Did anyone else know about Tron??

fantasymooma

No matter what the species, men are men!!
I was searching for the song "A Whole New World" from the Aladdin Soundtrack. And I came across Tron..! I never even heard of this movie before, until VMK did the month theme for it, even then I was wondering if it was a new movie. But when I saw this, http://disney.go.com/disneyrecords/soundtracks/original/soundtracks.html?cd=tron I realized why I didn't know about Tron, I was only a little kid when it came out. Did anyone else know about Tron? Or was I the only person scratching my head when Tron Month came out in VMK?!!

I did. and I have the movie and computer game. hahahaha.

But its from the ...80's?

I love kind of old movies. ( I say kind of as to not offend anyone ;) )

I was excited because its not a mainstream disney movie. :)

Saw this when it first came out on video when I was a kid, loved it. Tron month is what got me back into playing VMK, I played when it was beta then got out of it and lost my Day 1 account and had to make a new one when Tron month hit. The Tron arcade game was so awesome.

Tron was released in 1982:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084827/

I was nine when it came out, but I remember seeing it and being astounded. It was quite amazing. It's still one of my Top 100 All Time movies. I was so happy to get the 20th Anniversary Disney DVD. Such beautiful color and restoration, and being able to see it in Widescreen again was neat.

If any of you youngsters out there want to see a technological achievement that's a quarter of a century old, buy/Netflicks yourself a copy of Tron. The Disc duels were awesome. And I can't tell you how many times my friends and I would crash our bikes trying to out race each and emulate the Lightcycle's 90-degree turns. :rotfl: Good times... good times...

On a side note - Anyone who wants to see a cool Tron salute, find and check out the music video from the Strokes for the song 12:51.

Gosh I think I am the only " youngin' " to not know about Tron. And I thought I knew all the Disney Movies there were. :sad2: :rotfl:

Edit: Well if Tron was released in '82 then I wasn't even a twinkle in an eye!! I was -4 yrs. old. :rotfl: I think I need to see this movie now. LoL

Tron was released in 1982:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084827/

I was nine when it came out, but I remember seeing it and being astounded. It was quite amazing. It's still one of my Top 100 All Time movies. I was so happy to get the 20th Anniversary Disney DVD. Such beautiful color and restoration, and being able to see it in Widescreen again was neat.

If any of you youngsters out there want to see a technological achievement that's a quarter of a century old, buy/Netflicks yourself a copy of Tron. The Disc duels were awesome. And I can't tell you how many times my friends and I would crash our bikes trying to race each out and emulate the Lightcycle's 90-degree turns. :rotfl: Good times... good times...

On a side note - Anyone who wants to see a cool Tron salute, find and check out the music video from the Strokes for the song 12:51.

LOL.

:lmao:

I honestly have never heard of the movie Tron before. I thought that it was just a new theme VMK picked out because they couldn't think of another one. :confused3 Thanks for sharing, now I know.:rolleyes1

Not only was the movie A special effects wonderland, But for all you youngins out there, the was a stand up video game made about the movie that was also abolutely genius. It was one of the only video games back then that had a knob and a joystick. I know it might hard for younger crowd to imagine but *gasp* you had to go someplace and pay a quarter to play it since there was no playstation WII or even nintendo.

Opening Screen

MCP Cone: Destroy the blocks (similar to Breakout) and move your character into the cone to clear the level. A bonus is awarded if you destroy all the blocks. The stick controls the movement of your character and the whirlygig controls the direction of fire.

Grid Bugs: Destroy the Grid Bugs and escape into the I/O Tower before the timer runs out. The stick controls the movement of your character and the whirlygig controls the direction of fire.

Tanks: Destroy all enemy tanks or Recognizers to clear the level. The stick controls the movement of your tank and the whirlygig controls the direction of fire.

And everyones favorite Lightcycles:The player controls a Light Cycle that leaves a blue trail. The joystick controls the direction of travel and the trigger controls the speed of the bike. The object is force the enemy Light Cycles (yellow) to run into each other or the trails while avoiding crashing

Also, if you liked teh movie Tron, you might want to check out another Disney movie that was ahead of its time titled "The Black Hole"

This now concludes the ramble down memory lane for the old gnome :goodvibes

I first heard of Tron when I played Kingdom Hearts 2. My family rented the movie a few months ago and I honestly could not finish it. I'm not a fan of fantasy, and the movie was just too strange for me.

...This now concludes the ramble down memory lane for the old gnome :goodvibes
Omg, thanks No.me - those pictures did bring back awesome memories. LOL I loved that game. I never did get how the spiders fit (as they were cut from the movie, mostly at least), but they were cool none-the-less.

Wasn't "The Black Hole" a flop? :rotfl2:
Actually I think it did ok. But it was "out there" (pun intended). Strange story I still don't quite get to this day... Still the technology shown in the movie was great. I like the U-shaped guns they used. And to this day it's difficult to say who I prefer... R2-D2, VINCENT, or Ol' Bob. R2 probably wins, but it's a close one. The blades on Maximilian were frightful and the special effects (again for it's time) were phenominal!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078869/

wow and sooooo many years later after these movies came out i my brother was born....and than sooo many years later i was born LOL I AM SO JEALOUS MAAAANNN I ABSOLUTELY ALMOST WORSHIP THE 40s-1990!!! NOOO FAAAIIIRRRRRRRR

Oh this thread brings back so many memories! I love Tron. It came out when I was about 4 years old. It was the first (and one of only 3 movies) I saw at a drive- in. The others were Snow White, Song of the South and Gung Ho.I love the cycle part in the movie. Sure some of the special effects can seem a little dated, but I still think it's a great movie.

Yeah i know about tron, wasn't it in Kingdom hearts, yeah i think it was, the world was space paranoids it was about computers, really weird stuff.:banana: <-Tron

I don't remember where I saw Tron, but I do remember seeing Black Hole (and other movies) at the Drive In.

Ahhh the Drive In... good times, good times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter