• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did anyone watch The Pioneer Woman yesterday?

Zandy595

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f
She was making "spreads". I had never heard of them before this show. They seemed kind of like cookie bars. She talked like everyone knew what they were and everyone loved them.

Am I the only one who has never heard of "spreads"?

Presuming we are all talking about the same thing; here they would be called "squares". Never heard the term spread used for this kind of thing - I'd assume a "spread" to be some sort of sandwich condiment not a baked sweet snack.

I saw it!

I was confused too. I wasn't sure if spread was referring to the chocolate ON the bar, but you are correct- it seemed that "spreads" seemed to be the word for the entire cookie bar.

It seemed odd to me as well.

I have it on the DVR, I watched it yesterday without sound, so I saw her make the bars, but didn't listen because we had a lot going on in the house. DD saw her make the ones with marshmallow and caramel sauce and said it looked like over kill! We have always called them cookie bars.

I have it on the DVR, I watched it yesterday without sound, so I saw her make the bars, but didn't listen because we had a lot going on in the house. DD saw her make the ones with marshmallow and caramel sauce and said it looked like over kill! We have always called them cookie bars.

We call them cookie bars, too.

Yup, saw it. I love her show but I was confused about the term "spreads" as well. Like someone else said, a "spread" is something you spread over breads or crackers. I think I've seen jarred condiments with the description of sandwich spread underneath the title. What she's referring to is simply a bar cookie to me.

I saw the show also. Never heard of the term spread, we call them cookie bars. I was also kind of surprised that they handed out the cookie pieces without a napkin and with bare hands. Oh well, it didn't appear the kids had washed up either.

My sister is a big pioneer woman fan. She told me that it was a term her brother coined:

Anyway, this was the cookie my brother requested most often. I have no idea what theyre really called, because my brother called them Spreads, referring to the fact that cookie dough is spread onto a baking sheet AND that melted chocolate chips are spread onto the baked cookie at the end of the process.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/02/spreads-my-brothers-favorite-cookie/

She was making "spreads". I had never heard of them before this show. They seemed kind of like cookie bars. She talked like everyone knew what they were and everyone loved them.

Am I the only one who has never heard of "spreads"?
Never heard the term "spreads" but from what someone else posted, it sounds like a family term. And looking at what she did and how thinly she spread out the batter, they really didn't seem to be what I've traditionally associated with cookie bars.

What they most resembled to me, was a blonde version of that brownie brittle that is becoming popular.

I've never heard the term spreads before, but everyone who grew up in rural Iowa has quite a few recipes for bars made in jelly roll pans. They are perfect for a crowd - in our case after church service with coffee. In fact, one year I gave a non rural friend of mine who always commented on my bar recipes a pan and copies of all my go to bar recipes.

I just saw the episode yesterday. I've never heard of spreads. I guess you learn something every day!

But - there is no way she had enough of them for all of those kids!!

Sorry to hijack your thread, but if you haven't made her cinnamon buns with maple icing put those on your to do list. They are positively delicious. Homemade cinnamon rolls are so much better than store bought, no chemical test. Very easy to make but a bit messy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter