• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did I make the right choice !!!!

Renaek

Earning My Ears
:confused3

Hi Everyone

I know that you can set me straight....We are going to Disney Dec 7 to 17th.:banana:

My concern is this we have a discount code for 40% off..I did book the Beach Club standard room with 10 day hopper and dining (reg)

We have two kids a boy who just turned 4 and a girl who will be 6...

My husband got wind of the price which was great but he never really knew what we have spent to Disney..:scared1:

So he told me to call and see if we can change to a different resort Value. We have never stayed at a value resort only deluxe..The value resort was 2,000 less. Of course he said change it to that... :sad2:

I did we are now staying at the All Star Music regular room as they did not have preferred rooms with the discount code...

So my question is am I going to be ok at this resort...I am so sad to not be at the Beach Club we LOVE it there...

What do you guys think help me out...Any coments, concerns, questions I would like to hear it...

Thank You

:dance3:

Hi Everyone

I know that you can set me straight....We are going to Disney Dec 7 to 17th.:banana:

My concern is this we have a discount code for 40% off..I did book the Beach Club standard room with 10 day hopper and dining (reg)

My husband got wind of the price which was great but he never really knew what we have spent to Disney..:scared1:

So he told me to call and see if we can change to a different resort Value. We have never stayed at a value resort only deluxe..The value resort was 2,000 less. Of course he said change it to that... :sad2:

I did we are now staying at the All Star Music regular room as they did not have preferred rooms with the discount code...

So my question is am I going to be ok at this resort...I am so sad to not be at the Beach Club we LOVE it there...

What do you guys think help me out...Any coments, concerns, questions I would like to hear it...

Thank You

What is you compromise and try a moderate?

Hi Everyone

Thank You

In all honesty, I think the value resorts are equal to staying at a Motel 6 or Howard Johnson. I guess that is me because we have only stayed at AKL and POLY when we go.

That is my worry that the hotel will really bother me...We have only ever stayed concierge and this is a MAJOR change...

Oh what to do I am not sure how I will be able to get my husband on board with spending the extra money...:worship:

Well, I guess if my DH said we had to do a value or not go then I'd just go and make the best of it. We've stayed at Pop Century many times and it's very fun. Of course none of them compare to a deluxe, but it's better than staying home. ;)

Have you thought about renting points for a DVC resort? Maybe BCV? Over on the Rent/Trade board you can find people selling points pretty cheap these days. I've seen posts for $7, $8, and $9 points which would make a studio villa similar in price to a value. :thumbsup2 Then you'd still have your BC and SAB! :)

Although it doesn't bother us, if you've been staying in the upscale resorts, you might not be happy with the Values. NO refrigerator, ONE sink outside the bathroom, and the floorspace in the bathroom is tiny; there is literally just enough space for the door to be opened. If you are sitting on the potty the door can't be opened because your knees are in the way. See what the price at a moderate is. The floorspace in the bathroom will still be teeny, but there will be 2 sinks, a refrigerator, and more room space than at a value. We like Coronado Springs best. To us it feels a little more upscale than POFQ did, perhaps because it's also a conference center.

My first thought was the same as KatMark's..
Compromise and stay at a Mod.
Your husband is obviously worried about the money and you are worried about the resort. It seems like a mod would be an excellent compromise.
We were in the same situation with our 40% off code and were booked at The Boardwalk at one time.. but even with the 40% off we just couldn't justify the cost so we switched to a mod and we are happy with out choice.
Another option is AKL or WL... they are much cheaper than the other deluxes but still have a deluxe feel.

There must be a reason your husband wants to save the additional $ 2000 it would cost to stay at a deluxe hotel......I say stay at the Value resorts and enjoy... It's a place to rest your head..... You will be fine....

I would say that it really depends how much you use the resort.

If you are a park warrior and only come back to the resort at the end of the day for sleeping or an occasional swim than a Value would be fine.

If you are like us and don't go to the water parks, having a slide at the resort is important and a moderate is the cheapest we will go; my kids are still too small to appreciate the water parks and not strong enough swimmers yet. A deluxe is only important when accessibility to the parks, restaurants, or concierge level are of major importance.

I personally prefer the monorail resorts for their ease of transportation. The Boardwalk resorts are great to walk to Epcot WS and MGM and we will probably be staying at the BC next if I can get a bounceback. The fewer the buses I have to take, the better I say.

All that being said, we are in the same boat. If I could afford it, I would stay at the Poly every time and just visit the other resorts. We are forced to switch to the CSR, which looks very nice, as there was a $1,500 difference between the Poly and the CSR for the dates we needed. I just couldn't substantiate such a big difference given our budget and the cost of airfare.

I have stayed at the ASSp and ASMo and they are both fun for kids. Nice over the top theming and tolerable food courts with convenient fountains for the mugs. The pools are busy, but themed well. The resorts are noisy and crowded, but if you are not going to be there much and stay in the parks most of the time, you will only notice when you take the buses.

I am sure you will have a great time!

Surprisingly ervery single room at Disney is booked at that time;) You'll have to keep the BC ressie.

I feel your pain. Dh did the same thing just a few weeks ago and then I educated him on how different the resorts are and especially the transportation at the values compared to the Poly. He doesn't concern himself with these planning details but I know I would be hearing a alot of blah, blah, blah when we get there.

But I agree with another poster, if it is value or bust. Go value.

If it makes you feel any better, the activities at the BC and at the All Stars are the same. It might be fun for the kids to stay at All Star Movies with their huge icons. Then again, if you're used to space in the room, you will not be happy. I've stayed at Pop Century--and while I do like it there, I also love a room with lots of space--which is why I prefer the deluxes. So...if I can afford it, I go deluxe. If I can't, and there are several times that I can't--or it's just a quick weekend trip, I'll go value. There's nothing wrong with the values--they're just as clean, just as fun, some even have better food courts! It's just my personal preference to have a larger bathroom, and more space in the room and queen sized beds as opposed to double.

There is tons of good advice and suggestion on here. $2000 is alot of money but that is a huge change in resorts too. If you are used to deluxe we might not like the value. Also 40% is a really good deal at at a dleuxe. maybe you should show DH the regular rack rate at beach Club with tickets and dining to show him how much you are saving with the 40% code ;) ;) ;) . This is what I did last year for our Poly stay :laughing: . Is the $2000 going to be a financial burden for you? If not then stay deluxe or compromise and try a moderate resort.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Wow. I've never "flamed" anyone before, so this might be a first.

I would be greatful that your husband is looking out for your family's best interest. With a bad economy, price of gas, price of college, etc. $2000 can make a huge difference now and in the future. The way most Americans live on credit is just crazy. (Yes, I've been there too.)

Your kids are still small enough they won't care where you are staying, as long as you're at Disney. Perhaps this is a good lesson for both you and your kids. I see people in my workplace that I know will NEVER be able to afford Disney in any form. I almost feel guilty about being able to take these trips.

I grew up in a middle class family and we went to Disney about 4 times as I was growing up. Some of the time we drove from Indiana. We NEVER stayed on property. Did I appreciate it less? No. Why? First, I didn't know the difference and second I was raised to appreciate what we had, which compared to many, was a lot. Don't forget Disney didn't even have most of their resorts when we were growing up.

Once I was out of school I surprised my mom by taking her (all expenses paid) to WDW and we splurged by staying at POR. But I was still young so the next couple of trips we were at All-Stars. Did I like it less. Sure. But being at the All Stars was better than not being there at all.

As you will see from my signature I've been a lot, but have also foregone going, particularly when I was in graduate school. The money just wasn't there. You'll also see I've "worked up" to the BCV. Yes, we stay on rented points, which saves a ton of money. We've been planning & saving for this trip since last Dec. If I didn't think we'd have the money, we wouldn't be going - or we'd be staying at a value. In fact, the only reason we can go this year is because we have enough left over park ticket days from our last trip. I have a doctorate degree and work at a university, so I don't have to budget. We budget because it's smart.

Yes, for some of us staying at a deluxe helps our self-esteen and pride. And yes, I too am jealous of others when I stay at a value. But other than standing at the bus stops, who even knows?!

Will your experience at a value be different? Absolutely. But the fun, photos, & family time will still be the same. Your kids will learn a lot by your attitude. If you grumble the whole time, your kids will learn the value "isn't good enough for them". If you just roll with it, they won't know & will still have an incredible time.

I wish you the best.

Hi Everyone

Thank You

The question you can ask yourself is, how much time am I going to be spending in the room? That was a deciding factor for me. We have stayed at Delux, mod and value rooms. Why pay for a room that iyou are only going to sleep in. and maybe a little bigger. Save the money on the room and spend on other wonderful Disney things, tours, dinner shows, Ill. cruise. It is hard to decide. It took us a while, but I plan so far in advance, I had time. Good luck.

Try a moderate this way in between for you & DH. Or try AKL or WL regular rooms not club level but they could be sold out by now. Good luck. But try a moderate your DH might accept this.:)

We are going Dec 1 - 7, staying on at SSR 1-5 on points I rented from a friend. When MIL found out we were planning on going for just 5 days they offered to pay for value so we could be there 7 days and since we had not booked our flights we accepted. We have since bought a few points at OKW (DVC) and I have been tempted to try get the two extra nights at SSR and just not move but it would use up a chunk of points we could use next year. It will be tough going from SSR to ASMo but it's better than just going home. Plus our kids, DD (5) and DS (8), will get a big kick out of the huge icons.

Good luck! And remember things could be worse, you could not be going to such an amazing place at all especially with all the xmas stuff.

Oh what to do I am not sure how I will be able to get my husband on board with spending the extra money...:worship:

Well.... :lmao: :rotfl2:

In all seriousness though, if you don't think you'll be happy at a value, then don't compromise. A 40% off code for BC is great! I agree with some other posters, stay at WL or AKL with the 40% off and it'll be really cheap!

My theory is that you are at Disney and it doesn't matter where you lay your head at night. If I had to sleep in the car, I am at Disney, so it doesn't matter.

We have stayed at CR once, but we have stayed at the Values 3 times and they are great, just as wonderful as CR. For our December trip, we have switched from AS Music to WL Conceirge to regular room at WL, then I just moved it for the last time to POFQ, because DH wasn't going to get the hours promised at work. I am lucky that I didn't have to cancel my trip (although that wouldn't have happened). You will have a great time no matter where you stay, so don't worry about it. Go and Have fun, you are at Walt Disney World after all.

Suzanne

I agree with the poster who suggested WL or AKL. When my DH found out he would be in a room with kids for 10 days sleeping in a double bed (We are used to king:lmao: ) he said, "How much is it going to cost me? Do it!" Comfort and sleeping during the night on vacation was important to him.

The kids won't know any better, but this is your vacation as well. For us the comforts of the resort are just as important as the visits to the parks.

Good luck!:cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter