Did Not Like New FantasyLand...

Nope, I really didn't. If you like it fine, just telling you what I heard.

I don't like Harry Potter personally. I think making a land for him is silly because the movies are not going to continue forever and after a while it will lose its popularity.[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny.

Always...

Just giving my opinion. I don't think Harry Potter will ever be as big as Mickey Mouse.

Nope, I really didn't. If you like it fine, just telling you what I heard.

I don't like Harry Potter personally. I think making a land for him is silly because the movies are not going to continue forever and after a while it will lose its popularity.

Oh, the irony on a Disney fan board. :rotfl:

Why is chicken wire getting a bad rap? The Blues Brothers played in a stage protected by chicken wire and it saved them from getting killed by a barrage of beer bottles, and everything worked out for them, unless you count that going -to-prison thing:thumbsup2

I agree with the fact that the new FL is not for everybody. We were there a couple of weeks after it opened and it was just alright for us. A little too much hype for not a whole lot of substance. I guess we'll wait until the mine coaster opens. For travelers looking for a vacation experience based on thrill rides and excitement, you will be disappointed with new FL as it is about as exciting as watching paint dry. If you want thrills, go ride the Hulk. If you want something more and want to be immersed in everything good about Disney, then get in line to visit Ariel. The new FL will never appeal to you, thrill-seeker. That's what other parks are for.

"then get in line to visit Ariel."
I am In the stand by line and I am at 10 months and counting!::yes::
do they provide snacks in this line??:rotfl2:

Ya'll do realize that every bit of this is merely opinion? I mean just because one of you thinks that the WWoHP is the greatest thing since sliced bread and someone else hates it, doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

To each their own--that's why so many different places can be so successful.

Ya'll do realize that every bit of this is merely opinion? I mean just because one of you thinks that the WWoHP is the greatest thing since sliced bread and someone else hates it, doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

To each their own--that's why so many different places can be so successful.

Thats it I think Disney and Universal needs to take all of us and send Us to Orlando and Play,,,,:cool1:i mean evaluate the two parks. Of course It will still go on being a debate but i think i can speak for all of us, that being there will give us a better evaluation!:rotfl2:

Oh, the irony on a Disney fan board. :rotfl:

I don't see the irony, Disney movies have lived on forever, hell Mickey Mouse is more popular than pretty much any Cartoon Character and he was not really in many movies at all.

bauer1168 said:
But if you've never been to Universal, how do you know NFL and DCA are more immersive? I love both WWOHP and NFL but I would have to say WWOHP just edges it. But that's just my own opinion. NFL doesn't cater to everyone and neither does WWOHP.
Once the Harry Potter expansion is complete with the Hogwarts train journey to and from each park etc. It will most likely be more immersive than anything DCA or NFL has to offer.
Either way, it's a great time to be visiting these parks with each company seeming to be going all out to out-do their opponents

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was comparing NFL and Carsland to WWoHP :) I just meant that I think Disney is finally creating more immersive experiences- literal portrayals of stories. So I think that Disney is working its way up to providing those experiences that we haven't see before. "plus-ing it" as Walt would say!

How dare you, Harry will live on in the hearts of children forever! Remember, they're books first, and I think they definitely have the potential to retain the same level of popularity as LOTR, The Wizard of Oz, etc. :wizard:

Anyway, I think WWoHP is absolutely amazing, but that's all IoA has to offer in terms of great theming. As for WWoHP vs. NF, it's Wizarding World, no contest. But the rest of the property feels so cheap to me. The shows and costumes don't hold a candle to Disney's, USF is incredibly dated, and don't even get me started on that low-budget Dr. Doom ride (after going on ToT I had to ask myself if they were even trying).

It's hard to explain, but there's just no "magic" at Universal. At Disney, I feel like there's nothing else in the world but me and that park, and that's exactly what I'm looking for when I take a vacation. I am not looking for an opportunity to catch a glimpse of the high school next door when I'm riding a roller coaster. New Fantasyland is pretty lame, but the atmosphere and theming of the entire WDW resort just goes so far beyond what Universal Studios/City Walk as a whole has to offer.

Bravo! I agree wholeheartedly!

If people don't like the new Fantasyland, I'm totally okay with that.... it's just fewer people in line when we get to go see it in June! :banana:

Since the OP claims to have already gone in 2207, I'll take the review with a grain of salt. :rotfl2:

Started Going In 1996...
Went In 1997 & Y2K...OLT Was One Last Trip...In 2004...

Christmas 2007
Went Again In 2207...Very Last Trip!

Went Again In 2010...

Now Planning For January 2013...
OMG Can Our Youngest Really Be 21?
She Was Pre-School Our 1st Trip...Now I Am Planning A Drink
Around World Showcase Tour...

OMG Can This Really Be My DW 50th Bday Trip?

Having seen them both personally, I think the Potterverse is extremely well done. It is the best-themed area in any domestic park (possibly excepting Cars Land, which I have not yet seen, but will in two weeks!)

Even with so much 'backstage' visible from inside the area? The extended queue area at Hogwarts is like being at a 6 Flags, with visible gaps open to their dumpster area, and large areas of the backside of the ride building out there for everyone to see. Not well done at all, IMO. And Ollivander's is not in Hogsmeade! The shop is way too small, cramped, overcrowded, and very poorly designed. The candy/toy stores are connected, and hard to move through as well. For all the hype, I expected better.

I think the biggest problem here is that people keep expecting New Fantasyland to be WWoHP, when it was never supposed to. The media and the "theme park experts" keep saying that Fantasyland is supposed to be Disney's answer to Harry Potter. But Disney has never said that. And even if that's implied due to timeline, where did Disney ever say that the Fantasyland Expansion was going to include any of the same elements that WWoHP has?

• Did Disney promise us a highly-technological thrill ride? No.
  • Did Disney say that there was going to be anything in the land to rival Forbidden Journey? No.
  • Did Disney say that they were building an entirely-new stand-alone land? No.

What they did say -- and what I believe they completely delivered on -- was that they were going to expand the current Fantasyland by adding two new highly-themed areas: a storybook forest that would feature attractions and activities based on Ariel, Snow White and Belle, and a storybook circus area that would double the capacity of Dumbo, retheme Goofy's Barnstormer, and provide additional character and playground opportunities for families with little kids. With the exception of the "coming in 2014" mine train, they've given us exactly what they said they would. For those people dissing the Imagineers for the water play area or the rethemed roller coaster -- why? The Imagineers gave us what they said they would. :confused3 I don't think it's Disney's fault if someone walks into New Fantasyland expecting Harry Potter. Disney never said that's what they were doing.

If you don't like New Fantasyland because you don't believe Disney gave you what they said they would, that's one thing.

But if you don't like New Fantasyland because you want it to be WWoHP and it's not ... then that's all on you.

:earsboy:

I'm not going to compare New Fantasyland to WWoHP. But what I WILL do, is say that it was kinda disappointing considering the extraordinary hype. I also think it was a giant fail to open when the main attraction that takes up most of the freaking area has another year left before it opens. It's the very definition of "incomplete". My wife and I went to New Fantasyland in December. We both looked at each other with a "that's it?" expression on our faces. It wasn't terrible, just a tad disappointing. I'm sure it's great for first time visitors to MK, but for those who've been there before, it has to be a slight letdown.

DVCMikey said:
I don't see the irony, Disney movies have lived on forever, hell Mickey Mouse is more popular than pretty much any Cartoon Character and he was not really in many movies at all.

Huh?

I think the biggest problem here is that people keep expecting New Fantasyland to be WWoHP, when it was never supposed to. The media and the "theme park experts" keep saying that Fantasyland is supposed to be Disney's answer to Harry Potter. But Disney has never said that. And even if that's implied due to timeline, where did Disney ever say that the Fantasyland Expansion was going to include any of the same elements that WWoHP has?

• Did Disney promise us a highly-technological thrill ride? No.
  • Did Disney say that there was going to be anything in the land to rival Forbidden Journey? No.
  • Did Disney say that they were building an entirely-new stand-alone land? No.

What they did say -- and what I believe they completely delivered on -- was that they were going to expand the current Fantasyland by adding two new highly-themed areas: a storybook forest that would feature attractions and activities based on Ariel, Snow White and Belle, and a storybook circus area that would double the capacity of Dumbo, retheme Goofy's Barnstormer, and provide additional character and playground opportunities for families with little kids. With the exception of the "coming in 2014" mine train, they've given us exactly what they said they would. For those people dissing the Imagineers for the water play area or the rethemed roller coaster -- why? The Imagineers gave us what they said they would. :confused3 I don't think it's Disney's fault if someone walks into New Fantasyland expecting Harry Potter. Disney never said that's what they were doing.

If you don't like New Fantasyland because you don't believe Disney gave you what they said they would, that's one thing.

But if you don't like New Fantasyland because you want it to be WWoHP and it's not ... then that's all on you.

:earsboy:

I agree completely with this. The Harry Potter land is basically trying to be the new face of Universal, while the NFL isn't it for DW...it's just expanding and re-themeing an existing portion. They shouldn't be compared to each other in my opinion.

I think there is a trend developing. We found the new Fantasy Land to be as exciting as the new Legend of Jack Sparrow attraction in HS. Now THAT was really one where everyone leaves the room expecting to board/get on/see the main attraction yet instead are dumped out on the street looking at each other like "That's IT?"

I'm not going to compare New Fantasyland to WWoHP. But what I WILL do, is say that it was kinda disappointing considering the extraordinary hype. I also think it was a giant fail to open when the main attraction that takes up most of the freaking area has another year left before it opens. It's the very definition of "incomplete". My wife and I went to New Fantasyland in December. We both looked at each other with a "that's it?" expression on our faces. It wasn't terrible, just a tad disappointing. I'm sure it's great for first time visitors to MK, but for those who've been there before, it has to be a slight letdown.

Totally agree. We went in December as well. We thought the Dumbo area was cute. Ariel was OK. And Enchanted Tales with Belle was a bust. We did go back the next day for lunch at BOG and loved it, but did not hit any of the rides. Now I know I have all boys, but Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie, and even I disliked Enchanted Tales with Belle. Just feel like they could have done so much more.

It looks & feels "Cheap"...

Not Impressed...

Chicken wire - with fiber glass, sprayed over with concrete and sculpeted(sp)
Very phony and cheap looking...IMHOP...:( :(

Crap-I'm not even walking back there then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter