Diapers and forumula

dhuba

Mouseketeer
The family just found out that my 22 year old niece is over 7 months pregnant unexpectedly. She will be a single mom living at home with her mom and dad for now. We haven't had a baby in the family for 20 years and I want to help her as much as possible. What are the best brand of diapers nowadays, and where is the cheapest place to buy them? Also, in case she doesn't breastfeed, where is the best price on formula? I now believe those people on that show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant". She didn't. She had several negative at home pregnancy tests and was still fitting in her tiny jeans until a few weeks ago. She also had some periods, although irregular, and no morning sickness. Now she has only two months to get ready and we are running around planning a shower. Are there any must haves on a baby shower registry these days? Thanks.

She might want to look into using cloth. Big initial outlay, but then it's just washing them.

Please don't overplan for her not nursing. Rather, if it comes up, encourage her to do it. Pregnant women are always welcome at La Leche League meetings so they can get a support group for those hard times.

My cousin found out in October that she was due in late January-ish*. It was her third baby and she had gained some, but just figured it was from eating. And she thought she was starting menopause (at 35, so there was a wee bit of denial there). Surprise! Her mom had to pretty much tell her what was going on, LOL.

*it's really hard to get a relatively good due date, even if one wants to go by such things, when you're that far along!

Make sure she signs up on all the different formula and diaper websites for freebees and cupons.

I would also hold off on buying bulk diapers as you never know if they will have allergy problems. My youngest, for example would turn bright red with most diapers but the huggies cotton ones (forget the name). But we had to try several brands to find that out so we were glad we waited until after he was born to buy lots of diapers. They grow fast too lol. Small amounts of various sizes and types might be good to see what works best. Some kids fit certain diapers better.

Buy a couple different brands. Depending on build the brands fit differently. From what I've seen long lean babies for pampers better while huskies kids fit huggies.
I've never done the formula thing, but I know it's pretty expensive so keep an eye out for formula coupons. Sign up for all the formula brands online "groups" and they'll mail free samples and coupons.
I'd suggest encouraging her to take a breastfeeding class and go to a le leche league meeting. Support is the best way to successfully breastfeed.

Sign her up (or yourself) with formula manufacturers and some send checks to use at the store to reduce the price of their products.

My favorite diapers were pampers, but they are also one of the most expensive. This is a somewhat personal decision. For me, the best place to get them was typically target with one of their gift card with purchase deals. Sam's club also sells them for a decent price. You can probably do well on amazon or diapers dot com.

If you have a once upon a child in the area, I loved those for extra baby clothes to send to daycare or to get dress clothes.

You can also do pretty well for clothes and such at target and then clearance at even Gymboree.

We used costco brand wipes and love them. If you look at the diaper station at daycare, almost everyone had the costco wipes for their kids. Kind of comical. We also found target brand wipes to be acceptable and reasonably priced.

Also keep eyes out for coupons. I even grab coupons at the pediatrician's office for things like detergent that's dye and fragrance free.

Best of luck to her!!

As others have said... There are a lot of brands of both and most times one brand will work better with a child then another.. leaking to rash.
As far as price check the Target Ads (their diaper brand worked well for us BTW) Toys R US/Babies R Us and even local super markets.. they all run specials but be aware when you know the brand and it is on sale if you walk in at 3 on a Sunday afternoon you may find they are out of stock... Baby essential sales are fierce :lmao:
Thankfully I am past that for a while......

When DD was in diapers I got them from Amazon. They had the best prices and often times had coupons as well. I also had a free Prime membership for years because of Amazon Mom but I'm not sure how that works today as it's been quite some time. I usually purchased formula at Target unless another retailer advertised it at a better price. As others have said sign her up for all mailing lists as the coupons they send are incredible!

Stock up on size 1 and 2 diapers - don't buy her anymore than 1-2 bags of newborn size (unless the baby is a premie, they are in and out of that size in 2 weeks or less and the hospital normally sends you home with 2-3 bags). I swear by Pampers Swaddlers for the 1-2 size, but brand and type becomes a little less important as they get bigger. And don't forget the wipes - stock up on those by the hundreds for her - they work for everything.

For formula, get the coupons - get the take home bags - get all the freebies you can get. And get a Boppy pillow (or My Breast Friend pillow) if she might nurse...it makes everything so much easier if the baby is in the right place without any effort on mom's part...I wouldn't stock up on formula b/c so many babies have certain allergies/effects from certain formulas and you'd hate to spend tons of money on it to only have to donate it.

We have a Sam's Club membership, and that saved us a TON of money on both formula and diapers. In fact, for us, just the savings on formula and diapers more than paid for the membership in less than 2 months!

If she doesn't know what kind of diapers she wants (or what will work for her), they have disposable changing pads. Babies R Us has a generic brand, or (I think) Huggies has a name brand. These saved us SO MANY loads of laundry while we were figuring out what kinds of diapers would work best for our son. Babies R Us also has a generic version of the Dreft laundry detergent and stain remover. Both work just as well as name brand.

Honestly I found that Target's Up brand of diapers did just as well as Pampers and Luvs. Although I was not smart enough to figure that out or rather admit it until my second child. My only complaint is that they have large blue and green circle designs on them that can be shown through light colored clothing. But that is an entirely superficial issue.

I have noticed that a lot of baby shower hosts are now holding diaper raffles. The hosts lets the guests know that every package of diapers brought, in any size, will get them a ticket for drawing of a special prize. You can either let them know what the prize will be or let it be a surprise to encourage suspense. Most people will bring atleast one pack of diapers in addition to their regular gift.

We have WIC in MD it supplements formula, food, milk, etc for mothers of children under 5 and pregnant women who meet income requirements. If your state has such a program would she qualify? I only ask because unless a dr prescribes otherwise you must use the formula that they recommend and write the voucher for. If so you should stick with whatever formula they will be using through that since you should stick with the same formula throughout unless the child has issues with it and has try to other ones.

used all of these for diapers and formula when needed. I had really good luck with the Target brand diapers. I too used Pampers initially and then smartened up to the just as good brands :)

Don't shoot. I know you said "in case breastfeeding doesn't work" but I would say spending some money upfront to get her into a lactation class & supply her with the skills/foundation/support to breast feed is by far cheaper than formula will ever be. Yes, pumping can be expensive, but is she working? what kind of job does she have? breast pumps are now covered by insurance (if she has, not sure if she doesn't what the gov't programs cover). Just a thought.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try the Target brand diapers for her to see how they are. I don't know if she makes more than the WIC eligibility in our state, PA, but her mother did mention that to her. She does work in a very busy retail setting, so I don't know how hard breast pumping with be for her. I love the idea of the diaper raffle. We are filling out the baby shower invitations tonight. I will run that idea by her mother tonight. I will also scout out some freebies from the major companies that do that. Thanks again.

We have a Sam's Club membership, and that saved us a TON of money on both formula and diapers. In fact, for us, just the savings on formula and diapers more than paid for the membership in less than 2 months! If she doesn't know what kind of diapers she wants (or what will work for her), they have disposable changing pads. Babies R Us has a generic brand, or (I think) Huggies has a name brand. These saved us SO MANY loads of laundry while we were figuring out what kinds of diapers would work best for our son. Babies R Us also has a generic version of the Dreft laundry detergent and stain remover. Both work just as well as name brand.
SAMs has hands down the cheapest formula. I bought the brand they had there for all of my kids and it worked great.(my youngest was on special formula for 6 months or so, but he outgrew the issue and finished with SAMs) I prefer Huggies times a million for my kids. I have had 4, pampers didn't work for any of them at all. But they were not lean:) My diaper preference is :Huggies, Aldi brand(sz 3 and above) luvs and parents choice are tied and work fine. Walgreens used to have great diapers, haven't used them much for the last couple of kids. I never buy Pampers, they just don't work for my kids who wet so much, and I have tried them with all 4 kids. The absolute worst diapers are cvs. Hate them.

Instead of purchasing these items for her outright, could you get her a gift card to use as she sees fit?

This way she can buy different brands of diapers if the baby doesn't do well with one. She could also decide to use cloth on her own too.

Instead of purchasing formula, which could undermine her choice to breastfeed, find a local support group for her to attend. You could also help sign her up for a breastfeeding class.

I am not sure if she's signed up for WIC yet, or if she qualifies, but they have great breastfeeding support!

I'll second not buying too much formula. Second baby had lactose issues for 4-6 months before switching to regular formula. Continued to have lactose issues when sick for another six months.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Honestly I found that Target's Up brand of diapers did just as well as Pampers and Luvs. Although I was not smart enough to figure that out or rather admit it until my second child. My only complaint is that they have large blue and green circle designs on them that can be shown through light colored clothing. But that is an entirely superficial issue.

With nephews and now daughter have found pampers sensitive is great for the newborns. The blue line is very clear for new parents and the sensitive requires slightly more often changing so they aren't as likely to get rashes.

Slightly off topic: If no one has shared with her yet, tell her to bring some olive oil in her diaper / hospital bag. The initial excrement from her baby is extremely sticky. Putting a little olive oil on the bum when putting on new diapers will make that so much easier!

I have noticed that a lot of baby shower hosts are now holding diaper raffles. The hosts lets the guests know that every package of diapers brought, in any size, will get them a ticket for drawing of a special prize. You can either let them know what the prize will be or let it be a surprise to encourage suspense. Most people will bring atleast one pack of diapers in addition to their regular gift.

We did this for my shower and was great. Even the brands that I got and didn't use I was able to return to Target for credit.

Don't shoot. I know you said "in case breastfeeding doesn't work" but I would say spending some money upfront to get her into a lactation class & supply her with the skills/foundation/support to breast feed is by far cheaper than formula will ever be. Yes, pumping can be expensive, but is she working? what kind of job does she have? breast pumps are now covered by insurance (if she has, not sure if she doesn't what the gov't programs cover). Just a thought.

100% agree. BTW - The Fair Labor Standards Act states "require an employer to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express milk. The employer is not required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time for any work time spent for such purpose. The employer must also provide a place,other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk. If these requirements impose undue hardship, an employer that employs fewer than 50 employees is not subject to these requirements. The federal requirements shall not preempt a state law that provides greater protections to employees." I know WA has specifics and greater protections. Hope that helps.

Make sure she is doing the baby move counts now too!

I bought the BJ's brand of diapers for my DGS back a few years ago. My DDIL found these worked the best and lucky for me, cost quite a bit less than the Pampers he was wearing.

Without going into detail, my grandson came to live with me suddenly at 1 month old. We went with Luvs and Gerber Goodstart Gentle (this was Carnation brand when his father was little).

These worked/work well.

The formula has 3oz bottles that we could find at target and toys r us, and when older, walmart carries the 8oz ready to feed containers.

We found Luvs and Goodstart to be a great combination between price and quality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter