Did you Know??

Leajess99

DIS Veteran
Did you know that Disney sells out 97% of their rooms daily and are constantly refurbing 3% of their rooms??

I was told this by the CM that called me today in reference to an email I sent. My daughters require a VIP clean and my question was in ref to a specific room/type of room. This particular CM actually made me never want to return to Disney again especially when she tried to say that because of our last experience that the VIP cleaning did not need to have the carpet cleaned. :scared1:

I am bummed but thinking the safest bet for my daughters, especially my youngest, will be to stay off property. I loved our stays at POR, POP, and The Cabins at FWL but one bad experience makes me even more cautious.

As a former resorts CM, this is not true.

Someone else can explain the details should they feel inclined, but it's not true for a variety of reasons.

Can we say incoherent and lacking necessary details - Huh?:confused3

As a former resorts CM, this is not true.

Someone else can explain the details should they feel inclined, but it's not true for a variety of reasons.

Thanks and I figured as much.

For the PP, I have 2 daughters with severe allergies with the youngest being worse off and actually the older one is thankfully growing out of or has had enough allergy shots to stop the severe reaction she once had.

Anyway, we have stayed on site 4 different times and each time had the VIP cleaning (thanks DIS for great info). The last stay was problematic and therefore I contacted Disney to see if a special request could be made and hopefully guaranteed. The CM that called me gave me the 97% booked always and 3% refurbed response so no guarantee. She then went on to basically tell me my child just needed the VIP clean without the carpet clean.

I found it funny that she stated the 97%/3% comment because I have actually been able to get last minute reservations at Disney with no problems during a busy season.

I was just curious if anyone else had heard that comment or knew if that was in fact true which I doubted.

If this were true, there would be no need for the different seasons in booking or other incentives like free dining. Why give discounts and perks if you're always 97% booked?

Hi,
I am try to harder to understand your post but really i can't. May be you forget to post incoherent and necessary details.Thank You....

let's see if i can translate...

the OP opened with a "fact" that was spewed by a phone center CM that the OP is thinking is incorrect (and i agree that it's likely not a "fact" at all) but was using it sarcastically to make a point...

the point being that the OP is requesting a VIP or Deep or Allergy Clean (disney does offer special cleaning w/special products for those guests w/specific allergies... we always get an extra clean due to my son's food allergies and having found not on one occasion but two occasions nuts under the bed... one was a bag of airline nuts, the other was a few peanut m&ms)... so, back to the OP...

when requesting the Special Clean from a phone CM when making her reservation (assumption here on my part) the CM spewed the line re: occupancy/refurb (97%/3%) and used that as the reason the OP may not get the Special Clean as requested...

ergo, the OP is disappointed and aggravated and resorted to sarcasm on a message board... sarcasm that was not detected by most of the readers here...

any questions?!

I think what I'm confused about is how staying offsite would be better. Is another hotel going to do a better job with a special cleaning? I doubt it.

I think what I'm confused about is how staying offsite would be better. Is another hotel going to do a better job with a special cleaning? I doubt it.

i agree with that... although maybe if you are paying less you don't mind re-cleaning yourself? or perhaps it was just the CMs attitude that twisted the OP and she's doing a "I'll show you!" kinda thing by threatening to stay offsite...

again, having kids w/allergies, i have found no place better than WDW to keep them safe after thosetwo incidents that were quickly addressed (and now i know what to ask for)...

The off site resort we stay at does a great job cleaning, does not have the carpeting except in the bedroom, and actually places us in the most recently refurbed rooms. They were great in working with us in reference to my youngest.

Disney is well aware of what happened the last time we stayed at POFQ but does not seem to want to guarantee the cleaning being done or done properly even. I am quite disappointed and the CM yesterday really made it worse in reference to telling me my daughter doesn't need the carpet cleaned. She has no idea what my child's medical needs are.

Sorry it was not so clear last night but I was still quite upset and amazed about the "fact" quoted by the CM that called me.

i agree with that... although maybe if you are paying less you don't mind re-cleaning yourself? or perhaps it was just the CMs attitude that twisted the OP and she's doing a "I'll show you!" kinda thing by threatening to stay offsite...
again, having kids w/allergies, i have found no place better than WDW to keep them safe after thosetwo incidents that were quickly addressed (and now i know what to ask for)...

It is not an "I'll show you" but a "how can I trust you after you made my child sick last time we stayed there" situation. The resort we stayed in off site was very clean and there was nothing on the floor or under the beds or anything. The resort was well awar of my child's medical needs before we ever arrived and they went the distance for us.

The people were also quite nice at the resort. I loved staying onsite and POR, POP, and the Cabins at FWL were great experiences but just 1 negative experience (especially when it set my daughter back medically) can really cause you to be even more cautious than you ever have been. 10 months later and my daughter is still not back to where she was before our last trip.

Just to be clear, what, exactly, set your daughter back health-wise with the last stay?

i'll admit, i'm curious also as to what your dd's medical needs are/what problems wdw's faulty cleaning brought on...

that being said, i'm not sure a refurbed room is always the best way to go... for me/my allergies, a recently refurbed room is worse... the chemicals in the new carpeting/curtains (formadahyde specifically, which is found in new carpets and needs time to sit and air and dissipate) will give me a three day migraine where i cannot come out from under my covers (need dark/cool)... it's ironic how one thing is perfect for one and the complete opposite for another...

Just to be clear, what, exactly, set your daughter back health-wise with the last stay?

What set her back was them leaving the carpet soaking wet after they "steam cleaned" it. It did not dry properly causing her to react and setting her asthma off. We have only ever had a reaction that bad at the school she used to attend.

If the carpet had been properly cleaned and dried than it would not have been an issue. When you about bust your butt going from the carpet to the tile floor by the sinks it is not a good thing. I actually thought the tile floor was the issue but it was dry. The carpet was not and my daughter's socks were even soaked as she had taken her shoes off.

Disney was notified and we were eventually moved to a different (non-VIP) cleaned room. Mousekeeping did have to come change the bedding to the fragrance free stuff and she was a great Mousekeeper. She even started to explain about the VIP clean not knowing we had just changed rooms. When I explained the situation she even stated that someone rushed and did not do their job properly.

It makes me sad that one person rushing can cause so many issues. We have never had a problem waiting to check in if the room wasn't ready since we drive and can go do things off site or at DTD.

Sorry to hear you got the run around from guest services! I can certainly understand your hesitation in returning, given their lack of concern. I would feel the same if it were my child.:hug:

I'm not sure what advice to give. It sounds like you will be more confident and relaxed if you choose the off site resort, but it is hard to give up being on property. Maybe you could call WDW and talk with someone regarding the cleaning, just to see how a different CM handles it? We had one very bad experience with guest services several years ago, but I'm happy to say it was an anomaly.

If you still feel uncomfortable, I'd say go off site.

Whatever you choose, good luck and I hope your DDs have a great trip with no attacks.:flower3:

So the issue was not that the carpet had not been steam cleaned, bu that it had been steam cleaned. I think I agree with the CM.

It takes time for a carpet to dry. If it is steam cleaned the same day you check into the room it will still be wet when you check in. It sounds like it would have been better to vacuum but not steam clean the carpet.

I'm not a disney apologist by any means but I can't help but chime in here.

You requested the VIP clean and got it save for one issue which was the result of a single mousekeepers lack of attention to detail. You don't have any information about whether that mousekeeper does that regularly or maybe got thrown into the job due to a need.

You were moved to a new room and the mousekeeper at the new room informed you of the proper service to request and explained that it was likely the fault of the single person when informed of what occured.

Did your daughter have a reaction to the new room once you get the fragrence free sheets? If not then maybe it's true that a floor cleaning wasn't absolutely necessary?

At the end of the day it sounds like you got everything you asked for save for one issue which sadly IS GOING TO OCCUR given your daughters conditions. You worked to get them the apropriate conditions and so did just about everyone else at Disney save for one floor cleaning CM. Did you ask to have the new room's floor cleaned as with the old one and did they?

I feel bad that your daughters have the allergies that they do and I feel bad that your daughter had a reaction however I don't see cause to never stay there again given the information you've given so far.

- You asked for special treatment due to medical needs and got it
- One person made a mistake which caused an issue
- Other CM's attempted to correct the situation
- Even explained and sympathized with you about it

Unless there's additional information I fail to see the issue. I get that your a parent trying to get the best for your child possible however I don't see this as an overall issue of negligence or something that should cause you to lose trust in Disney as a whole.

I'm not a disney apologist by any means but I can't help but chime in here.

You requested the VIP clean and got it save for one issue which was the result of a single mousekeepers lack of attention to detail. You don't have any information about whether that mousekeeper does that regularly or maybe got thrown into the job due to a need.

You were moved to a new room and the mousekeeper at the new room informed you of the proper service to request and explained that it was likely the fault of the single person when informed of what occured.

Did your daughter have a reaction to the new room once you get the fragrence free sheets? If not then maybe it's true that a floor cleaning wasn't absolutely necessary?

At the end of the day it sounds like you got everything you asked for save for one issue which sadly IS GOING TO OCCUR given your daughters conditions. You worked to get them the apropriate conditions and so did just about everyone else at Disney save for one floor cleaning CM. Did you ask to have the new room's floor cleaned as with the old one and did they?

I feel bad that your daughters have the allergies that they do and I feel bad that your daughter had a reaction however I don't see cause to never stay there again given the information you've given so far.

- You asked for special treatment due to medical needs and got it
- One person made a mistake which caused an issue
- Other CM's attempted to correct the situation
- Even explained and sympathized with you about it

Unless there's additional information I fail to see the issue. I get that your a parent trying to get the best for your child possible however I don't see this as an overall issue of negligence or something that should cause you to lose trust in Disney as a whole.

well said, and ditto! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter