kids, and only 1 kiddo who was 5 yo needed something (she's not a very active child)...otherwise you have to lug it around,,,if you get desparate, rent one there.

The last trip we made we rented a double stroller for DS7, DS3 and DD2. They would rotate on who would walk and who would ride. On occassion they would all get in. I loved it because we didn't have to fight to get a stroller on the bus with 20 people behind us waiting on us.

My oldest was 4 on our last trip, 3 (a month away from being 4) on the one before that, and he hasn't used a stroller either time. He didn't even ask, but we did tell him a few times each day that we'd rent one for him if he needed it. He never complained of being tired, didn't lag behind or want to sit down or anything, just went along. I'd say it just depends on the child.

I would definitely not buy a new stroller just for a trip. If you feel it necessary then I would rent one.

We never rented one for our older kids (11, 8 & 5) when we went this summer. They managed just fine. We never did the parks from opening to close though anyway and always had table service dinners, etc...

I don't think I could have physically pushed them plus the 1 year old in his stroller too. :rotfl2: Yes, DH was there but not always.

You know your own kids better than anybody.
My dd7 NEEDED the stroller. We considered rental, then realized for $40 we could buy one at the park. It was very sturdy, good wheels and high enough handles that adults don't have to bend to push it. small sack on the back and a cup holder. a little heavier than your average umbrella stroller, easy to fold up. we were there for 7 days. when we wanted to go into places that won't allow the stroller, we used it as an opportunity to drop the knapsack into the stroller (all valuables were on our persons) and take a load off. it was absolutely wonderful to have that stroller. ds12, hubby and I like to walk quickly, there is no way dd7 could have kept up. we truly believe that the stroller is the reason we were able to "do" disney as thorougly as we did. My daughter is slight for her age and isn't a big eater, she wears out quickly and I know that, not once, did she say i don't want to ride! We even figured out how to clip the pack onto the back without having it interfere with movement. we were stroller experts by the time we left disney. we were going to hand off the stroller to someone by the end of the trip so they could enjoy it, but at the last minute, decided to bring it home to give to my neice for her dd2. I don't believe we would have had nearly as enjoyable a trip had we not had the stroller, but as i said at the beginning - YOU know your kids. here's some pixie dust for your trip! :wizard: :wizard:

We went when my son was 4 1/2 and did not take a stroller he did fine my goodness kids have more energy than I do I mean in the summer they run from morning to night. We went at Easter and spent all day in the parks many nights to 12 in MK. If I tried to push him all day I would be exhausted! I think I missed it the most - nowhere to put the junk. The only time we used one was after Fantasmic the late show we were leaving and someone had abandoned one and he hoped in to the gate. The amount of straight fast walking is not that often it usually is broken up by waiting in line riding etc. At school they have a walking program where they walk for either 15 min or 30 min at least once a week.
It was also very nice not to have to push and manuver(sp?) something all day in the crowds.

Great thread!!!! I'm battling this ? too! my dd will be 3 1/2 and my ds will turn 7 while were at WDW. Ist trip for us and I'm thinking the kiddos will be really tired from walking. Trying to decide whether I should get a new stroller or 2 for them or lug along heavy sit-n-stand one. We're flying in and staying off site so we'll probably stay at the park almost all day. Combined my kiddos weigh 77lbs. so I'm thinking 2 strollers vs.1. If I rent one for ds then dd will have a fit that they're not the same....very competitive in my family the kids are-hhmmmm. I know i'll need 1 to get back and forth to our rental car so renting for both of them doesn't really work...any tips??

loveysbydesign said:
Great thread!!!! I'm battling this ? too! my dd will be 3 1/2 and my ds will turn 7 while were at WDW. Ist trip for us and I'm thinking the kiddos will be really tired from walking. Trying to decide whether I should get a new stroller or 2 for them or lug along heavy sit-n-stand one. We're flying in and staying off site so we'll probably stay at the park almost all day. Combined my kiddos weigh 77lbs. so I'm thinking 2 strollers vs.1. If I rent one for ds then dd will have a fit that they're not the same....very competitive in my family the kids are-hhmmmm. I know i'll need 1 to get back and forth to our rental car so renting for both of them doesn't really work...any tips??

When my kids where 21 months, 3 3/4, 5 1/2 I brought a single stroller from home and rented doubles in the parks. I always let my youngest choose her seat first (maybe not the best idea) and the others would be pretty good about that. She would ride in our stroller only if she was real tired. Could you let your DD ride in the rental at the parks? The rental strollers are really easy to push. On my most recent trip we rented a double only at AK and my 2 oldest who where nearly 4 and 6 1/2 were nearly 80 pounds and it was still very easy to push in the rental.

I really liked the convenience of park rentals. It isn't the cheapest option but I did like not struggling with more than 1 stroller on the busses.

Our 5 year old would sit in the stroller when the 2 year old didn't want to (which was a lot - she wanted to be held or walk like everyone else!). The few breaks she got in the stroller seemed to be fine for her. She would have ridden all day if we had let her but she knew that the 2 yo needed it. You'll be fine with one.

I rented a double stroller for my dd7 and ds5 on our trip last month. It was used at Epcot and MGM and for MVMCP, but not really for our day at MK. I didn't even get one for our 1/2 day at AK. Dh didn't come with on this trip, so it was just me and the kids. It was easy to store all of the jackets, drinks, and bags in the stroller.

I would say maybe don't get one, and then if the kids start getting really tired, you can rent one later in the day.

Mary

I have the same age children as you. We just got back from our first trip. I had also wondered about this before I went. I decided to just take a stroller for the 2 year old and If the other two complained about walking to much I would rent another stroller. We were in the parks for 6 days straight. They never complained once. They walked the whole time and did great. I got tired before any of them did :)

We went a few years ago with 5 kids, ages 2-7.We rented a DOUBLE stroller as soon as we walked in the park.At times, when the kids got REALLY tired, we could fit 4 kids in it!We took turns rotating the kids in and out.I think it make things go a lot smoother.You didn't have to deal with strollers on the busses either.If you go to 2 different parks,keep your receipt, and you do not have to pay again.I have forgotten the rental rate.

We went to Disney last year and took a stroller for DD who had just turned 3. It was a sit-and-stand (which I loved!) and DS who was 4 1/2 at the time spent very little time on his seat. DD also spent quite a bit of the time walking too. DD has very low muscle tone and very little stamina, but did much better than we ever expected. We took it slow, let them set the pace and had a good time.

If your kids can do other theme parks, I would not bring/buy a stroller for them. My experience is that unless your children are extremely small, at thier ages they wont be comfortable in an umbrella stroller or any regular stroller you buy (plus, weight limits are an issue too). The strollers in the park are much larger and fit older children better. For the small amount of time that they would probably use them, its not worth the time and hassle of bringing the strollers from home and definately is worth the convenience of the rental.

DD and DS are now 4 and 5 1/2. We are brining the Sit N Stand but expect that DS will not use it at all. DS is a small child (less than 40lbs at almost 6 yrs old) and we asked if he'd like us to bring him an umbrella stroller and were told that they are not comfy and he'd rather walk. So we'll see what happens, if he needs to ride he can go on the back of the Sit N Stand or we'll rent him a Disney one.

HTH
Bri

we had an eight year old...that wanted to ride at MGM, so we rented a double for the three year old and the eight year old.

We always rent strollers at WDW because we do not like to haul a stroller around with us. We have enough things to lug around (backpacks & camera bag) without the added weight of a umbrella stroller.....this year DD is turning 7 and we still will rent a (double) stroller at WDW. They are big, roomy and sturdy! They have a nice canopy for shade (to which we attach our little "clippy" fan , so she stays cool) And it is sooooooo much faster to tour the world when she rides verses walks. DH and I have long legs and tend to walk fast. And they are big enough (especially the doubles) for her to nap in when she finally "poops" out.
**I will say that the strollers do differ in style from say the ones at MK to the ones at MGM, or least they did when we were there last**

May, 1998-*Honeymoon*-Off site :bride:
Septmeber 2003-*DD first trip age 3--ALL STAR MOVIES* princess:
November 2004-*WL* :wave2:
Septemeber 2006-*WL*------ :cheer2:

Everyone told us to definately plan to rent a double stroller for our 2 boys (4 & 7) who never use a stroller anymore at home, but it would make it easier at Disney - 2 questions tho - do they have a place on the bottom for storage of the backpacks etc? And can you only rent them in the front of the park when you come in, or can you rent them elsewhere if you decide later and don't want to go back to the entrance? (I'm excited to hear that they have a canopy & drink holders tho!)

Thank you!
Nicole princess:

I am battling the same question. On our last WDW trip, DD 5 used a stroller and she did not complain once. At age 6 we visited Hershey Park (a very hilly park), we did not bring a stroller and she was complaining the entire time until she climbed in the stroller with DD 3 (at the time). This year, she is 8 years old and I am seriously considering getting a stroller for her. I posted a question on the Dis and they all recommended renting a stroller if needed. I am not sure if she can handle all the walking in the hot sun. Is 8 too old for a stroller? I really don't know.

We were in WDW in August. DGD was 4 1/2. Never even thought about bringing a stroller because she never uses one at home, plus we were flying. Hot and humid in parks and she got cranky. Rented the stroller and it was a life saver. I rented for the whole time we were there. It saved some $$ and we didn't have to stand in line everyday.

She didn't use it everyday, mainly at Epcot and Animal kingdom. When we left, I just gave the extra days rental to a family that I met on the monorail. If it makes the trip nicer I say go for it.

Have a nice trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter