Did you see any sea critters on the way to/from the Bahamas?

luvdamouse

Mouseketeer
This may be one of the dumbest questions in DisBoards history, but I'm putting myself out there...

I don't know what kinds of sea creatures there might be between FL and the Bahamas, but I'm interested in what you might have seen from the ship. I'm hoping at least sea turtles, and I know it's just luck, but I'm really hoping to see something cool!!!

What's your experience, if any?
popcorn::

Hi luvdamouse:wave2:

I live here (see me?...I'm the one waving) and have always cruised and boated out of Port Canaveral. I can tell you before you leave and upon your return, you may see Manatees and Dolphins in the port along with all manner of sea birds which will follow you for quite a way out to sea. I've seen some (what must have been) giant sea turtles next to the ship as we passed them. At night, I have even had a bunch of sea gulls keeping pace with us.

While out at sea, I have seen a few whales but not very close to the ship. I'm trying to remember any sea life seen on sea days, but I really can't think of any other than maybe some school's of fish and once, some flying fish.

In the Bahamas, off the ship, I can't really think of any wildlife but that may be because whenever I've gone, we get in first thing in the morning and are at sea during the evening only to arrive at Castaway Cay the next day...not a lot of daytime hours for observing wildlife. Although in all fairness, I rarely see that much on sea days anyway...much more in ports. I think when there is a lot of boat and ship traffic in ports like Nassau, it may scare off some of the wildlife from surfacing ( I base this on absolutely no evidence other than my opinion).

Have a blast and it may still be worth bringing some small binoculars ( I always forget)

Am I likely to see any snakes in nassau or Castaway Cay, as I am absolutely terrified of them, and would rather know so I can choose to stay on the ship!

A little off topic but my son just returned today from a NY to Bermuda cruise and they saw tons of dolphins along the way to and from Bermuda....he said it was very cool to see so many.

MJ

If you watch off the side as you are leaving port - maybe the 1st 1/2 hour or so, you will see dolphins, TONS of Stingrays and Jellyfish, we aslo saw a Horseshoe crab and a few Sea Turtles.

Also, one night, full moon, we went down to deck 4. Where the ships lights shine in the ocean, we could see all kinds of fish swimming back and forth toward the lights - (several flying fish, and others we could not name).

We saw several Iguanas and lots of other lizards on Castaway as we did our bike ride - but no snakes.

Snorkeling on Castaway we saw a couple of stingrays, an eel, sargent majors, a "Dory" fish and several other brightly colored fish.

Am I likely to see any snakes in nassau or Castaway Cay, as I am absolutely terrified of them, and would rather know so I can choose to stay on the ship!

I've never seen a snake at CC. There might be some but I've never seen any. :thumbsup2 Nassau reminds me of a little city or town. The chances are not that high or coming across one. I think you are in good shape. I'm terrified of birds. This is a tough one to get around in our world. :hug:

I've always been able to stand on the balcony and watch the flying fish 'skip' through the wake of the ship on either side.

In Nassau, I saw rays near where there were some water taxis..that's about it.

Have seen dolphin insdie PC between the Disney and whatever Carnival ship, in the Trident Sub basin, and leaving the port over by the rocks. On CC, I have seen wild rays, black tip shark, lots of small fish, and barracuda. Took a snorkel tour over in the Bahamas and while there were a few small fish, I saw nothing of any size.

Squid.jpg

Thanks so much guys! For the info and for the laugh!

I have daydreams of sitting out on the balcony with coffee watching the wide open ocean and hopefully some wildlife. I'm from landlocked Kentucky, and can't wait for my first sea adventure!

Thanks for another thing to be excited about!!!

Luvdamouse,

Your question wasn't dumb at all. We're from Virginia and always enjoy the wildlife in FL. If you have time (a few hours at least) and access to a car, you would most definitely enjoy a trip to Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, which is just north of the port. While you won't see lots of sea creatures, you WILL see all kinds of wildlife if you take a drive on the Black Point Wildlife Drive. Tons of birds that you do not see in Kentucky, alligators, and possibly manatees, otters, and other wildlife. Also, July is right in the middle of sea turtle nesting/hatching season. South of the port is Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge where there are lots of sea turtle nests. Disney's Vero Beach Resort also always has turtles nest on their beach.

Enjoy your first cruise (we're going on second one the end of October!), and hope you see lots of interesting sights!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter