• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did you use an IPOD instead of a DJ/Band? How was it and would you recommend it?

Pongos.spots

Earning My Ears
We are looking to use the IPOD hook up to save money and put it towards other wedding things. Our ceremony is at 10 and reception 12-4. So I think we may be able to get away with it. But I would love to know how it worked out for you?:dance3:
Thanks

We're going to use an Ipod. We're not dancing people. We plan on doing our first dance, family dance, and a last dance. We plan on setting up playlists for cake cutting, brunch, and other that we think of.

We're going to have a friend or sibling be in charge of the ipod and making sure it starts when need be.

We used an iPod for our brunch reception and it worked really well - however, I spent a loooong time creating playlists for it so that the music would flow right with the various activities.

I would say that if you want to have more dancing than just a first dance and parents' dances, you should use a DJ because s/he can gauge the audience and select the right mix of music to keep everyone on the dance floor.

But if you just want background music, an iPod is the way to go!

we used an ipod setup and are so glad we did. We originally booked a DJ, but the price was SO high due to our wedding being during 'holiday' season. So, like previously mentioned, I too spent hours searching for and creating the perfect playlist for our 'mood'. It worked out great and everyone was dancing even without a DJ!! Some songs (electric slide, cupid shuffle, etc) get everyone on the dance floor, DJ or not!

Okay so for your playlists........how long should I make this thing... enough for the entire reception....Wow, I feel like this will be something I am going to stress out about...lol :rockband: We are not big dancers, but then I worry about keeping the guests occupied, which is really just my OCD talking...:rolleyes1

So did you ladies just hit play and leave it alone or did someone have that as a role?:tigger:

We had a relative run the iPod, but all he had to do was cue up each of the five playlists I made:

1)Pre-reception
2)First Dance
3)Brunch
4)Father-Daughter Dance
5)Mother-Son Dance
6)Rest o' the Reception

Oh yeah, and as for timing, I used the times in my BEO from Disney to know how long each thing would run (pre-reception, brunch, reception, etc.) and then padded each time by about 15 minutes and selected enough music for each section.

The thing to remember is that your reception will have a few different "moods," like slower/softer tunes for eating (so people can have conversations) and up-tempo stuff for the cocktail hour and for parts when people will be dancing. If you just put your personal music collection on shuffle, you're gonna end up with a lot of mood-killing "trainwrecks" (as we college radio DJs learned...).

We also used the ipod instead of a DJ and we did loads of dancing, the ipod was loud enough and I enjoyed having some control over the music that was played. Like the other's I spent hours creating playlist's but I found it fun to do and they worked out really well.

The playlist's were:
Pre-Reception - we just had Disney songs for this.
Dinner Music - we had instrumental songs from films, this went down really well.
Reception (before dessert party) - this was songs you could dance along to.
Reception (after dessert party) - this was our fave tunes to end the night with.

I made each of my playlists at least 1 hr long just in case, and my 'dancing' list 2 hours long. (we obviously didn't use all the music, I just wanted it to be REALLY padded)

My playlists were:
Guest Seating (Disney love songs from 'On The Record'
Entrance (a handful of songs picked by DH for our entrance & wedding party entrance)
First Dances (DH & mine, parents)
Eating/Dining (a slow mix of oldies, like Sinatra, and current crooners, think: Buble, Jason Mraz, etc, for a soft conversation-ish mood)
Dancing (upbeat and fun, kicked off with good disco and a few dance faves, we reverted back to this playlist inbetween 'events')
Mickey & Minnie (Fun Disney songs, started with our Mickey/Minnie dance song: Some Day My Prince Will Come, and followed by 'Minnie's Yoo-hoo' & such for taking pics with Mickey/Minnie)
Cake Cutting ('Ain't That a Kick in the Head', 'Sugar Sugar')
Anniversary Dance (2 songs)
Final Dance (a trio of songs played in order: 'Hey Jude', 'Sgt Peppers', and 'All you need is love')

We had DH's uncle work it. We also used our BEO for approx times/order of events. We typed up a list of instructions and he did awesome!

I have to say my favorite thing was being able to put some of my fave songs on there, and taking requests from friends/family for favorite dance songs! :)

Okay, so I am a bit biased.... :)

I can tell you that an iPod would be perfectly fine if all you are simply having a lunch or short dinner. Any longer is taking a chance... it could work out fine, or not.

Brides are spending a LOT of money already. A four hour reception (or more) is expensive. If people leave the reception early because there is no professional entertainment, it defeats the purpose of saving the money that would have been spent on a DJ/Band.

Go to YouTube and search for: MLBWFlmuo-Y (that is the video ID)
It's a seven minute video showing an actual iPod wedding.

In the end, it's a personal choice, and only you know the priorities for your Day. You can have much success either route you choose... just make sure it is the right situation for you!

we used an ipod and bought sepakers from home and saved us loads of money, it was laod enough for us and we had one of the best men control it

Well, I'm a little biased too, as I'm in the Entertainment Industry.
A DJ or band just seems to fit better with a Disney Wedding. With a D.J., you're not only getting the music with pro gear and speakers, but you are also getting a professional MC. If you're spending the money to do a Disney Wedding, you might as well do it up right!:cool1:

we used an IPOD at our wedding because we didn't plan on any dancing - with my husband being a wheelchair user he didn't feel comfortable with the idea of a party. Our full meal at the california grill took about two hours and then the cake cutting, flower toss also took up some of our time, we also had speeches adding about another 15 min and instead of having our first dance I sang to my husband. we then waited for about 20 min for wishes. which just gave us enough time to chat with guests, let them take pics. etc.
I would only recomend having a DJ etc if you are planning on having a reception that lasts over 4 hours.

Our reception lasted 8 hours, from 4pm until midnight, and we had absolutely loads of dancing and the ipod was great, because we had set a playlist we just switched it on, cranked up the volume and that was that! We had a speaker indoors and one on the patio and we really did dance the night away. No offense to any DJ's out there but I just really liked choosing ALL my own music, there were no 'sit down' songs and all our favourite ever songs were on and in perfect timing. At previous weddings I've been to there has been some great music from the DJ, don't get me wrong, but there has also been some iffy music.Plus you can save over $1000 for using the ipod.

Just be careful picking out your dance music. I used to DJ dances. Have not for a LONG time. But back then, people would request songs and I could argue that this song will clear the dance floor. They would insist that it won't. I would play, and,,,,, No one, not even the requester would be dancing. So, if you are going to do it yourself, be careful that people will really dance to them. Unless your reception is not about the dancing. If all you want is background music, an iPod, with the right speakers and amps, is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter