• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did you take your 2 year old to WDW and regret it?

A year and a half ago we left our DD home with the grandparents (she was 1.5) and took our 4 year old. It was the right call for us and she enjoyed the time with her grandparents.
This year she is 3 so we are all going next month. She is potty trained not napping, sleeping thru the night and knows all the characters. It's amazing what a difference a year makes at that age.

We took our youngest when he was 2.5. As you can see from my signature, I have two much older children too! ;) We had a fabulous time and I don't regret it at all. We took breaks every afternoon. While the youngest napped in the room, my dh took the older two to the pool and explore the resort. One day they rented a boat...another day they went to DTD. Now, this time we are leaving the older two at home and taking the youngest...but we have a *family vacation planned next summer. :thumbsup2

When my oldest was 1 we took her, she had a lot of meltdowns. Took second DD when she was 2, no meltdown but oldest was upset that I couldn't do the thrill rides with her. When oldest DDs were 11 and 9 my youngest was 1. Oldest DDs and I went, we left DD1 home. Just wouldn't be fair to other daughters not to enjoy their vacation. We went again two more times when they were a yr older, 12, 10, and 2. Again left youngest home. Youngest daughter first time was when she was 3yr 4 months. She loved it and was tall enough for the 40" rides. It was a great trip. Oldest DD is now 26 and has 2 kids of her own. DGS have been going since he was 8 months but on most all of the trips either I was there too or my DD's in-laws were. DD and her hubby were able to have park time alone. She took DGD for the first tine when she was 5 months old. We were on the DP(DD's familys first time) I had the ADR planned perfectly. As soon as we sat DD would feed DGD and she fall asleep right after, she'd sleep through the whole meal. It rained quite a bit that trip and I allowed myself to stay in the room with DGD for 3 of the 5 days we were there. (it was my own doing, we want to see our kids have fun)

OP don't let anyone make you feel bad if you leave your son home. Your daughter needs alone time with mom and dad too. Plus it's not like he will remember it. My youngest is now 17 and she's never complained. Actually she stayed with DSIL in April while DD26, DGS4 and I went for pre mothers day trip. DD17 watched DGD1 while DSIL worked. As a birthday gift to DD and DSIL last Oct I paid for a hotel for the night and kept the kids all weekend. I enjoyed the time with my grandkids and DD and her husband had alone time to reconnect(which is very important to a marriage). So do what you think is best. If I was you I'd leave him at home. Your DD will live the trip.

I should also say that DD17 and I go 2-4 times a yr, we moved and lived about 1.25 hours away. Why am I not there now?? No clue we have APs. lol

I have 3 daughters and my first 2 went when they were 5 & 3 and it was an awesome trip no problems at all.

When I had my third daughter I took her when she was 9mths, 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. When she was 2 1/2 I spent alot of time going back to the room early or just staying at the resort. I was also 7mths pregnant so I didn't mind that much(I was tired too and it was hot).

When my son was born, he stayed with Grandma while we went to Disney when he was 14mths and 2. Sure I missed him alot while we were gone but I have 3 other children to think about and having a baby would have really changed the course of the trip. And he loves being with his Grandmas next to Mom they are his favorite people-LOL.

I don't feel bad about leaving him at all. He was a scheduled routine little guy I just can't imagine that Disney would have been fun to him at all. He will be almost 3 on this next trip so keeping my fingers crossed it will be fun for him.

I think with only 2 kids you would be fine but I also think 2 is way young and your little one will be just as happy to not go.

My son's first trip was at 1 1/2 yo his second trip was 2 1/2 yo (and every year after that). I am 1 of those people that NEVER goes back to the resort until the park closes. My son napped in his carriage as we did "our" thing. I must confess he was a great carriage kid. He would rather stay in the carriage and look around than be out walking around.
He did get out to play when it was appropriate (not to crowded). His favorite thing to do was play in the water at the Marketplace and the swimming pool.

He loved the "big headed" characters, shyed away from "human" characters but didn't scream just pulled away with a smile.

I must say I did have to lug TWO crib comforters around because those are his blankies and he didn't go anywhere without them. Do you know the looks we got from lugging 2 comforters around at 90 degree weather? LOL It made my son feel safe and relaxed so I didn't mind.

Oh another confession we did have a little problem with the bus situation. As soon as we got our seats he would carry after about 3 days into our trip we knew the problem. The problem was my son needed his car seat to drive in cars. Yes even at the young age he knew he was safer in a carseat strapped in. We started carrying a belt and when we go on the bus we would strap him to me LOL He stopped crying. Weird child I know LOL

I'm with others I would never leave a child behind. I rather not go till I felt he was older enough in my eyes to go.

We took our 15 month old in July this year. I wouldn't do it again primarily because of the heat and crowds. Thankfully, my husband and I split up a lot so my 4 year old could enjoy the rides. We spent 2/3 hours max in the morning and maybe 2 hours in the evening at the parks. Otherwise, we were at the resort resting or swimming. It was difficult to find places for her just to run around at the parks because it was so crowded. The play areas had much bigger kids, so it wasn't really safe to just let her go.

With that being said, I will not hesitate to bring her again during a more off season time with less heat and more room to easily get up and stretch out from the stroller. There were many rides that she loved and I liked having my family together!

That is what I think too. It is truly not a family vacation if you leave part of your family behind.

My youngest niece went to WDW for the first time at 3 months, and then again a year later. That would have made my sister's 3 kids ages 3 months, 5, and 9yrs. Granted, on both trips I was there too to help out, and the first time my parents were along too. But still we just did things at an easier pace, and if the kids had enough, we took a break.

To be fair, my very first trip to WDW was at age 22, and I went with my sis, her husband, and their then 4 yr old son. And we left her 6 month old daughter behind. But now almost 22 years later, it would never even cross my mind to leave someone behind just to make the trip easier.

OP--I really think you should take everyone with you on vacation. There is tons to do, even with a little one along. And for you, seeing the look of awe on their little face, will be well worth any compromises you have to make in how you tour the parks.

There's absolutely no way we could go on vacation and leave a child at home. These trips are for them, not us, our time will come when they've grown and leave the nest. Let me say here, the hardest thing we have ever done was watching our 2 children grow and leave home for college (never to return home). Our son went at 6 years old and then his sister came along and her first trip was 18 mos and he at 7 yrs old. Those were the best trips ever, diapers and all that baby stuff was no big deal, not like we didn't do all the same things at home, vacation is no different. Back then there was only the one park and they could not get enough of it, the pool and playground occupied alot of time too and the CR back then was the best by far. We always stayed north garden wing ( sadly gone now ) and the huge game room, little movie theater in back and walking in and hearing the noise from the air hockey games was music to our ears. Evenings were spent on the beach, 'jammies on waiting for the EWP each night, it was a blast and to this day, noth remember some special parts of those early years and trips.

There have been many more after that, 43 and counting and now that they are grown and married, we still miss them when they can't join us in WDW. We're now blessed with a granddaughter, and she's going on her first Disney trip and she'll be almost 11 months..we can't wait and she will rule the vacation, whatever she wants.......when she's had enough of the parks, we're only too happy to leave and head back to the resort for some R&R. We never have been stay in the parks opening to close people, we enjoy the resort too much, the pool, hanging in the A/C. So children no mater what age, are a pure joy to see on vacation, their eyes light up at the smallest pleasure and to leave one at home, how could I enjoy myslef....never.

When my oldest was 1 we took her, she had a lot of meltdowns. Took second DD when she was 2, no meltdown but oldest was upset that I couldn't do the thrill rides with her. When oldest DDs were 11 and 9 my youngest was 1. Oldest DDs and I went, we left DD1 home. Just wouldn't be fair to other daughters not to enjoy their vacation. We went again two more times when they were a yr older, 12, 10, and 2. Again left youngest home. Youngest daughter first time was when she was 3yr 4 months. She loved it and was tall enough for the 40" rides. It was a great trip. Oldest DD is now 26 and has 2 kids of her own. DGS have been going since he was 8 months but on most all of the trips either I was there too or my DD's in-laws were. DD and her hubby were able to have park time alone. She took DGD for the first tine when she was 5 months old. We were on the DP(DD's familys first time) I had the ADR planned perfectly. As soon as we sat DD would feed DGD and she fall asleep right after, she'd sleep through the whole meal. It rained quite a bit that trip and I allowed myself to stay in the room with DGD for 3 of the 5 days we were there. (it was my own doing, we want to see our kids have fun)

OP don't let anyone make you feel bad if you leave your son home. Your daughter needs alone time with mom and dad too. Plus it's not like he will remember it. My youngest is now 17 and she's never complained. Actually she stayed with DSIL in April while DD26, DGS4 and I went for pre mothers day trip. DD17 watched DGD1 while DSIL worked. As a birthday gift to DD and DSIL last Oct I paid for a hotel for the night and kept the kids all weekend. I enjoyed the time with my grandkids and DD and her husband had alone time to reconnect(which is very important to a marriage). So do what you think is best. If I was you I'd leave him at home. Your DD will live the trip.

Very nicely said! I agree, do what you think is right for your family. Spending time with grandparents for some one on one is a great time too!

We took our DD when she was 20 months and have no regrets. The key I think is that we made sure that we did NOT try to cram too much in. We kept her on her regular schedule: nap every afternoon and to bed early. Because I had myself, DH and both our moms along, we had plenty of adults to take turns staying back in the room with her. There is really something special about seeing Disney through the eyes of a little one. I also am very happy that we went when my DS was 4, and didn't wait until he was older---it was great to see the experience through his eyes as well, and if we had waited to go until DD was older it wouldn't have been the same. I also wouldn't have enjoyed the trip leaving one child behind, but I have friends who had done it that way. Each family is different, whatever works best for you!

No offense to anyone, but when is Disney I truly relaxing experience??? Lol. When we go, we go for the adventure and the fun and we are always on the go. We get home and we are more tired than before we left, but we love EVERY moment of it. Our kids have been to Disney three times so far. That being said, they are 4 and 21 months. They both love it and we have had wonderful, fun filled family moments, and some tantrums along the way. We have done a lot of mid afternoons at the hotel or pool while the LO naps. We have also spent hours at the parks because our LO will fall asleep whenever and wherever she is tired. Is it stressful with a LO? It can be, but we would never leave our LO behind on the family vacation, because we ALL would miss her too much. But everyone is different and you have to do what is best for you and everyone else. If that means leaving the LO home, then do it.

I'm thinking the hardest part of the trip will be the car ride. We've taken mulitple 7 hour car rides with our little one to visit grandpa and grandma, and every one has been an adventure. Like shalom said, little one can get really fussy really fast and for a long time on a trip, mostly because they get bored.

Here are a few tips my wife and I discovered on our many trips:

1. Take multiple stops to let the child run around outside to blow off steam. Doctors say you should technically stop and walk around for every hours worth of driving to prevent blood clots forming, so it will be good for you too!

2. Bring a variety of toys along with. Don't give them to the child all at once, when you sense him/her getting bored (and you will know), hand out another one. A Magna Doodle is a great toy for car trips, as are activity books (the kind with flaps/sensory touch and feel pages).

3. Ask the other passengers to help entertain the little one. Chances are they will be bored with the trip too, so they should enjoy the chance to play games with the child.

And one of the best bits of advice I can give you:

4. Schedule your driving time very early or during the child's normal nap time. The trip goes so much faster if the child is sleeping for half of it. When we go to grandpa and grandma's, we get up really early and try to be on the road for 5am. Not only does that get us to the destination earlier with more of the day to spend, but our daughter still sleeps to her normal wake up time of 8am, giving her only 3-4 hours to sit, rather than the full 6-7 hours.

TL

You know your family's personality and style, so you're the best judge of what is correct for you.

That having been said, we took our 2 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD in May and DS2 was enraptured in a way that we had never seen before. He has some pretty unique special needs, and is not an "easy child" by any stretch, but he was so joyful for the entire eight days that it made my heart melt and actually drove us to purchase DVC and plan two return trips in the next year so that we can all experience it again.

While we went thinking that DD5 was the perfect age (and she was, and it was equally magical for her), our DS2 loved it and got just as much out of it. Will he remember it? Almost certainly not. But did it bring our family a lot of joy to have him with us? Without question!!!

But again, you know your child's personality, and your own personality, so it's not my place to judge your decision. Our experience, however, is that we did not regret taking our 2 year old to WDW.

Take the 2 year old with you on your family vacation. Make the trip about your children and not about you! We are going in Jan also with my 2 yr old DGS, He has an older brother and our 3 generations are going. We took him at 4 months old too but we know this trip will be harder but so what we will all be together and at Disney so if we miss a ride or show or whatever we will catch it next time. Please don't exclude the little one from your trip

If you think that your youngest won't enjoy the trip, then don't worry about leaving him. At that age, they won't remember that you left them and you can provide your other child with a fun trip. You can all go the next time.

That said, DS went every year when he was small and he did well. The travel part was a bit of a challenge whether we went by car or plane but once we got that out of the way, the rest was easy. We only had one child though.

Don't worry too much about what others think because every situation is different. Have a great time whatever happens.

maybe there's a reason you've heard to many good reports! :thumbsup2

we took DS right after he turned two (several years ago). he did wonderfully. he was old enough to enjoy it. no, he may not remember everything about it. but we have our pictures, videos and memories.

and hey, a two-year-old is free. why not take him?

Our children are older but I will say that we rarely had a vacation away from them. Our vacations were planned around our children. The only vaca that they moaned about was a DC trip because it was museums, government building tours, etc. They were all teens and it was not the most exciting vacation, in their opinion ;).

This summer we brought Dniece (single mom) and two girls, 6yrs and 18 months, to wdw. She wanted to bring them on her own and I knew it would be impossible for her to do alone so we asked her to go with us. I knew what was in store because I've raised 3 children.

The infant/toddler was a handful. She is very clingy to her mom and did not want to be buckled into her stroller. She would be fine with DH and me IF mommy was not around. Otherwise, she would just scream unless mom was holding her or she was able to free roam. She had a lot of trouble getting her to take naps. One day we got her to sleep in the stroller when her mom was riding space mountain. But if mommy was around she would NEVER had given in and slept. So plan on nap breaks.

Dining was difficult because she had to sit and play quietly. DNiece spent a lot of time holding the baby and I don't know how much she really enjoyed the parks. She keeps saying she will not do it again until the baby is 6 years old.

Bottom line is it can be challenging. Having others to help chase and hold baby is a plus. It really does depend on the child too and you know your child better than anyone.

I have to say that the baby was just so cute when she was happy. She really loved the rides and all the shows. She never complained when there was stimulation for her. She just hated the stroller, the lines, and the heat! You really have to adjust your touring to the baby's needs. If you go into it with that in mind, you won't stress so much. There was plenty of children having meltdowns that were older than the baby.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

I agree with all of the people above. I have brought both of my kids around the age of 2. Oldest was 2 and a few months, GREAT trip! And youngest was 22 months for a long trip.

It was so much fun. I would add that 22 months my youngest was sick of table service meals after a few days. (we had an 8 night trip). And, we modified things to make it work for us. IE: got counter service & ate in our room so the kids could "wander" and we could relax. Afternoon breaks, naps in the stroller.

But, it was a GREAT family vacation. I agree, our Disney trips are family time. I would very honestly feel like we were missing that 2 year old and not enjoy myself. (not judging, just couldn't do it myself).

Yes, more work, but yes, it was definitely worth it!

Disney is the best place for a 2 y/o and I'm sorry but I would regret not taking him/her. The only reason not to take them is because you would have a more relaxing vacation. So, take the good with the bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter