Did you, as parents, every go back to WDW without your kids?

Mickeyhugger

DIS Veteran
Our daughter is almost 18, and will be in college by the time we take this trip (so we're planning.)

A little bit of background..we went to WDW every year for 7 years from the time she was 3 (almost 4.) We always took her out of school for a week (back in the day when we could get the GF for 179.00 per night, and length of stay park-hoppers.) We did all of the 'must-dos'...CRT breakfast, Illuminations, Fantasmic, and two different years..her birthday. January 2005 was our last trip. (Didn't want to take her out of school after that, as she was in 5th grade.)

We can't believe (now) how much WDW has changed! (After viewing all of the photos from websites, blogs and forums.) We're now eager to get back. We're a family of Disney nuts:crazy: We've taken Disney cruises in lieu of visiting the parks, and we go during spring break and summer.

Here's my problem...I easily get melancholy. I'm concerned that I'll be overwhelmed with memories of when our DD was little, wearing her princess dress, and believing characters were 'real.' She won't be able to go with us, as she'll be in college. My DH and I love the rides (except there are a few I WON'T ride) and I, especially love the shows.

Did anyone else feel the same way about going back (without kids,) and if so, did you have a better time than expected? I know this sounds silly, and that I should be very happy that WE can still go. (Grandkids, if we ever have any, are still MANY years away.:lmao:) I want to call my niece, and ask her and her husband if we can 'borrow' their 3 year-old DD (my great niece.) I don't think she'll agree to it, as they have their own plans to take her one day.

Thanks for listening!:blush:

Honestly, I enjoy WDW so much more w/o young kids. That's not to say those trips weren't incredible and wonderful!! They were!! But now, I can plan more TS, doing more shopping, walk in every single knook and cranny if I so choose. It's a transformation of sorts when your Disney kids grow up. My adult DD has gone on a girls only trip with me and my sister. Last year I went with my parents and sister and in NOV I'll be spending 2 days doing the Food and Wine Festival with just my husband. I'm planning on a trip next year and DD will definetely be my sidekick.

Until, there's grandkids (IF) I'm loving it with the adults:thumbsup2

I have an 8yr old who has made 6 trips to the world. I love taking him but I love going with just DBF. We went last December and are going alone in a couple of weeks. As much as a love taking DS, just the two of us have a great time too. It is a different kind of fun. We get to sleep late, enjoy PM EMHs, drink around the world, and eat fabulous meals. We still act like kids by riding all the rides and we have a great pictures with the characters, but can do as little or as much as we want. We also focus on the resort and location a bit more.

Go and enjoy making new memories with your DH. Disney as an adult couple is a blast!

We went solo 3 years ago for Valentines week. The girls ages 6 and 14 then stayed with grandma and grandpa. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the 1st night and day the next 3 were just "different" without my girlies!
We usually go once or twice a year as a family.
My oldest is a HS senior so we are taking in 2 trips this school year during breaks.

DH and I went back without our kids in 2010 (at the time the kids were 19 and 15). We went in September for our anniversary, and were able to do MNSSHP. Our kids didn't mind staying home, since they were older.

It was a FANTASTIC time. We were there for ourselves, and never had to worry about where the kids wanted to go, what the kids wanted to do, were they safe, etc. We went to Typhoon Lagoon and it was fabulous. I know my DH would have wanted the kids to be near us (even though there are lifeguards, the kids are our responsibility) and we wouldn't have had as great of a time. It still would have been good, but not great.

Going to WDW without the kids at first made me feel guilty. It was such a fantastic visit. You get to focus on yourself and your marriage, and have a relaxing time. We also did the backstage magic tour (7 hours).

Go without kids, and you will have a fantastic vacation!!

My husband and I went last year by ourselves, and are going again this weekend. We loved it, and had a ball, mostly because we were able to tour leisurely, which was such a change from commando style! We decided before we left, that since we'd been so many times with our boys, we didn't "HAVE" to do any rides that we didn't want to. We didn't feel like we missed a thing. We didn't even get up for park entry,as, again, we didn't have to rush anywhere. What a departure! I must admit, my feet wanted to go faster out of habit, and my husband had to remind me to slow down. Once you try it, you'll love it!

OK, first of all - I'm not going to lie - you are going to have flashbacks of seeing your child growing up.... those are precious memories that we are lucky enough to have. And who better to share those with than your hubby? :lovestruc It's going to be a whole New World tho, overlaid with smiles from Disney Days past.

DH & I loved our first trip to WDW without our son. We thought of him , esp. at things that were favorites of his & we talked about it & it was a good feeling.

BUT, we created a new way of doing the World, that was a 2nd Honeymoon kind of experience for us.... We discovered how Romantic WDW can be! :lovestruc Yes, we still do rope drop most mornings & hit our favorite attractions before the madness... but we only spend half a day at the Parks anymore - we like to have a nice lunch, lounge by the pool & in the hot tub - sit at the pool bar & watch a game & have a snack, have nap & cuddle time, enjoy late leisurely gourmet dinners ....:cloud9:

Empty nesting in Disney is like Empty Nesting at home - it's a new & wonderful experience if you embrace those memories with joy, your new relationships & memories. Don't worry, you guys will be fine! Enjoy!!!

DH & I are going in December for our first time without DD. The last few years she usually also brought a friend. So this will be very different. We actually could have gone in May but since she couldn't come we chose to go to Clearwater Beach and it rained every dang day, all day long. I think it was Disney punishment! So, although we are a little apprehensive I know we will have a great time.

We did this a few years ago for the first time.
We were able to stroll through the parks and actually "smell the roses" as they say. We sat and had our snacks or drinks and people watched, and remembered the good old days with our son.
We saw street performers that we did not know they even had at MK and HS.

We are going again at the end of the month, just the two of us. We are hoping to just explore Disney World without even entering a park.

I can't imagine Disney without the kids. I guess I can't imagine anything without them. Our daughters are 19 and 17, one in college and one a senior in high school. We just purchased DVC and I know there will most likely come a day when we end up going to Disney alone...makes me sad! I get so much enjoyment out of spending time with my kids. I don't think I will enjoy Disney nearly as much without them. =(

GUILTY! We have a 2.5 year old and this May will be our 3rd trip without him. Some think that we are selfish but not taking him with us, but Disney is our favorite place on earth to spend time together. We would choose Disney over ANYTHING and don't feel the need to take a child with us :thumbsup2

I'm not a parent so I can't speak to your specific worries... but I can say that I am 31, my sister is 29, and my parents go to Disney without us ALL THE TIME! Ever since we went off to college, they have made trips there without us. They tell us about all the different things they have been fortunate to do as empty nesters there, and how it's just a brand new Disney from that perspective... and they LOVE it! We occasionally tag along on trips with them for a long weekend here and there once every couple of years and we always reminisce about trips as kids... but I do think while those are some precious memories to all of us, my parents certainly do seem to be appreciating the freedom of doing whatever they want and not worrying about catering to my sister and I on those trips! :)

Go for it! Having been many times with kids - and most recently with the Grands - I can say that they're all great experiences, but going with just DH and me is, in many ways, the BEST. It's more leisurely, more spontaneous and just plain great fun. You'll love it!!

We have done a few trips with no children and LOVED it. It is different, each trip is special in its own way. It will be what you make it. WDW can be very romantic and relaxing. When the kids are with us we do whatever they want since we have had the opportunity to do other things they wouldn't enjoy when they aren't around. We feel less rushed and the trip is then all about them. I'm sure you will have moments that you feel nostolgic but you will have many new, wonderful memories as well. Maybe someday you will be able to go back with your grown up kids and grandchildren. My husband and I are starting to plan our next adult only/anniversary trip for next year. Can't wait.

Just a thought--a great college granduation gift would be a trip to Disney with your daughter. You could use your upcoming trip to help you plan and look forward to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter