Diaper Cake

I love that cake! You did a good job! And your DD is adorable too! :cutie:

that's so cute!! I can't believe that's your first one. It looks like you are making them all the time! Great job!

put a little chochalte frosting on in, and I would eat it :laughing:

I was really interested to see how you baked/decorated a cake to look like a diaper....so this was a surprise. But great job. My middle sister received something similar, but done with towels or washclothes for a wedding shower.

Ok, I hope I don't bore anyone.. but I said I would post the pics from the cake I got for DD.
I got it in the mail from my DU and DA, so I pulled it out of the box and took a picture.
100_4900a.jpg

Here I was starting to unroll it.
100_4920a.jpg

You can see the layers of clothes, bibs, blankets, and washcloths that were wrapped in there!
100_4923a.jpg

All done, and having fun with the new accessories! :rotfl:
100_4969a.jpg

Can you give instructions on how to make these...?

I want to try to make one for a friend who is expecting. I don't have kids but I like to craft.

That is awesome! You did a great job. I got a diaper cake last week and could tell my friend put a lot of time and hard work into it. I spent about 45 minutes undoing the cake and unfolding about 100 new born diapers. I think it's a great gift to get for a baby shower.

Love it!! Did you use disposables??? Directions please!

How cute! I have never heard of one of those!

(I have to admit here that I first thought "diaper cake" might just be a euphemism for something IN a diaper!! :lmao: Because my son has made plenty of those!)

1st OP - GREAT job!!! I love to give these as a gift because it is almost always something nobody has seen before so it is a unique gift but it is also sooo practical. I make mine usually 2 layes = 1 Jumbo size package of diapers. As for directions:
* diapers - newborn or size 1 work well. I use disposables but I have seen 1 with cloth.
* A large platter on which to build the cake
* Approximately 70 feet of narrow ribbon for tying the rolled diapers (1 ft. per diaper), and tying together the tiers. (I use a small piece of scotch tape to secure rolled diapers)
* Approximately 8 feet of 1" wide ribbon for finishing the tiers.
* Adhesive tape.
* Assorted baby necessities such as pacifiers, teething rings, combs, brushes, rattles, bibs, etc. - this can vary depending on how you want to "decorate" your cake.

This next step is the most time consuming portion of this project.
Cut 48 feet of the narrow ribbon into one-foot lengths.
Decide whether you want the printed decoration on the diaper to show on the cake. If you do, roll each diaper from the fold outwards, keeping the decoration on the outside. If not, roll with the decoration on the inside.
Tie each rolled diaper with a length of narrow ribbon (I use a small piece of scotch tape - quicker & easier IMO

Once you have all diapers rolled, arrange them into circle tiers according to how big of a tier you need - bottom will have more diapers than 2nd or 3rd tier - once you have amount of diapers in a circle shape you tie/bind them together by circling the whole tier with a length of ribbon. To stack tiers it is recommended to use the adhesive tape and stick the 2 layers together. If you are using as a centerpiece and it is not being moved around you can just stack, you will not need to secure. I usually use white ribbon so you can't really see it once finished and tie 2 tiers together.

Last step is to decorate the "cake" - depending on boy or girl depends on how I decorate mine.
Girls - hair accessories make great "flowers" & ribbons.
Boys - You have to be a little more creative to not make the items girly
and there are alot of unisex items that you could do this w/o knowing the gender of the baby - pacifiers, rattles, teethers, small items like diaper cream, tylenol, etc. A lot of the times the $1 store will have some name brand items in the baby aisle that work well on the cakes for decorations as well as the sample section of CVS, target, walmart, etc. = small sizes each item around $1. I also learned how to make a "boo-boo bunny" to put on top & sock flowers with the lacy little girls socks or using the boys plain white socks.

The nice thing with a diaper cake is it can be inexpensive or you can really go all out and spend quite a bit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter