Did the Real Mickey & Minnie Die?

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
I knew this day would come. *She has been questioning it for about a year now but I have been able to avoid answering directly. *"At Disney they are real."

Now tonight she, DD5.5, is persistent. *"Are they real? *Are Mickey and Minnie people in costumes? *Please tell me.". * My usual responses aren't working as she continues to say "Please tell me."

So I say, "what do you think?" and she responds that she thinks they are people in costumes and I finally say she is right, glad that the room is dark and she can't see my tears. *She is sad now, "maybe I don't want to go to Disney anymore.". I explain that it is fun to pretend, that in Disney it is real, that mommy and daddy went to Disney many times before her and we love to see all the characters. *We are excited about seeing them.

She now talks about magic. *That the people drink a magic potion to help them be that character. *I agree there is magic because these characters make people happy.

Then she asks, "Did the *real Mickey & Minnie die?". *"No, as long as we all love them and believe, they will be with us.". * "In our hearts.". * "yes, in our hearts."

Ohh I told mine that working at disney was getting to be your favorite character for halloween every day! she bought it! lol but that was 8 yrs ago! yours seems younger than mine was when she started questions about them. But you did good i think!

I think you did a great job handling that with your DD. My 6yo ODS has been questioning Santa and the elves that visit in December. He asked if mommies and daddies buy all the gifts, or does Santa really bring one of the gifts (he brings the best gift in our home). I told him something similar to you that things are only "magic" if you believe in them. Santa only visits those that believe in him and parents buy for those that don't, so it was up to him to choose what to believe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter