Dialysis and DAS

MycatlovesEeyore

Two WDW fanatics are now a family of 4 with a litt
We are arriving July 9-17. My husband is back on dialysis after a 17 year transplant. We have rented a scooter and are aware of most of the ride queue accesses. I am wondering if he needs the DAS. Up until March the issues we mobility but now he can only have 48 ounces of fluid a day and I am worried about long lines in the sun. He does not ride some of the mountains but does enjoy BTRR. I want him to get his proper dose of magic while we are there....are there any rides you can think of in any park that we might need the DAS? It is not just about mobility now.

Send pixie dust for a new transplant!!

I don't tolerate heat very well. I bring an umbrella for portable shade. The canopy on the scooter never quite works for me. The main problem would be extended waits in the heat. I would explain this to the DAS CM and get the card(now on MB). I'm sure you know about keeping cool with spritzer fans and planning your day in the cooler hours so he doesn't dehydrate. My DH was a living related donor for his sister. I pray that a new kidney comes through.

I use a das for a number of problems and when I first went I told then that I do not tolerate the het and needed to wait in the shade they told me that most rides have shade after I told her my other issues I was given a DAS card, for the most part rides are in the shade there are a few that are not I would plane on bringing an unbrella for shade also gains and the cooling towels help a lot. I would also not go for a DAS first thing try it with out and that way you can say that you have tried the regular lines and this is what is not working for you instead of just saying this is what our problem is and this is what we think will be our problem

You/he will need to explain the needs or concerns he has related to his condition and waiting in the regular queues.

Most lines are shaded, so the places people forget about that you need to plan for are just the moving around going from place to place.
There is a WDW DAS information thread stuck near the top of this board - don't bother reading anything other than the first post.the thread was started before DAS began and was closed a long time ago. Only the first post has up yo date info.

And, don't forget about scheduling your 3 Fastpass attractions. Many people find that with those, they don't even need or seldom need DAS.

Thanks for the replies. He has used a scooter last several trips and never needed a DAS but I am just worried about the heat. Going to do the umbrella trick...great idea!! We gave FP + booked and he is taking treatment at 2:30 pm. Perfect thing for the heat of the day and a built in midday nap! Must stay positive!!

I did WDW 3 times while doing dialysis and didn't have an issue with waiting in lines. As has been noted, most of the rides are covered so you are out of the direct sun. I will admit that we were not there in July and that might make a difference for you. If exerting in the heat might be an issue, you might take a look at using an ECV. It will keep him from losing as much moisture through exertion and sweating. Have a great time!

Going from attraction to attraction particularly in EPCOT there is not a lot of shade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter