Did anyone else know about Tron??

Gosh this movie must have been so long ago if there were Drive-in's :lmao: :lmao: I thought Drive-in's were in the 50's and 60's :confused3
Well that's what you get when you weren't born at the time.

After seeing all this I want to go rent the movie, but not sure if they will have it. You think they would?? If so in what Catagory would I find it.??

Gosh I think I am the only " youngin' " to not know about Tron. And I thought I knew all the Disney Movies there were. :sad2: :rotfl:

Edit: Well if Tron was released in '82 then I wasn't even a twinkle in an eye!! I was -4 yrs. old. :rotfl: I think I need to see this movie now. LoL

Actually, It's very difficult to know every Disney movie.
While you can easily find lots of info on the films made for theaters, there are still many more feature length made for TV movies. ;)
There are over 550 feature length films made by Disney. That does not include any made by Touchstone, Miramax, Hollywood, etc...
I don't even know all of them.

Gosh this movie must have been so long ago if there were Drive-in's :lmao: :lmao: I thought Drive-in's were in the 50's and 60's :confused3

After seeing all this I want to go rent the movie, but not sure if they will have it. You think they would?? If so in what Catagory would I find it.??

Try Sci-Fi or Fantasy if not in a childrens/Disney section.

Oh. And I have bought this movie twice. Once on Video and once on DVD. ;)

ok i am only 16 but i knew about tron the movie and game i play the game on linex and i watched the movie years ago lol

I'm only 29, but man that made me feel old :lmao: There were three drive ins around here when I was growing up. But they've all been torn down. They tore the last one down in the mid 90's I think.

We have a working drive-in theater in our town that shows 3 movies at a time every night of the week, on the weekend days they use it for a flea market. Up until 2 years ago we had 2 drive-in theaters. Plus we still have all the standard multiplex theaters.

Actually, It's very difficult to know every Disney movie.
While you can easily find lots of info on the films made for theaters, there are still many more feature length made for TV movies. ;)
There are over 550 feature length films made by Disney. That does not include any made by Touchstone, Miramax, Hollywood, etc...
I don't even know all of them.

When they first created the Disney Channel all they showed were those wonderful old Disney movies you couldn't find anywhere else. I loved it, and saved my pennies in order to get the Disney Channel because at that time it was a Premium pay channel like HBO. Since it changed over to standard part of cable TV the programing has gone down hill. I would gladly go back to paying Premium to see those old Disney movies 18 hours a day. My favorite is probably "Moon Pilot".

When they first created the Disney Channel all they showed were those wonderful old Disney movies you couldn't find anywhere else. I loved it, and saved my pennies in order to get the Disney Channel because at that time it was a Premium pay channel like HBO. Since it changed over to standard part of cable TV the programing has gone down hill. I would gladly go back to paying Premium to see those old Disney movies 18 hours a day. My favorite is probably "Moon Pilot".

Yeah. I have that one on video. :) I have so many of the old movies on video. But there are so many of the Made for TV films that have never made it it video, let alone dvd. I never had cable until I went to college and it was still a premium channel at that time. I still don't have cable/satellite now. :(

Oh. And certain areas and providers don't offer TDC in standard programming. :(

I do believe that they should leave TDC the way it is (well, improve it some) and start a Disney Classic Channel. I'm sure that there are many of us that would pay premium for that. :)

I knew about Tron from the Sounds Dangerous sound-play area, you could record your voice over a few second piece from Tron. Also I read about pioneer sci-fi movies and that was one that was mentioned. I have never seen the movie, though, sadly.

I did see The Black Hole, however... may I say I never want to see it again? :lmao: I love old cheesy sci-fi films (The Thing from Another World, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, THEM!, etc.) but The Black Hole was just painful! That's a movie that is just begging for a remake, and they'd better have Jerry Bruckheimer do it if they decide to remake it. I think he'd do a good job. :)

Tron was released in 1982:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084827/

I was nine when it came out, but I remember seeing it and being astounded. It was quite amazing. It's still one of my Top 100 All Time movies. I was so happy to get the 20th Anniversary Disney DVD. Such beautiful color and restoration, and being able to see it in Widescreen again was neat.

If any of you youngsters out there want to see a technological achievement that's a quarter of a century old, buy/Netflicks yourself a copy of Tron. The Disc duels were awesome. And I can't tell you how many times my friends and I would crash our bikes trying to out race each and emulate the Lightcycle's 90-degree turns. :rotfl: Good times... good times...

On a side note - Anyone who wants to see a cool Tron salute, find and check out the music video from the Strokes for the song 12:51.

Ah..yes those were the days! You boys could not get enough of TRON! That was all you talked about was TRON!! :rotfl:

Me I couldn't understand the big deal about it.. didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But then my whole family (which consits of 2 boys and hubby) just loved it! :love: I will say that the color was pretty cool for those days of a movie..a very big movie for Disney.

I know this is going to sound like a shameless commercial plug, but joining the Disney Movie CLub was the best thing i ever They offer a ton of the older movies like Black Hole, Tron , Apple Dumpling gang, Cat from Outer Space, Blackbeards Ghost, and all those other cool movies they use to show on Wonderful World of Disney

I used to watch some old Disney movies on Hallmark. The Cat from Outer Space, Flight of the Navigator, Million Dollar Duck, stuff like that. Some of it was just :sad2:, LOL!! Some of it was great though, like 20,000 Leagues and others. :thumbsup2

I am not sure but I know i loved the movie. Bear in mind that i am geek that has tron video game pictures saved on his computer too though :lmao:

Actually The Black Hole did pretty well..not quit a big as Tron.. But it did pretty good. And that was a movie I understood more than Tron.. and Maxamillion was pretty cool.
and yes we do have both DVD movies of them!

I remember those day Grumpy... the kids would like drive us crazy needing quarters to play the game! I even remember lines to play those games...very popular!

I'm also with Goofy-Bob ... on who was better.. R2D2.. who can resist him! Yup R2D2 hands down!!

...the Disney Channel because at that time it was a Premium pay channel like HBO....
Oh yeah, all those great Disney movies. And remember DTV? I loved that too! It was Disney's take on MTV... they would take songs (usually golden oldies or classical) and make videos using snipets from old school Disney cartoons. I think the DTV for "Flight of the Bumble Bee" was my fav.

I was searching for the song "A Whole New World" from the Aladdin Soundtrack. And I came across Tron..! I never even heard of this movie before, until VMK did the month theme for it, even then I was wondering if it was a new movie. But when I saw this, http://disney.go.com/disneyrecords/soundtracks/original/soundtracks.html?cd=tron I realized why I didn't know about Tron, I was only a little kid when it came out. Did anyone else know about Tron? Or was I the only person scratching my head when Tron Month came out in VMK?!!

I actually did know about Tron. I think we even had a VHS of it back in the days when VHS was new.

Also, a little piece of information. Back when Disneyland still had the People Mover (*sheds a tear for the long departed People Mover*) there was a part where you would go through this room that was supposed to be based on Tron. It was basically a bunch of lasers all over the place. And, since I was a little kid at the time who was afraid of EVERYTHING, of course that scared me. So did the dinosaurs on the train ride. But that's another story. Ahem.

Yeah. I have that one on video. :) I have so many of the old movies on video. But there are so many of the Made for TV films that have never made it it video, let alone dvd. I never had cable until I went to college and it was still a premium channel at that time. I still don't have cable/satellite now. :(

Oh. And certain areas and providers don't offer TDC in standard programming. :(

I do believe that they should leave TDC the way it is (well, improve it some) and start a Disney Classic Channel. I'm sure that there are many of us that would pay premium for that. :)

Back in the 80s it was pretty cool because there's a basic cable channel out here in Los Angeles called KCAL (channel nine) that used to be owned by Disney (it's actually owned by CBS now, blahblah). Anyway, we always referred to that as the poor man's Disney Channel because back then The Disney Channel itself was still premium, but KCAL would always play a ton of old Disney stuff (since I'd imagine it didn't cost them anything to license it since they owned it already). So they would show all of those Wonderful World of Color, Wonderful World of Disney, True Life Adventures, old Disney cartoons, old movies like The Parent Trap, The Incredible Journey, and even Tron (the list goes on and on) CONSTANTLY. Especially on weekends. It was awesome. Too bad they sold it. :sad2:

...Also, a little piece of information. Back when Disneyland still had the People Mover (*sheds a tear for the long departed People Mover*) there was a part where you would go through this room that was supposed to be based on Tron. It was basically a bunch of lasers all over the place...
Oh sure, I'd forgotten about that. It was neat! Not only were there lasers, but here were walls on which they would project Tron-like game grids all around the People Mover so it looked like the PMs were riding through the Tron world. Complete with Lightcycles and Tanks and whatnot driving next to the People Mover. It wasn't actually 3-D but the effect was pretty well done ...

I know this is going to sound like a shameless commercial plug, but joining the Disney Movie CLub was the best thing i ever They offer a ton of the older movies like Black Hole, Tron , Apple Dumpling gang, Cat from Outer Space, Blackbeards Ghost, and all those other cool movies they use to show on Wonderful World of Disney

Actually, you can buy all of those on Amazon or Half.com (& many other places) cheaper. I also tend to buy used if I can.;) The only thing worth me staying the DMC is the Club Exclusives.

I was so happy they released the Zorro dvd's! :banana:
Of course, I bought the first season box set a couple times while a sale was going. I paid about $45 for one and turned around and sold it for $120. :rolleyes1

But, when I had money to spend, I closely watched all the Disney dvds that came out and bought what I could whenever I could. I still buy the Treasures box sets too.

My dad loved this movie. I rememeber seeing it when I was a kid and we had the video game for coleco or atari 2600. Which ever one it was on. It was fun to play. LOL I even still remember the parts of it in the People Movers ride at Disneyland. *sigh* Oh how I miss that ride.

I didn't read everything but kind of skimmed the posts in this thread but speaking of Disney channel. I remember when it started. We were so excited about it. That was when they would send you a special guide as well back then for it. LOL Also when it was a good channel. They played all the classics (movies and cartoons), original Mickey Mouse Club and so much more. One of my favorite movies that used to be on every summer over and over again was Summer Magic. Which as soon as it was out on DVD I bought it. I love all those movies. Its a shame Disney doesn't just make another cable channel for all these "older" movies and shows.
And my mom used to watch Zorro when I was a kid. LOL It was one of her favs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter