Did you have an epidural?

Everyone talks about the "pain" aspect and cites examples of not getting a tooth pulled or a surgical procedure done without anaesthesia. That wasn't where my mind was at all when I made the decision not to have epidurals or any pain relief. I had 2 reasons for wanting drug-free births that really don't apply to the tooth pulling scenario:

1. When I was pregnant I was somewhat careful about what I put in my body because so many things do cross the placenta and affect the baby. I might get a tooth pulled with local pain relief, but I would not have elected to have any kind of surgery with a general anaesthetic unless it had been an emergency. An injection of novocaine in the gum sufficient to numb it long enough to fill a cavity or pull a tooth might have been considered safe enough, but a needle in the spine pumping much stronger pain meds into the spinal cavity would not have been a choice I would make unless my life were at risk. If I knew my baby would be out a few minutes after the pain meds were administered I guess it would be fine, but sometimes babies are in there for hours after the epidural (getting some of the effects of the drug). I was not comfortable with that.

2. If you have a fully "natural" birth, and by that I mean one that utilizes the woman's own body as much as possible and only keeps medical help on standby, you cannot have an epidural. This is because, due to the many potential risks of an epidural, medical help has to actually be given, not just be on standby. I am talking about constant monitoring by machine, IV fluids, other drugs if needed to counter-act an unwanted reaction to the epi drugs, meds to control blood pressure if it goes out of whack etc. I had none of these for my 3 natural births. If you have a childbirth practitioner with you who is accustomed to childbirth without machines, they know what to look for in terms of things going wrong. They can then use the full spectrum of medical help if warranted. That's the sort of birth I wanted, and I did my research and talked to the OB/midwives a lot in advance so that I understood the whole process well. I could not have had that sort of "active" birth with an epidural. At all times we kept the baby's safety in mind, and we had back-up plans and equipment on hand in case anything went wrong. I was in no way against medical procedures - I just didn't want them for a birth that was obviously progressing just fine on its own.

Yes childbirth hurt like hell, especially the back labour I had with my first! But I had goals that were separate from the pain management issue, and they were more important to me than my own comfort. I don't consider that to be "crazy".

Yes, I had 1 epidural & 2 spinals.

The epidural let me sleep & I had no more pain. I had back labor from Wednesday night until Friday night so I didn't sleep much if any for 2 nights with my first. My dh on the other hand grumbled & moaned because I kept him up for 2 nights crying in pain while he was trying to sleep.

I did have my b/p drop but I didn't notice any changes in me & that Saturday am I was finally read (3 full days of labor) to push & I pushed for 10 min & could feel the contractions but they weren't painful. I do think if I didn't get the epi my sunny side up baby would not of been a fun delivery.

My other 2 I had an spinal because I had an emergency c/s (after 30 hours of labor) & repeat c/s with the last one (and I had labor with her even though I had a scheduled c/s).

baby number one- yes, it was that or a c-section.

baby number 2- kinda. emergnecy drugs shot in my back as labor was going fast

baby number 3- yes, had problems with my epi

baby number 4- nope. He came so fast, I had him in our bathroom at home instead of the hospital that I dearly, dearly love. (still a bit bitter that I didn't get my massage!)

I'm pretty sure OBs and anesthesiologists would have figured out by now if babies born from moms with epidurals were coming out drugged or having effects from the medication. Luckily ds managed to pop out lively and ready to start his life despite my epidural and pain medication. And lucky me got to be comfortable during labor. Win win for both us.

Yes. I was having a lot of difficulty. Never dilated. Unfortunately I am one of those small percentages that has a bad reaction to the epidural. My blood pressure dropped and my babies heart rate dropped and even stopped briefly. Ended up having an emergency c-section. She is and will be my only child. To risky for me, can't go through that again.

That's exactly what happened to me on my *2nd* epidural, third (and last) child. First epidural (second child) went beautifully - go figure :confused3 My BP was 60/40 before they finally got me going back to normal - poor hubby thought I and baby son were goners - I, of course, was too light headed to hardly realize what was happening.

I always find this an interesting topic of discussion. I'm a labor doula and firmly believe in a women's bodies and their ability to birth. Having said that, there are occasional instances where modern medicine can save moms and/or babies. But truly, I see where our system creates more "emergencies" than might actually occur naturally (inductions, "big baby", etc).

I've had one epidural and had several of the negative side effects that occur. I went onto have three more babies (one hospital and 2 home births), hoping to avoid those side effects. I now teach Childbirth Education and, as a doula, feel that my biggest job is to teach about informed consent. A woman who is in pain cannot have true informed consent. Please educate yourselves and know that there are options (and methods for natural pain relief). I'm also the daughter of a physician who will be the first person to tell you that doctors have their own agendas. Just because a doctor says something doesn't mean that it's actually based on science, more that it's just the "way that things are done". I'm sorry, but my babies and births were more important to me than that. I do have to say that there are definitely women who believe that it's only the end result that matters but the journey is important for some of us. So please try to respect that. Make the best choice for your family and don't look back!

Yes, I had an epidural. :worship: I wouldn't get a tooth pulled without pain medication either. ;)

labor is something natural... getting teeth pulled is not... I wouldn't get a tooth pulled with out pain meds either! I would and have had babies with no pain meds .. I dont really care if every other person in the world gets an epi.. I didnt want one so I didn't get one. its as easy as that.. a personal choice.. I loved my choice you loved yours.. :thumbsup2

Yes I had an epidural with both of my children. It obviously has to depend on each person individually. If you don't want any pain relief, that's fine and if you do, that's fine too.

Absolutely depends on a person and how much they can tolerate.

With that being said....

My 1st, I had an epidural. Only numbed half my one side, labor slowed after that. I ended up in the slice 'n' dice and he ended up in the vacuum. :) Anyhow, I have enjoyed nerve damage that was caused since then.

My 2nd, no. I was at 4cm for over a month and so by the time she was a week past due she almost didn't make it to the hospital. I was at 10cm when I got there and had only been in labor for about 1.5 hrs. She was out less than 15 min after we got there.

My 3rd, no. For some reason I felt the need to head to the ER around 11pm that night (its an hours drive and I was already almost 2 weeks past due). Had been having contractions, but nothing to write home about.. at least to me. They checked me out and sent me driving the hour back and told me to come back if the got worse. I'm silly and just told them I wouldn't be back seeing as I have to drive myself there. I got home, crawled back into bed and in 45 min my mother (who had taking sleeping pills) was on the phone to 911 because she was too out of it to drive. Yeah.. I told the paramedic to just let me have him at home, but he was like a deer in headlights. I held youngin' in til we got to the ER and then the lady there was begging me to wait til they got me in LD... as soon as they got me into the room I was pushing. Couldn't hold him in any longer. Should have seen the look on the doc's face as he came running through the door...

Wow. The whole thing played out like a comedy. I was at work all day Friday telling them I'd have him on Sunday and be back to work in 2 weeks. Had him Sunday AND went back to work in 2 weeks. The washing machine decided to leak water all over the laundry room TWICE on Saturday... Between the doctors at both hospitals, the EMTs, and my road rage that night.. yeah, too funny.....

Anyway.. as for epidurals.. NO, I'd never have one again after that first episode, but then again I'm the one that asks only for Motrin afterwards, too. I have another friend that would say the same thing... But then my sister and a few of my friends on the other hand, absolutely no tolerance for any pain and I wished they just do like back in the old days and deliver theirs with general anesthesia! - no wait, the entire pregnancy knocked out!! :)

Everyone is different.

Anyway.. as for epidurals.. NO, I'd never have one again after that first episode, but then again I'm the one that asks only for Motrin afterwards, too. I have another friend that would say the same thing... But then my sister and a few of my friends on the other hand, absolutely no tolerance for any pain and I wished they just do like back in the old days and deliver theirs with general anesthesia! - no wait, the entire pregnancy knocked out!! :)

Everyone is different.

I consider myself as one of those girls with a very low threshold for pain. I walked into the hospital both times wanting to be put on the list for the epidural. :thumbsup2 But both my recoveries were a breeze. Very minimal pain. I took Motrin for a couple of days because everyone says to stay on top of it -- you don't want the pain to hit because then it's too late for the medicine to really help out a lot. But by the time I was discharged, I was only taking a couple here & there.

yes, i had an epidural, and it's a good thing i did, because, after over 8 hours of labor and numerous attempts with forceps and suction to remove DD15 from the birth canal, it was determined that her head was wedged, and i needed an emergency c-section. come to find out, she was attempting to come out face-first, and got stuck. her removal caused all kinds of ripping and tearing, which needed surgical repair. thank God for my epidural.

I was educated beyond belief before I had my one and only. I went to classes and explored all types of childbirth and drugs and everything else I could get my hands on. My sister in law was a doula and we also had many discussions.

After weighing all of my options and knowing the type of person I am, I went for the epidural. As others have said, if you want one that's fine and if you don't then that's fine too. Child birth is a personal experience and only you (with some input from the Dad) can really decide what is best.

chloelovesdisney said:
I'm pretty sure OBs and anesthesiologists would have figured out by now if babies born from moms with epidurals were coming out drugged or having effects from the medication. Luckily ds managed to pop out lively and ready to start his life despite my epidural and pain medication. And lucky me got to be comfortable during labor. Win win for both us.

Actually they have figured that out. Babies actually can and do come out "drugged" from mom's epidural, but not necessarily severely impaired (which I think that some people think when they hear drugged). A little less vigorous, a little more sleepy, etc. Of course that doesn't happen to every baby, but studies have shown a prevalence (even if slight) among babies born through epidurals.

I'm not sure how often OBs and anesthesiologists inform their patients about the possible effects of an epidural on the baby before offering it though.

That being said, having a baby be a little more sleepy from an epidural shouldn't keep someone from choosing to have one. But it can definitely be a factor in making a decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter