Did everybody else get this "my disney experience" app upgrade today?

I have not read this entire thread....but I am wondering how this new system affects AP holders?? We just returned from a trip last Thursday and are going back in Aug. 4 of us have the new plastic AP's that we just got. Our son, his GF and my dd's BF will have the Military Salute tickets in Aug. SO does that mean we will NEVER HAVE THE SAME FP times??? Can anyone explain this to me. THANKS

I don't for a moment believe that they don't care about customer feedback. That being said, I also don't believe that they are going to ditch this project simply because some people who don't truly understand how it will be implemented demand that it be trashed.

:thumbsup2 Very well said and very true.

I have not read this entire thread....but I am wondering how this new system affects AP holders?? We just returned from a trip last Thursday and are going back in Aug. 4 of us have the new plastic AP's that we just got. Our son, his GF and my dd's BF will have the Military Salute tickets in Aug. SO does that mean we will NEVER HAVE THE SAME FP times??? Can anyone explain this to me. THANKS

Why wouldn't you have the same fast pass times?

There is really not enough information out there to really understand how it will work. But from what little information we have, you would be able to reserve the fast pass times for your friends so that everyone could be together. I'm assuming that you set up your friends on your profile in the MDE site. And then someone in the group of friends can manage the fast passes for the group.

The online site (not the app) has also "updated".

I had to agree to 2 different new terms and services when I tried to log in yesterday.

Ok, so we are going in August and own DVC. So to spread the cost of our tickets, I am buying one AP (DVC discount) per month. I have never had an AP, always bought the 10 day non-exp tickets. So, I assume I will get a voucher and will need to turn in when we arrive in August. Any idea if I will be able to set up fastpass+ beforehand?

I spoke to a CM today on the Internet support desk because I had a question about my current reservation and that lead to a discussion of FP+. Take whatever I write (which is what he told me) with a grain of salt.....it's one CM.....based on my conversation with him, there are so many unknowns (at least at his level).

I was interested in the following:

1. Will this roll out before, during, or after my trip on July 14, 2013. (I'm selfish, I know ;))? CM said that they have no set date, CM's are being told by the end of the year, but based on the current outstanding issues, he feels the end of the year is Nov - Dec.
2. How is the testing going? Currently, guests can reserve FP+ attractions, they are loaded on the Magic Band. The Magic Bands work at the scanners. Biggest issue is the interface between the "online" system and the Mobile App. Current testing shows that the Mobile App is not picking up the FP+ info.
3. Will this be rolled out resort by resort? It is being tested by specific resorts. The technology is being added resort by resort. The rollout would not be resort by resort.
4. Will you be able to use FP+ and FP- at the same time? CM was not sure. The issue is that without the KTTWC, they would have to add RFID technology to each FP machine. They have no word if this is going to be done (insert my opinion - I don't think they will). If they don't, then you will have to choose between one option or the other.
5. How many FP+ can I get? This is going to be limited. No set details. Only one per day per park for the headliners is how it stands now.
6. Magic Bands will be sent to your home and you will use the information on them to reserve FP +.

Not sure if this is really anything new and still nothing more than a whole bunch of speculation, but I thought some would be interested in my conversation.

A few of my thoughts:
  • There will still be a huge number of guests who will not use the system the way it was intended.
  • The typical guest may see their average wait times come down, the typical OCD planner on DIS, however, is likely to see their average wait times go up.
  • It's almost certain that you will be able to buy additional FP+ for, say, $5 a pop: just like other theme parks, the advantages will go to those who pay.
  • Some will choose other theme park alternatives as a result.
  • This is fine in a Disney beancounter's eyes, the resulting revenue stream will more than make up for the lost faithful.

One FP+ to an e-ticket ride is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not coming to WDW to stand in lines, even if the "average" times are better. I also don't like the idea of having to burn one to get a decent parade-viewing location. But I'm sure Disney looks at satisfaction in the aggregate, not just the planner-types. It's all about the bottom line.

A few of my thoughts:
  • There will still be a huge number of guests who will not use the system the way it was intended.
  • The typical guest may see their average wait times come down, the typical OCD planner on DIS, however, is likely to see their average wait times go up.
  • It's almost certain that you will be able to buy additional FP+ for, say, $5 a pop: just like other theme parks, the advantages will go to those who pay.
  • Some will choose other theme park alternatives as a result.
  • This is fine in a Disney beancounter's eyes, the resulting revenue stream will more than make up for the lost faithful.

One FP+ to an e-ticket ride is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not coming to WDW to stand in lines, even if the "average" times are better. I also don't like the idea of having to burn one to get a decent parade-viewing location. But I'm sure Disney looks at satisfaction in the aggregate, not just the planner-types. It's all about the bottom line.

Welcome to the disboards.

I also don't like the idea of having to burn one to get a decent parade-viewing location.

I can't believe that is going to happen. I do not believe that Disney will force anyone to use one of their limited fast pass + choices on something they don't want.

What I do think that the wording about "experience" means is that Disney might offer "suggestions" to people based on their likes.

One FP+ to an e-ticket ride is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not coming to WDW to stand in lines, even if the "average" times are better.
Each of us will have to make our own decision as to whether the change is good or bad and whether we want to live with the result. I hope that you find yourself a good vacation place.

I also don't like the idea of having to burn one to get a decent parade-viewing location.
The option to stake out a spot early will still exist.

But I'm sure Disney looks at satisfaction in the aggregate, not just the planner-types. It's all about the bottom line.
Of course the company has to make decisions based on how all customers are affected. Only considering our small group is a recipe for disaster, as is believing that all of us feel the same way about these changes.

I can't believe that is going to happen. I do not believe that Disney will force anyone to use one of their limited fast pass + choices on something they don't want.

What I do think that the wording about "experience" means is that Disney might offer "suggestions" to people based on their likes.

I imagine it working more like the Fastpass options during the "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day" promotion a few years back, when you got X number of "Donald" level FP (Splash, Space, Big Thunder, etc.) and X number of "Daisy" level FP (Buzz Lightyear, Autopia, etc.)

I'm not too worried, as i am "Rope drop" person. FP+ doesn't impact that first two hours in the park! Enforcing FP return time already screwed up our FP strategy. :rotfl:
I would kind of love the opportunity to get prime fireworks or Fantasmic! viewing without having to pay a premium, or camp out of two hours beforehand.

Each of us will have to make our own decision as to whether the change is good or bad and whether we want to live with the result. I hope that you find yourself a good vacation place.

The option to stake out a spot early will still exist.

Of course the company has to make decisions based on how all customers are affected. Only considering our small group is a recipe for disaster, as is believing that all of us feel the same way about these changes.

There are so many other good vacation spots in the real "world". That is not a difficult thing to do.

You can stake a spot that isn't roped off for FP+ users, yes. The parade & Wishes will be linked to FP+ and you can guarantee those will be in prime viewing locations. Consider it an E-ticket FP+.

This isn't the only place that people are complaining about this FP+ situation. It's a big ole world out there. ::yes::

There are so many other good vacation spots in the real "world". That is not a difficult thing to do.

You can stake a spot that isn't roped off for FP+ users, yes. The parade & Wishes will be linked to FP+ and you can guarantee those will be in prime viewing locations. Consider it an E-ticket FP+.

This isn't the only place that people are complaining about this FP+ situation. It's a big ole world out there. ::yes::

I guess that you are agreeing with me.

We are annual pass holders. Has anyone heard if AP holders will be forced to use FP+ or is it a choice to use one or the other? I know they were converting or still are, so once you convert, you're stuck with FP+? Is that right?

Anyway...my first thoughts are to opt out of FP+, but I"m afraid that Disney will make regular FP so unappealing (very few FP available), that we may regret doing so.

Just converted our Annual passes this week to the new RFID passes. gate entry was AMAZINGLY fast and easy. I specifically asked about fp+ was told ( end of the year they hope) but no concrete dates, and until then we can use the current FP system. was also told that we would be the first to get a selection on magic bands, first one was free and we could choose color, etc. got to handle one and its not so bad, if you wear a watch etc, no big deal. If you don't, then take it off, they aren't permanently attached and snap on and off with no effort. Now for the important part.

RELAX people. Things are going slowly, it will most likely NOT affect your vacation in may/june/july to a great degree. You are not losing park hopper ability and if you are a AP holder and use them frequently, Its not a big deal, as you can come and go as you please anyway. Missed RnR this time? So what. Use your app and reserve it for your next day or trip. The biggest impact I see are those who can only travel infrequently and all the panic is causing unneeded confusion and concern for those folks. They are going to Disney for cryin out loud, let them be excited and happy!

For you infrequent travelers/first timers/etc: Don't let things freak you out. You will have a good time. Don't let folks here get you all cynical and worried. CALL DISNEY DIRECTLY for your questions and concerns. A LOT of the changes are rendering the tried and true touring plans either invalid or are going to cause some upheaval, and that's ok. Change is good, but as a rule, a lot of people don't like it. Yes it is messing with their "system" and yes some folks have it down to a "science that works for them" but that shouldn't affect YOUR experience. The whole point of a vacation is to relax, and spend time with your family/friends, not get an ulcer over a new system that not a single anonymous person on the internet can change or quite yet fully understands. If you go into your trip expecting the worst, you will get it.
SO chill! Enjoy! Have Fun, Take some Chances, Try reading the boards for the lesser known and just as fun experiences available to you at WDW. The parks are not just about the rides, and the little things are what make the trip memorable. the kids will remember Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger spin as a fun game, but they will TALK About the great time they had hunting hidden mickeys/Trading pins/Dole Whips/roasting marshmallows and singing songs/interacting with those special cast members for YEARS, and not a SINGLE ONE of those activities require a FP.

I'm no computer genius, I have an HTC ONE X and Caint seem to be able to down load itunes. I see it's APPLE so is there an app that works with my phone?

I'm no computer genius, I have an HTC ONE X and Caint seem to be able to down load itunes. I see it's APPLE so is there an app that works with my phone?

htc handsets do not use itunes. Check the google play store for the android app. Search "disney" and it should pop right up.

I guess that you are agreeing with me.

Actually, no I am not. But this isn't the first time you've twisted someone's words that disagrees with "your" opinion of FP+. I could have swore that you just mentioned earlier that surely a parade or Wishes wouldn't be one of the "major" FP+ choices.

I will be one of the first to come back here "next year" and admit if my opinion about this has changed.

Nudoru said:
htc handsets do not use itunes. Check the google play store for the android app. Search "disney" and it should pop right up.

Thank you Nudoru loaded and running.

The vast majority of people are not ready to deal with the technology, or the process of a FP+ system.

I am a 20 yr professional Solutions Engineer for solving top business problems, and believe me a large portion of people get stuck logging in to applications. The support, questions, and other issues are going to end up undoing any of the good out of this system as a whole.

For a while, the individuals who can navigate this process/technology will be fine, but ultimately I predict it will fail or not meet the intended result because the culture is not ready to embrace this.

WDW has language barriers, cultural barriers, etc. to overcome let alone managing this complexity of FP+. Look at the general confusion now about FP.

Maybe the way it will work is like FP now: many people don't use it due to lack of education, or lack of desire to 'work the system'. So in the end, it may continue that way; many will just simply wait in line.

Several years ago, I was surveyed about this by WDW and I told them I thought it would be a great idea. I still think it's a fantastic idea... but I just don't think that people are ready to adopt it at the levels that make it really work.

No matter what, I'm sure that WDW has patented the IP of their FP+ system, and they can always license it... so in that sense maybe it's a win for them. I think that WE as consumers are looking at a win for US.

Actually, no I am not. But this isn't the first time you've twisted someone's words that disagrees with "your" opinion of FP+. I could have swore that you just mentioned earlier that surely a parade or Wishes wouldn't be one of the "major" FP+ choices.

I will be one of the first to come back here "next year" and admit if my opinion about this has changed.

I'm sorry. I clearly misunderstood your post, or perhaps you have misremembered one of mine as I haven't taken a position on what will likely be a 'major' FP+ choice. I've stated that I could imagine our family using FPs for those attractions, but I don't think that I've attempted to forecast how popular they will be for everyone else. Of course, this also depends on what you mean by 'major'. If you mean it in some sort of 'tiered FP' sense, then I certainly don't have a position on the issue simply because I haven't fallen for the rumor that FP prereservations will be tiered. If you are speaking toward their general popularity, then I imagine that they will be popular enough to fill up, especially if same-day FP reservations are allowed.

To the post in question, I took the following positions:
1. We all need to decide where to vacation and that I hope the PP chooses a good one. You replied that there's lots of good places to vacation and that it won't be difficult to find a good one. That seems to be in agreement with my comment.
2. In response to the PP's concern that people will need to obtain a FP to get a good parade spot, I opined that one could still stake out his spot. You replied a person could stake a spot out or get a FP. That seems to be in agreement.
3. I stated that companies have to make decisions based on all of their customers, not just a small group (such as those on Internet fan sites). You replied basically that the DIS isn't the only place where people complain. Your point didn't seem to be directly on point to mine, so I took it as agreement.

If I have misunderstood and misstated your positions in any way, please set me straight. It is not my intention to twist anyone's positions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter