• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did/will your employer give you a holiday bonus this year?

Wha? That is terrible!

Happened to me many years back at a new job in shipping. The other guy was new too, so they had a gal training us who hadn't worked in shipping for 2 years. It was around Christmas & all the freight companies were bringing us goodies we intended to share with the plant. Nope, our trainer snagged it all for herself. We were stunned.

No bonus here. To make it even less merrier, when parents send in trays of food for the staff (I'm a nurse at a preschool and daycare) the owner hustles them out to her car and takes them home if no staff member is around when the delivery comes. It's pretty sad.

At one of my old jobs (veterinary medicine) the HR Director sent out an all-staff email to tell us (the doctors, nurses, and receptionists) that all gifts received from clients were to be brought upstairs, unopened and not tampered with, to the administrators so they could have first dibs. But, they promised to send any leftovers down to us once they were done with it. Their reasoning, to paraphrase, was that it would be embarrassing if at some later date a client asked one of them how they liked the homemade cranberry bread and they couldn't answer honestly because they'd never had a chance to try it. Yeah... :rolleyes:

Happened to me many years back at a new job in shipping. The other guy was new too, so they had a gal training us who hadn't worked in shipping for 2 years. It was around Christmas & all the freight companies were bringing us goodies we intended to share with the plant. Nope, our trainer snagged it all for herself. We were stunned.

It happens here also but it is purchasing that gets all the goodies. They put some out for the office but not for the plant but never anything as good as they take home.

I used to get $100 cash. Since the recession we get $20. Guess it's better than nothing but I'm pretty sure the managers get a decent bonus. My boyfriend gets one based off of his company's fourth quarter performance. He just got the letter this week saying that he'll get the full bonus this year whatever that is. He thinks it's $200. They add it to their next paycheck so their bonus gets taxed. They also used to hand out a few candles at the end of the year that are the old archive ones but since the company got bought out this year they're no longer going to give them away. Guess they're going to sell them instead. Oh well. At least we still get a discount on the candles.

My husband hasn't had a raise (actually they lowered his pay) in about 15 years. Also, his Christmas bonus is $100.00 if they give one out. They used to have a nice dinner for the staff and spouses but they don't do that either. The 3 head people though get really nice bonuses every year plus a couple times a year when things are good. The really sad part of this is that it is a small business that has made a lot of money and is family owned. And we are part of the family.
tigercat

At one of my old jobs (veterinary medicine) the HR Director sent out an all-staff email to tell us (the doctors, nurses, and receptionists) that all gifts received from clients were to be brought upstairs, unopened and not tampered with, to the administrators so they could have first dibs. But, they promised to send any leftovers down to us once they were done with it. Their reasoning, to paraphrase, was that it would be embarrassing if at some later date a client asked one of them how they liked the homemade cranberry bread and they couldn't answer honestly because they'd never had a chance to try it. Yeah... :rolleyes:

I feel the :rolleyes:. I don't really mind if I don't get a piece of something, but I feel so awkward when families ask if I/we enjoyed what they sent or brought in. I don't know how to answer them because 99% of the time I didn't even know they sent something, so I've just been smiling and saying "yes, thank you". I feel bad for the daycare staff and preschool teachers that spend 8+ hours a day with their kids and aren't able to enjoy the treats. We have 3 catered lunches coming (tomorrow, Monday, and Tuesday) from different families so at least I know they'll be able to partake in something.

I get a huge bonus- which deposits in my account tomorrow. It is around three months pay and based on performance.

Yes I have been spending like a drunken sailor!

It happens here also but it is purchasing that gets all the goodies. They put some out for the office but not for the plant but never anything as good as they take home.

I think it's a rotten thing to do anyway. But swiping gifts from a department you're no longer in (as was the case here) really burned me up.

Christmas bonus? Nope. Nada.

Did work for a small company some time ago that did give a bonus at Christmas time - on occasion.

I did this year but DH got the email last night with a drawn out explanation as to why they won't be doing bonuses at his company this year. DH wasn't surprised but what bothers me about them not giving bonuses this year is that they had enough money to throw an elaborate Christmas party for all employees and their spouses earlier this month. I know many, DH included, would have rather seen the party skipped this year and bonuses given out instead, even if they were smaller than years prior. We both think it would have done more for moral than getting an email the night before bonuses usually come out saying they aren't doing them. I know both of our bonuses are not a guaranteed thing but it would have been nice to have the little bit of extra spending money for WDW next month.

I'm not feeling so bad now that I read that so many people don't get bonuses. I get about $130, which I thought really blew, coming from a background where I used to get a two-weeks pay. My husband gets that as well. My SIL works in the financial arena and gets several months' salary. Totally jealous.

State government employee here, so no Christmas bonus to speak of - ever. Our agency did get extra funding from the Feds for our performance and part of those funds were designated for bonuses. So it was a nice surprise to receive a sizable bonus in November (about half of my monthly salary).

DH is the owner of his company. He gives out bonuses, but doesn't give himself one.

My year end bonus was a duffel bag with the company logo and being told I could leave 2 hours early today.

We do have the opportunity for a bonus if various metrics are met. The bonus isn't paid out until February/March though. It's gotten less and less over the past 5 years.

I got a tshirt :rotfl:

We are not in sales plus we are non profit so not exactly in a Christmas Bonus eligible industry.

We get various tshirts during the year (volunteer opportunites and such) but this year we used our branch staff appreciation funds to get location specific tshirts made for the entire staff.

But my system is great in that we have an opportunity for a yearly merit based raise and depending on commission approval a once a year COL raise (they have never not approved it but two years ago it was 1% lower than previous or current year raises).

My brother is in a profession that does have bonuses and his can easily approach 6 figures, but he was in sales (now VP) and I wouldn't have that job for all the bonus money in the world.:rotfl2:

I work at a pretty large bank(in back office- not at a branch) that made quite a profit this year, we get absolutely nothing. And we have to pitch in food or money for our department Christmas party. I will be working Christmas Eve all day and the day after Christmas all day, man do I need to win the lottery!!! Boss gave us a small candle. :rolleyes2

More hours during the Christmas week. Also have to work Christmas Eve, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter