Did I mess up?

IwovMickey

Mouseketeer
:sad2: We are going the week of Dec.14 - 19th. My hubby hates crowds, Me not so much. If it is really crowded that is all I will hear from him. I chose that week because all the travel books said the crowd level for Dec is lower. I have wanted to see all the lights and the parade. Has anyone gone during that time and do you have any pic's that I could show him. Please ease my mind about this. I can't get excited about our trip because I'm so worried.:sad1:

It probably will get a bit crowded near the end of the week. But some schools might have not gotten out yet. The crowds are far worse after Christmas-New Years.

I'm not sure that you are going to experience 'less' crowds as the closer you get to Christmas, the busier it will get. What I'd suggest that you do is visit the board sponsor 'Tour Guide Mike' (and get $3 off by using the link above).

His site will give you ALL kinds of hints about what parks are busy when and how to arrange where and when you go to your advantage. We used his advice on our last trip and it was well worth the small cost. We've gone to WDW so many times that his advice seemed so basic but it's dead on in how to NOT experience busy parks.

And no, I do not work for TGM or Disboards, I'm just a big fan.

Tell your DH that Disney wouldn't have offered free dining and 40% off room rates during that week if they were expecting crowds already. It is one of the lower attendance weeks, thus the need to attract more people with deals and discounts.

I hope for both of us that I am right.:thumbsup2

I have to agree with the PP. Use TGM! It works very well. I didn't hesitate to use him again for our 2nd trip. It's well worth the money.

Are we married to the same man?

We are going 12/14-12/20. According the the UG, it should be one of the least crowded weeks of the year. However, we will be doing exactly what we did on our last trip (Sept.07):

1. be at the park when they open
2. ride or see what we want to do the most, first.
3. take a break after lunch and take a nap

If your husband starts complaining and bringing you down, dump him at your hotel and continue having fun without him!

We have gone several times in the 2nd or 3rd week of December and had a great. I have noticed that the crowd levels were a little higher the last couple of years though.

The first time we went the 3rd week of December it was fantastic. We had the opportunity to see all of the holiday decorations and shows with very low crowd levels. Each year it has gotten a little more crowded.

As a previous poster noted it is nothing like the crowd levels at Christmas. We went over Christmas 2 times and while we had a great time it was wall to wall and we do not have plans to visit that week in the future!

In earlier years (80's) we usually visited in January and while we loved the lower crowd levels we wanted to see some of the Christmas shows and decorations.

We are going this year the 3rd week of January - I will miss the Christmas decorations and shows but I am looking forward to seeing how the crowd levels compare.

As another previous poster stated:
Get there early and go back for a rest at midday.
Have a great time

We went during the same time last year and the crowds were great for us. We did experience things picking up the last two days, but even that wasn't bad. The longest wait time we had was for EE, which was about 20 minutes on a Saturday. I love going in December.

We've been twice over the Chistmas holidays, but usually start our vacation on the 16th of December and stay right through to the 3rd of January.

The first week of our vacation has always been the quietest, with the crowds increasing the week of Christmas. Crowd levels stay high until New Years Day and then everything seems to return to normal again! :goodvibes

I think the best advice has already been given - get to the parks early. Most of the time in December, we found the parks were quiet until around 11am anyway, and then that's when we noticed more and more folks coming in to the parks. ;)

It kind of depends on what you mean by "crowded" -- it's very subjective. One person's "empty" is another person's "packed." You need to realize that if your hubby is not a Disney person to start with, and if he's looking for reasons to not enjoy himself, he's going to find them even if there's no wait for anything and Tinkerbell tucks him in every night. :tink:

The week you've chosen will be one of the nicest weeks of the season, both from a weather and a crowd perspective. But it will still be crowded. You're in holiday season, plus you'll have all the snowbirds down from up north. There will be lines for things, but then ... Disney has had lines for popular rides during deluge rain storms and the day after hurricanes. Some of that is inevitable.

I would worry less about "Ohmygosh, if it's crowded, he'll be unhappy" and just go ahead and make your plans. Include lots of time in between things -- that way, if you end up being able to "fit something in" because you're "ahead of schedule", you can play the "see? it's not that crowded at all" card if you need to. But the bottom line is to stop worrying about it. The trip is booked, you're going. It will be crowded or not. But if you spend the whole trip worrying about him being upset, then neither one of you will have a good time. And if he starts whining about crowds, send him back to the resort or to the ESPN Club or somewhere else where he can enjoy himself while you brave the "crowds." But to lose sleep over it and ruin your own pre-trip excitement worrying about something you have no control over ... well ... that's just silly! :upsidedow

:earsboy:

My DH hates crowds too, so when I started to think about his reaction to going in June, well . . . :scared1:

This is what I told him:

"We're going. It's going to be hot. It's going to be crowded. We have to expect that and make the most of our time together as a family. I will do what I can to plan well but there will still be crowds. Please be prepared for that."

Long story short, DH did just fine on our June trip. Can't say enough about TGM. Used him several times and he knows his stuff! Click on the link and sign up. It will be the best money you spend even if you only use his guide to which parks on which days.

:hug: Thank's everyone :hug: Some really good advice! I know whenever we all plan a trip we wan't things to go right. Especially for some of us that can't afford a Disney trip every year. He does like Disney and if he says anything I can just say " So you would rather be at home and back at work?" :laughing:
Again, Thank's all.

if he says anything I can just say " So you would rather be at home and back at work?" :laughing:
Again, Thank's all.

There you go!! Or if he's a sports fan, just dump him off at ESPN zone and go to Epcot on your own. :)

The 3 weeks after Thanksgiving have typically been far below normal crowd levels. This is when we go, and while I've noticed a small increase in the past few years, IMO it's still one of the best times to go to Disney - especially if you plan your days/parks well.

There has been a lot of speculation that the plethora of discount codes released for these weeks may spike crowd levels, but as a PP mentioned, Disney wouldn't offer all these codes if they didn't need to.

There's been equally as much speculation that the economy may result in more people canceling their trips, especially so close to Christmas.

Personally I think both will have SOME effect, but neither will be a huge contributing factor and the crowd levels probably won't be any worse than they've been in the past.

We are traveling Dec. 10 - 17th. We just booked last week. I have been trying to get ADR at several of our favorite Epcot restaurants for lunch or dinner and to my surprise it seems all our favorites are booked. I would definitely make sure you have ADR set up before you go.
Kelly

See you there, that's our week too :banana: The free dining offer has now worried me because right after that I saw a big boost of people on these boards saying they now booked that week :scared: So now there could be crowds and the restaurants will be crazy, which I don't like. I hope it isn't too bad because this is a big trip for us and it will be the last one for a long time that we will be able to do, so hopefully the parks aren't packed!

So I'll cross my fingers for the both of us and maybe we can spread a rumor that it is going to be VERY crowded and maybe it will deter any last minute planners, haha...and did you hear about that hurricane that is supposed to hit that week? ;)

We always go in early November and early February (next is Feb7-14 '09) Crowds are never big. My son rode EE 10 times from 9 to 10 AM one day! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I went during the 2nd/3rd week of Dec. last year and the crowd levels were relatively low. I think a lot of people were Xmas shopping or doing other things to get ready for the holiday. Of course, week days are always less crowded then weekends. Even if by chance the park is crowded use the time in line to enjoy each other. Play games like 20 questions or I spy or tell jokes. Vacation is all about reconnecting to those we love. This year I'm going the first weekend of Dec. Does anyone know if the candlelight processional really boosts crowds or does it not make that much of a difference?

So what is the free dining offer during Dec? We booked Dec. 10 - 17th for a conference and I didn't hear any mention of the dining offer.

Thanks!
Kelly

So what is the free dining offer during Dec? We booked Dec. 10 - 17th for a conference and I didn't hear any mention of the dining offer.

Thanks!
Kelly

The FD offer is for Disney Visa cardmembers only and, as I believe, it is Dec. 14th-19th.

I am really hoping & praying for lower crowds like there were the last 3 years December we went. However, we went last year in October, another apparently low time and jsut got back a few days ago and last week it was mobbed and has continued to be mobbed according to reports (there is a thread entitled "I am here now and boy is it crowded" if you want to read it do a search in this section.) :scared:

So despite knowing what the books & all the predictors say and what I experienced the last 3 years, I am now starting to prepare myself for more crowds then in previous years. We are going to be there Dec 13-19.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter