• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did you buy a pearl ?

You will get a pearl. They put a piece of sand in the oyster to get it to make a pearl. And they say to pick the hariest, ugliest ones for a better pearl.

SIAP, but is there a pearl in every oyster? Or is there a chance you might pay and not get one?

Also... these are the actual pearls from the oyster, right, not some kind of touristy trick?

There is a pearl in every oyster. They are farmed oyster so something is placed in the oyster to create the pearl (paraphrasing). Oysters are also Xrayed to make sure they have a pearl.

It's like a game you can't lose - you'll always get something!

All I wanted last time went was a silver/blue pearl. Hubby being a downer was giving me grief - 'what's the chances you'll get that? It's rare. Not happening. PREPARE FOR DISAPPOINTMENT!'

I picked 2 oysters. The first one was...... drum roll...... Exactly what I wanted - a nice sized silver/blue pearl. The look on DH's face was priceless :rotfl2:

All that poor man has wanted since then is a black pearl which is the most rare I believe. He's only ever gotten pink :rotfl: Better luck in February I hope.

I'm secretly keeping my fingers crossed that I get a black pearl. If you're there in February and see a 26 year old female walking around saying, 'OMG I just LOVE my black pearl. It's beautiful. Isn't it beautiful DH?!' with a surly looking gentleman... that's me :thumbsup2

There is a pearl in every oyster. They are farmed oyster so something is placed in the oyster to create the pearl (paraphrasing). Oysters are also Xrayed to make sure they have a pearl.

It's like a game you can't lose - you'll always get something!

All I wanted last time went was a silver/blue pearl. Hubby being a downer was giving me grief - 'what's the chances you'll get that? It's rare. Not happening. PREPARE FOR DISAPPOINTMENT!'

I picked 2 oysters. The first one was...... drum roll...... Exactly what I wanted - a nice sized silver/blue pearl. The look on DH's face was priceless :rotfl2:

All that poor man has wanted since then is a black pearl which is the most rare I believe. He's only ever gotten pink :rotfl: Better luck in February I hope.

I'm secretly keeping my fingers crossed that I get a black pearl. If you're there in February and see a 26 year old female walking around saying, 'OMG I just LOVE my black pearl. It's beautiful. Isn't it beautiful DH?!' with a surly looking gentleman... that's me :thumbsup2

Would you believe that when my Mum did it she got TWIN black pearls. Made a lovely pair of earrings :)

My daughters have each gotten one in Japan on every trip we've been on and it's kinda a tradition. They are 12 and 10 and think they each have 7 pearls now...guess we are going for the necklace :)

At the beginning of Sept., my DD11 picked pearls in 2 locations - she got a large blue pearl from the pearl stand on the boardwalk near the Boardwalk hotel (8 mm) and a smaller silver pearl (6.5) in the Japanese store in Epcot.

She loves both of them. The blue pearl is in a sterling silver heart cage I bought at the stand, and the silver pearl is still in its little baggie, waiting for a setting.

Much more fun to see the ceremony in Epcot. Luck of the draw what you get, as most that I saw opened in the Epcot store were shades of creamy white, and between 6 and 7 in size.

The sliver one my DD got is really silver in color. I thought maybe it was fake. The lady made a big deal of how rare. Well, I guess you could say it is kinda rare. I now know that oyster farmers put a chemical in the water the oysters are growing in, to make the oysters produce silver pearls; but it is not guaranteed every oyster in that treated water will produce a silver pearl. So, "naturally dyed". :) Does not matter, my DD loves each pearl and I know she can wear them for years to come.

I did it a few weeks ago and got what the girl called a "silver blue" pearl, 6 3/4 mm, and I bought the cinderella carriage. I love it! The cost to choose the pearl was $17 (total with tax) and the carriage was $49.95. I think that's a little pricey for the carriage, but it's beautiful and I didn't buy much else for myself on our trip.

jdcthree said:
I did it a few weeks ago and got what the girl called a "silver blue" pearl, 6 3/4 mm, and I bought the cinderella carriage. I love it! The cost to choose the pearl was $17 (total with tax) and the carriage was $49.95. I think that's a little pricey for the carriage, but it's beautiful and I didn't buy much else for myself on our trip.

Disney wise...could be worse!;)

Last summer I picked one at Epcot. I *think* mine is gold-colored though I'm not sure. They were really busy and I had to take a number and wait my turn but it was absolutely worth it!

I had mine set in the clamshell-style setting (my youngest kiddo picked it out) and think I probably got out for under $50 for the whole thing. I've worn mine quite a bit and it's still going strong.

I want to go again--I'd love a pink pearl next time.

OMG I love the carriage cage for the pearl. Thank you for this post and everyone for the info!!

ErinsMommy said:
OMG I love the carriage cage for the pearl. Thank you for this post and everyone for the info!!

I do too! Can't decide WHAT I want!!

This is something that we have never done before either but we are planning to in Dec when we go. I bought the carriage cage as well on Ebay months ago after being recommended by our TA. I may have to do it for myself as well after seeing all the nice pics! :)

We let my DS pick a pearl in Japan when we were there around Mother's Day and had it set and game it to my mom as a Mother's Day gift. On our April trip I'm going to let my DD(4) pick a pearl. I think I'm going to get one of the carriages on ebay for her. Her birthday is in June and the pearl is one of the June birthstones (plus at only 4 she already loves jewelry) so I think she is going to love it. The women who work in the shop in Epcot really made the ceremony so fun when my son did it.

Do you pay for each oyster you pick or do you only pay if you want to keep the pearl? I understand about paying for a setting. Are all settings around $50 or more?

This looks like so much fun! I think my DDs will love it, and I may even splurge and pay for my four niecesto do it also! I'll definitely be buying teh carriages off Ebay. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Amunet said:
Do you pay for each oyster you pick or do you only pay if you want to keep the pearl? I understand about paying for a setting. Are all settings around $50 or more?

Hmm. I don't know if you could pick and not keep the pearl. A pp did.say there were pearls in the back. So maybe.

Some settings are cheaper, pp 's have mentioned having a total of $60, including the pearl . Some have had much more pricey ones.

You must pay for the oyster in advance. Whatever is in it, is yours.
I know there are less expensive settings that $50.:)

meant to say - I know there are settings that are less expensive than $50.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter