Did anyone else get the Disney survey that DW is exploring resort-to-resort 'taxi' concept?!

DWDan

Earning My Ears
So, I just received and completed a survey from Disney that got my feedback from a previous trip (May 2016) focused on transportation and the general survey surrounded around interest in a 'guest paid' Disney transportation service that would get you from "Concept A: Resort to resort", Concept B Airport to Resort, or Concept C, Resort to anywhere in the park." This sounds like a taxi type service where instead of getting on monorail/bus/boat you could reserve a ride in a car/van to get from resort to another property on the park (although one of the concepts was airport to/from resort).

Brief story........On our last trip we ended up getting a Mears taxi from PVR to BCR for a dinner ADR because the complimentary DW bus service would've taken an hour. We ended up getting a taxi which was IMHO outrageously priced for a 15 minute ride...I think I paid around $20. I was a bit surprised by the cost of the ride, but since we were in a crunch and it was vacation, I just dealt, but the driver was completely unfriendly...definitely didn't have the Disney service factor!

Now for 99% of the trip we used the monorail/bus and were perfectly content since they were the complementary options and we got where we needed to go, but I have to say that it would've been nice to have had the option (because getting to an ADR from PVR to a non-monorail resort can be time consuming and a hassle) and I think DW could offer a better rate than $20 and I think the service would be far better. I would even consider using this service getting from a water park, DHS, AK (maybe I just dislike the bus?) back to the resort. On our next trip I'm not even sure I would do ADR's at non monorail resorts just because of the time it would take to get there by bus, but maybe if there was this service, I might be inclined. Food for thought, I guess.

I know this will anger some people that DW is exploring yet another service that costs money, but I think that there are some people that would use it and pay for it, since time is money at Disney.

You can wish for Disney to add this type of service, but don't wish for it because you think it will be cheaper than traditional taxi service. That's generally not Disney's niche.
Exactly my thoughts. Disney will charge whatever they think Guests will be willing to pay. Reasonableness is not a consideration.

At the same time, they might try to lock Uber & Lyft out of the resorts, claiming that they're redundant to their own service, which is "safer" and "more convenient."

Oh I agree...I wouldn't it expect it to be cheaper but from a convenience and safety standpoint I would prefer that over a 3rd party service.

They've tried this before. It seems like maybe it was last year. They provided guests at certain resorts with taxi vouchers to get to other resorts for meals. Honestly, it a complementary taxi wasn't well received, I can't imaging that a paid service would go over any better.

If they tried to start something like this (a Disney branded taxi-type service) I don't think that they would do it in house. They would most likely contract it out to a third party like they do with DME. If it came into being I would expect that Mears would be the provider since they have a relationship with Disney running DME, and experience running the taxis that are already at Disney.

Def worried or competing with Uber. I wonder if they will prevent uber from coming on property next? The paid for voucher will secure you one VIP seat on a bus I expect lol. Oh and then there is the dessert party bus...after hours...

If they tried to start something like this (a Disney branded taxi-type service) I don't think that they would do it in house. They would most likely contract it out to a third party like they do with DME. If it came into being I would expect that Mears would be the provider since they have a relationship with Disney running DME, and experience running the taxis that are already at Disney.

This would bum me out, because I was not at all impressed with the 2 Mears experiences I had (one from airport to DW and the other from PVR to BCR)!

Interesting thought. I am sure there are those who would welcome such a service. I would not. I budget for a few resort to resort taxis/uber rides for resort ADR's. I do not find the current price unreasonable. For day to day transportation, I find the complimentary transportation convenient. But I am from a large, urban NE city and have used public transportation all my life. Waiting a few minutes for a crowded bus is usual.

I'd be for a Disney run shuttle. Last time I used a taxi was from Epcot to the Wilderness Lodge. I swiped my credit card and the driver told me the reader was not working, so I paid in cash. Well, Mears Taxi also charged my credit card. Had to call Chase and they took the charge off.

Meh. I'm totally fine with Disney transportation as I'm too cheap for this, lol. I can see it being pretty popular though. I'd be very interested to see what their pricing would be.

Figure a little more than a cab and Lis more than ride share. The mouse is greedy. And the system will be run by Disney IT so when you place an order a Disney character will appear with what they think is a cute message to tell you it is not working right now

I do not think "Disney Cab " would attract riders unless it is cheaper than Yellow Cab and Uber, etc. unless all the latter are banished from WDW.

Oh I agree...I wouldn't it expect it to be cheaper but from a convenience and safety standpoint I would prefer that over a 3rd party service.
I respectfully disagree. Disney turned over DME to Mears, the same company that has the taxi monopoly at WDW. The Mears cab drivers, more often than not, are not very nice to deal with, take longer routes to run up the charges and generally don't care much about treating customers well because no other cab company can come onto Disney property.

At least with Uber and Lyft, the drivers get graded by riders, their cars must be in fairly spectacular condition and you can share your ride via email or text so someone knows where you are. None of that happens in a Mears taxi.

Why am I comparing the two? Because if Disney decided to brand a car service for WDW, it would likely be just like DME -- the contract would go to Mears and you'd have all the same problems you currently have with those taxis (at probably twice the price).

I would use a Disney (uber style) service if I could pay it with my magic band. They would have to have a huge fleet to accommodate families with young kids (car seats, boosters) and handicap accessible as well as everyone else. They would have to make it as easy and convenient as Uber in order for it to catch on. I just hope they leave the option of an actual Uber too, so guests can choose.

I would use a Disney (uber style) service if I could pay it with my magic band. They would have to have a huge fleet to accommodate families with young kids (car seats, boosters) and handicap accessible as well as everyone else. They would have to make it as easy and convenient as Uber in order for it to catch on. I just hope they leave the option of an actual Uber too, so guests can choose.

But if they had that many options and it caught on, where would that huge fleet of Uber style vehicles hang out waiting for guests?

I just don't see how an Uber-like operation could work under Disney. Disney is all about structure and control. They expect cm's to basically let Disney run their life, bending to Disney's schedule & business needs. Uber is all about freedom -- setting your own hours, driving as much or as little as you feel like that day, dressing as you like.

Disney would want drivers to meet higher standards than either Uber or Lyft. They would want to ensure plentiful availability at all the times they feel are important. As it is, they can never find all the bus drivers they want, largely because the onerous schedules they assign to new drivers result in many drivers leaving after a few weeks.

If Disney wants to provide personalized transportation, the solution is PRT - computer-controlled individual vehicles running on fixed guideways. There are several systems out there trying to be marketed, and while they've set up test tracks and even implemented a few limited systems (Heathrow pods, Masdar PRT in Dubai), no one has yet built a system even approaching the scale that would be needed at WDW. It would require a massive capital expenditure and a leap of faith to unproven technology -- 2 things to which the Disney Co. is not very friendly these days (as opposed to Walt's days.)

Last edited:
I haven't seen the survey, but I'm wondering if it isn't likely that what they are speaking of is an unlimited-daily ride service: Pay a per-day flat fee -- IN ADVANCE-- to get private on-demand transport for your party anywhere on property. It would probably be priced based on the vehicle size needed: up to 4 passengers, up to 6, etc., and like the meal plan, require paying for the entire registered party size and entire length of stay. This way they make quite a lot of money even if the vehicle is not on the road, and the number of users would be kept to a manageable level if it is "luxury perk". I am thinking this option would start out at somewhere around $150/day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter