Did Anyone Go See the Musical, Newsies, in Movie Theaters?

AMusicLifeForMe

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I just got back from a wonderful evening out in my local movie theater to watch Disney Theatrical's movie of the hit Broadway musical, Newsies! Now, I have seen this musical twice (Kansas City and Los Angeles). I just have to say that this movie was so good! If you loved this musical, I highly recommend going and seeing the movie. I had dreamed of seeing the original Broadway cast (Jeremy Jordan, Kara Lindsay, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Ben Fankhauser), but I was unable to get to New York. So, getting to hear the songs performed by all of the original actors on the CD was just great! This movie really captured a lot in the musical that you might not have seen if you saw it in New York or while it was touring. I know I will definitely be seeing it again at least once in the remaining two days it will be showing. I really hope that Disney decides to release this on DVD, but I really doubt that they will.

So, if you saw it, what was your favorite part? I would say mine was finally seeing/hearing Jeremy Jordan sing "Santa Fe." I also liked seeing/hearing Andrew Keenan-Bolger sing "Letter From the Refuge." I really hope Disney will release that song since it was added for the National Tour, and it was not on Broadway for the Broadway Cast Recording CD. Of course, the dancing was AMAZING!

Seize the day everyone!

*Just Announced* Newsies will return to movie theaters for an encore screening on March 4th! Tickets will be available for purchase on Monday, February 27th. I saw it 2 times on stage, and all 3 days they showed in movie theaters. The musical is amazing! If you haven't seen it, make sure you make it out to a movie theater on March 4th!

You can purchase tickets here: http://www.newsiesthemusical.com

Is this the old movie from the early 90's? I think I saw it back in the day, but not in theaters. I could be interested in seeing it again if my theater is carrying it.

ETA: Clicked on the link, and it looks like this is a broadcast of the theater performance. That's still very cool though.

Is this the old movie from the early 90's? I think I saw it back in the day, but not in theaters. I could be interested in seeing it again if my theater is carrying it.

ETA: Clicked on the link, and it looks like this is a broadcast of the theater performance. That's still very cool though.
It is the the stage performance. Disney Theatrical took the musical off of touring the U.S. and Broadway, so a lot of fans are thinking this is the last chance we have to see one of our favorite musicals.

Nope. Not a fan of the changes they made. I listened to the soundtrak and was not impressed.

Nope. Not a fan of the changes they made. I listened to the soundtrak and was not impressed.
Every Disney Musical has made changes from the movie. I actually like the change, but that's my opinion. Some of the changes that other Disney musicals have done have not been my favorite.

Every Disney Musical has made changes from the movie. I actually like the change, but that's my opinion. Some of the changes that other Disney musicals have done have not been my favorite.
I know. I just didn't like him. You know those REALLY annoying musical snobs who whip out the book and complain how it isn't like the script is written??? :wave2: Now you know one. :lmao: I know a lot of people liked it, but I couldn't get past the changes. I was obsessed with Newsies growing up.

You know, I kind of prefer that they do make changes, because, I mean, if they don't, and there's already a great version of it already, what's the point of the new one. A new interpretation is better than a straight remake.

It's like these Disney live-action films they are making based on their animated films. I loved Malecifent because it offered a new twist on the story. Cinderella, while it was good, was almost exactly the same. Why would I watch that over the animated version, like, ever?

I have not seen Newsies as a theater production and haven't seen the movie in a long time (though I feel like I should).

You know, I kind of prefer that they do make changes, because, I mean, if they don't, and there's already a great version of it already, what's the point of the new one. A new interpretation is better than a straight remake.

It's like these Disney live-action films they are making based on their animated films. I loved Malecifent because it offered a new twist on the story. Cinderella, while it was good, was almost exactly the same. Why would I watch that over the animated version, like, ever?

I have not seen Newsies as a theater production and haven't seen the movie in a long time (though I feel like I should).
I don't see the live action movies. I thought about getting Cinderella from the library, but decided against it. I know I am against the grain. I know I am overly picky and a snob. I swear it is part of my charm, but DH calls it being a brat....:lmao: I get why they do them. I personally believe they are pointless. People see them and they make money, so they will keep doing it.

I saw it live and I saw it at the movie theater.

Medda as a black woman was a bit of a shock, but she killed it! Jack as an artist was a bit odd. Smashing Sarah and Denton into one character took some getting used to, but it kind of makes sense. Sarah in the original movie was more of a prop than a character. She didn't really have any personality. And OMG my favorite change was Les! Les is so much funnier and has so much more personality in the Broadway version. I loved the first time he went into Medda's theater. "I can see her legs!" :lmao:

sailorstitch

I've never seen the original film, but I've loved the Broadway cast recording for a long time even though I never got to see the show live, so I was really glad to get to see the recorded performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter