Did anyone see alot "jeans" at dinner?

I agree with you, I had looked forward to us looking NICE for once...getting decent pictures. It's not like it's black tie and gown, hardly binding/inconvenient. DH totally disagrees with me, he thinks he should be able to wear jeans/shorts to dinner. How in the heck can men complain about wearing Dockers instead of jeans?? They're soft, loose, cotton...try PANTYHOSE and heels, and then we'll talk :rotfl2:

also want to add that they took our portraits entering Tritans and that pic of us dressed up turned out awesome. Don't think it would of had the same effect if dh had worn jeans. Just sayin.

Gosh...this thread is heated. Everyone...relax and breathe!!! What it really boils down to is Disney has a policy...abide by it or don't go. Simple as that. Yes, they did change the policy and are now allowing jeans. Some people agree, some don't but I'm sure it was thought out in making the change. As the mother of two teenage boys, it made my life easier on casual nights. They wore shirts with collars and NICE jeans, no holes, no fading. DH and I did not. We wore more business casual type clothing. Sometimes you have to be flexible and I think that's probably what happened with Disney changing the policy. Personally...what I object to more than a change of policy is the fact that they don't enforce it. There were people in the dining rooms in t-shirts and shorts. I guess when you get right down to it, it's not a POLICY but a recommendation. You've paid to be on the cruise and they aren't going to throw you out of the dining room unless you're buck-naked!

These Dressing threads are always heated..

I am just giving my thoughts: Enjoy your family, and the precious moments you have away from work/school whatever it may be...

Try and be so wrapped up in your own, that you do not worry about anyone else.. I have learned a lot since being on these boards. It is too easy to judge a book by its cover...Maybe there is a reason one does or doesn't wear suits/dresses whatever it is...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=821242 Read this, and hug your family, because we never know what tomorrow brings.. :sunny:

While my MIL was enduring chemo for lung/breast/liver cancer she had a wig on, and LOVED to go to shopping (at least in the beginning)..she had to use the electric wheelchair, and actually she looked quite good..On more than one occasion people commented on how lazy healthy people are, and that someone so young should not use the wheelchair...Well, she whipped off her wig, fake eyelashes, and gave those people an eyefull, as well as an earful...

You just never know what people are going through...My sister has a prostetic leg, and one is much much obviously shorter than the other, and she would NEVER EVER wear a dress or a skirt...She has a hard time to dress as she is 6'4 and she would probably wear pants all the time if she was lucky enough to go on a cruise....SO what I say...

SOrry if this is a personal post, I just wanted to give another opinion...
:grouphug:

Didn't see jeans on our May 15th Wonder cruise but several shorts on men at surrounding tables. My husband then thought I made it up that he had to wear dockers. I personally think nice shorts & dress shirt is fine on a hot summer night!!!

This thread isn't bad. You should try reading some of the "Letters to the Editor" of Cruise Travel magazine. Those are really heated!

Many people who write in are traditionalists like the other poster. A lot of
flak has come from people who find cruise lines like Carnival to be "low class".

Disclaimer: Most of my cruises were on Carnival, and I don't feel that way.
I personally avoided jeans because of the dress code, and I'm glad I did.
It did make my trip feel more special. :love: I don't go for the snooty stuff,
but I do like dressing a bit better than I would at home, sitting on the sofa!

Thank-you mommasita !!! My autistic DS wore a tux and loved it on our last cruise...but, had we taken the cruise when he was three it would have been black sweat pants...because that is what he wore for months on end. These dress threads are so ridiculous...as long as people are clean, covered, and willing to make decent conversation who cares ? And those that are saying a $30 pair of Dockers is better than a $400 pair of jeans ? Sure, the Dockers may be dress code, but I bet the jeans are more flattering. Quite some time ago someone posted on one of these threads that his jeans and shirt were much more expensive and flattering than the "formal clothes" of many of the passengers...I am willing to bet this poster was right. I am very glad that DCL has changed their policy. My family does the formal night thing, mainly because DH and DS love to dress up...but I would be more than happy to share my table with a family in shorts, tanks, cover-ups, whatever, as long as they were friendly, fun, and happy to make conversation at dinner.

wide awake said:
I am very glad that DCL has changed their policy.

but I would be more than happy to share my table with a family in shorts, tanks, cover-ups, whatever, as long as they were friendly, fun, and happy to make conversation at dinner.

I'm glad DCL changed their policy too. However, I'd be LESS than happy to share my table with anyone who showed a blatant disregard for the rules and showed up in the dining rooms wearing tanks, cover-ups, and whatever, regardless of how friendly, fun, and happy they were to make dinner conversation. It shows a lack of respect.

I guess I don't understand why anyone gets upset one way or the other? Why should a thread like this get heated? I admit, the use of the word "ridiculous" I bridled at a little bit...but I don't see anything wrong with one person saying "I prefer it formal" and another saying "I prefer it casual" without slings and arrows being thrown.

Though be honest, I can see how it could get "hot" around here if someone posts that you look better in your jeans then "some" people in their finest wear. Comes across as a cruel implication that even at their best, they're unnattractive. It's rather a low blow. But then, as with all things on the internet, it's subjective and what people mean is not always how it's taken. Grain of salt and all that...

I dress up b/c I was raised that you show respect to other people around you by your dress: I wear a nice dress to a wedding to show the couple I respect that this indeed a special occasion,and worthy of trying to look my best. I'm also a big rule follower, and if Disney says it's a "no, no" I follow the rules as long as they exist (I'm more of a letter writer if I disagree then active dissension protestor ;) ) But if that's not someone elses belief system, that's up to them. A person stating that they prefer to see a more formal dress doesn't always mean they're saying others are wrong to not prefer that. I assume the same vice versa.

It always saddens me to see people unable to agree peaceably and respectfully :(

Mickeyhugger said:

I'm glad DCL changed their policy too. However, I'd be LESS than happy to share my table with anyone who showed a blatant disregard for the rules and showed up in the dining rooms wearing tanks, cover-ups, and whatever, regardless of how friendly, fun, and happy they were to make dinner conversation. It shows a lack of respect.

See, it's comments like that that irritate people - regardless how friendly, fun, and happy "we" are, somehow the clothing on our bodies would make you dislike us because we're "disrespecting" you and your choice to dress up. That is such a pretentious comment.

My family did not bring more than one formal outfit each, we just changed them up a bit for the semi-formal night. And as for comments about formal pictures, geez - how many do you need? They had them every night! We got the shots we wanted between formal and semi-formal nights, and we got our fill of pictures. I certainly don't need them every night in a different outfit. We simply did not pack more because it's a LOT of clothes to bring - and that's not what vacation is about to me and my family. We are there to have fun, pack light, mix and match and be carefree - not worry about having table mates that may dislike our outer shells even though we're really fun people.

coleland said:
See, it's comments like that that irritate people - regardless how friendly, fun, and happy "we" are, somehow the clothing on our bodies would make you dislike us because we're "disrespecting" you and your choice to dress up. That is such a pretentious comment.

My comments had nothing to do with formal night or informal night, and not showing disrespect for 'me.'

DCL requests no tanks, shorts or cover-ups in the DINING ROOMS, and if anyone shows up wearing them, its not showing respect for DCL RULES.

Please go back and reread my statement.

mommy2mnm said:
Didn't see jeans on our May 15th Wonder cruise but several shorts on men at surrounding tables. My husband then thought I made it up that he had to wear dockers. I personally think nice shorts & dress shirt is fine on a hot summer night!!!

We were on the 5/15 wonder too, and at Animators Pallet I noticed a family in short and tshirts. But other than that I never really noticed what other people were wearing. I honestly was too busy. I guess they just stood out because they were late to dinner (this was the second night) and the picture near them was lighting up. It was also dress up night that night, and I was dressed up.

I truely belive that everyone should wear what they are comfortable in. My ds and I dont have reason to dress up much, so we made sure to do so on this cruise. Plus we did get some AWSOME pictures that night.

I did read somewhere (maybe here) the jeans were allowed, but maybe its so new that not everyone has read it yet. Eventually I think it will be more common to see guests wearing jeans to dinner?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter