Did I just make a mistake? Switched from WL to Poly

We stayed there b/c my aunt won a trip and chose GF as her resort. She took two of my children as her guests so we wanted to be close by them. The GF was just too much $$ for us, and we were give a nice discount at the Poly. We didn't pay that much more than staying at a mod. So we were willing to overlook much of what was going on there. However, I would not have paid much more than we did. The resort looked like a bomb had gone off. I assume it's better now since the lobby and main pool are open, and they were both closed when we were there.

So, anyways, I wouldn't say we were 'totally happy' about paying that much to stay there during construction but we had our reasons.

Totally understand staying during the worst of the construction with a great deal like you received! Just can't fathom $400 plus a night!!!

Completely agree with you, Disney is upfront about the construction and offers more than a one Deluxe resort. Canceling a vacation over minor construction at one resort seems silly to me.

The construction at the poly the past two years has not been minor. Neither is what WL is about to go through.

The construction at the poly the past two years has not been minor. Neither is what WL is about to go through.
The prior construction at Poly was not minor at all. I think what is going on right now is. At least in my definition of minor but everyone has a different opinion on minor. To me, it's how much of the resort is impacted. Nor is what to start at WL on the Villa side minor. For the resort side it seems like it will be minor but much depends on if you are one who uses the rec services that will be closed.

Completely agree with you, Disney is upfront about the construction and offers more than a one Deluxe resort. Canceling a vacation over minor construction at one resort seems silly to me.

To be fair, I wouldn't characterize the construction at the Poly the last two years as "minor construction." They revamped the Grand Ceremonial House, ripped out and replaced the Volcano pool, built 20 bungalows off of the beach and changed three of their 14 longhouses into DVD units. Much of this was going on at the same time. That is pretty major construction and I don't care if the room is free -- when I am on vacation, I don't want to see and listen to that level of construction. I understand that there is always going to be construction going on somewhere on property. And a few brown walls here and there don't bother me. But I pay a premium to stay on property because of the theming. The last two years, if you stayed at the Poly, you didn't feel like your were staying on a Polynesian island. The theme was more of a "Bob-the-Builder Playland."

And based on recent pictures of the quiet pool construction, the center of the resort is a mess. The quiet pool is surrounded by six longhouses, meaning about 20-25% of their guests look out their window and see a completely demoed area with construction vehicles and contractors working throughout the day. The warning they give you on the WDW website does not give you a good enough idea of the extent of the construction -- "Disney's Polynesian Village Resort is currently undergoing a transformation! Please note that you may see or hear work in progress while we create new magic—including enhancements to the Polynesian East Pool, which will be closed from late spring 2015 through early 2016." Contrast "enhancements to the Polynesian East Pool" with the pictures of the area on Tikiman's Facebook page. Now, they do give you a number to call for more information. I called. Here's what I was told -- "The resort has been entirely updated. Everything is open except the East Pool." I told the cm we usually stay at the Hawaii Longhouse and was concerned about the extent of the construction. The cm told me I might hear some noise during the day but it was "just on the East Pool." Now, If I based my decision to stay at the Poly and pay $750 a night for a concierge garden room view, showed up, opened up my curtains, and saw this ....

11986343_1036965936348080_4651595733683468227_n.jpg

I would probably be more than a little disappointed and feel that I had been misled a bit.

To be fair, I wouldn't characterize the construction at the Poly the last two years as "minor construction." They revamped the Grand Ceremonial House, ripped out and replaced the Volcano pool, built 20 bungalows off of the beach and changed three of their 14 longhouses into DVD units. Much of this was going on at the same time. That is pretty major construction and I don't care if the room is free -- when I am on vacation, I don't want to see and listen to that level of construction. I understand that there is always going to be construction going on somewhere on property. And a few brown walls here and there don't bother me. But I pay a premium to stay on property because of the theming. The last two years, if you stayed at the Poly, you didn't feel like your were staying on a Polynesian island. The theme was more of a "Bob-the-Builder Playland."

And based on recent pictures of the quiet pool construction, the center of the resort is a mess. The quiet pool is surrounded by six longhouses, meaning about 20-25% of their guests look out their window and see a completely demoed area with construction vehicles and contractors working throughout the day. The warning they give you on the WDW website does not give you a good enough idea of the extent of the construction -- "Disney's Polynesian Village Resort is currently undergoing a transformation! Please note that you may see or hear work in progress while we create new magic—including enhancements to the Polynesian East Pool, which will be closed from late spring 2015 through early 2016." Contrast "enhancements to the Polynesian East Pool" with the pictures of the area on Tikiman's Facebook page. Now, they do give you a number to call for more information. I called. Here's what I was told -- "The resort has been entirely updated. Everything is open except the East Pool." I told the cm we usually stay at the Hawaii Longhouse and was concerned about the extent of the construction. The cm told me I might hear some noise during the day but it was "just on the East Pool." Now, If I based my decision to stay at the Poly and pay $750 a night for a concierge garden room view, showed up, opened up my curtains, and saw this ....

I would probably be more than a little disappointed and feel that I had been misled a bit.

Yikes--this is the pictures I saw AFTER I switched from WL to Poly! I don't consider this minor....and would hate to have a room look out at this....I appreciate all the responses and viewpoints but might consider calling again to see if GF is open (CR was sold out). TIA!

Last edited:

This post. Exactly!!!!

I'm staying at Poly DVC Villas in 2 weeks. I'll try to report back with detailed info for you guys visiting later this year.

I'm paying a very cheap price for my stay so I'm grateful and not switching. It's my first Deluxe resort stay ever! I only stayed at Value hahahaha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter