Diabetics at Disney World- Insulin Shots and the Security Guards

DisneyJana

Earning My Ears
I am a new insulin dependent diabetic.. Have any of you taken shots and insulin into the parks.... I need a shot a few hours before meal time...
I was wondering if I could draw up the shots and just carry them into the park with me? Would that be an issue at the security gate??

You might want to post this on the Dsabilities board; there are frequently threads there about taking insulin, syringes, your glucometer, etc. on planes and into the parks.

I'm an insulin dependent diabetic too. IMO, you should just take your vials of insulin and syringes with you, and not pre-draw. You can get a cryopack thing to put in a small bag or backpack to keep your insulin cold. The first aid stations at the park also will refrigerate your insulin for you, but it can be a hassle to go back to the station to draw it up if you're on the other side of the park.

Since you're newly diagnosed, you should plan on testing your blood sugar a few more times a day while you're at Disney; all of that walking can make your levels go lower (conversely, eating at the parks, away from your regular routine/schedule can make it go higher). You may need to adjust your insulin amounts according to what your blood sugar reading is.

There's no problem at all when they check you go through the bag check area at WDW. They're looking for weapons and contraband; they see medications all the time, and they'll wave you right through. If you're flying, pack your insulin and supplies in your carry on; security there will not make an issue out of your syringes as long as you have the insulin vials too.

I'm going to move this over to the DisABILITIES Forum. I think that someone there will be able to help you. :)

I am an insulin dependant diabetic. Even though I wear an insulin pump, I always bring an opened bottle of insulin and syringes in the park with me in case I have a problem with the pump. I have NEVER had a problem with secuirty. If I was you I would bring in the insulin bottle instead of filled syringes, that way there is no question about what is in the syringes. I also carry my insulin in a FRIO cool pack so I do not have to worry about the heat affecting the insulin. You will not have any problems getting through security. Just remember to keep checking your blood sugar, you will get quite a bit of excerise walking at Disney!

Before I switched to a pen for my Lantus, I used to pre-draw my shot, re-cap the needle, wrap it in a paper towel and put it in an eyeglass case. No one ever even asked me to open it. Now I take my Byetta pen and a supply of needles with me. I usually leave the Lantus in the room except when I am going to be out really late. When it is hot I use a Frio pack to keep them cool - no refrigeration is needed for the in use pens.

I do find that I test more at WDW just because I am doing so much more walking. And the heat also seems to make me go low, maybe because it really makes me feel like not eating. I do much better in the cooler months.

I carry my pens in Coach wristlets when the weather is cool enough that I don't worry about the Byetta and/or Lantus getting too warm. The wristlets are inside my small backpack, along with my glucometer. My family kept count the last two trips and in about 20 trips through security, only one guard even asked me to open any of the cases. And that was in December. We arrived at the Studios in a downpour. There were tornado warnings out and the rain was falling so hard it hurt your skin. But by the time we wanted to turn back, the bus had already left and the rain was blowing sideways into the bus stop.

So we headed for the gate. The security tables were vacant. The guards had moved up to the shelter near the ticket turnstiles. There was no flat surface to put my bag on. So of course the guard wanted the two wristlets opened for inspection. And the the glucometer case. That was the only time in two trips that I was asked to open the glucometer! After I dropped it on the ground, the guard was very apologetic.

So be prepared for varying degrees of searching by the guards. But even when they do want things opened up, as soon as they verify it is medical equipment, they'll let you in with no problems.

In all my visits I have NEVER had issues with security and needles -
Epi- Pens, insulin etc..
I have had to open a meter in a black bag ONE time only
you should have no problems-
I also love my frio pack!!

You can bring in any medical supplies you need.

You might have to open up your diabetic testing kit (meter, etc) if you carry it in the little black bag they come in....as most people do.

I carry all of the diabetic supplies in a double sided bag that is clear on both sides and I love the thing: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0915 It is the Tom Bihn "quarter packing cube" in case the link is odd. We have a TON of stuff in this bag (test kit, extra strips, extra lancing device, glucose gel, tabs, cheese/cracker snack, apple juice box, two glucagons, two epi-pens, syringes, stuff to do an extra set change on his pump). I like that it is double-sided so you can keep all you X on one side and all your Y on the other. I know it is pricey but I've got a few Tom Bihn bags and they wear like iron. I've had this bag for about 3 years and carry it every day and it looks new.

If I am carrying insulin in the Frio I can put it in there or keep it separate. You don't want to put a Frio bag where it can't "breathe" (like in a ziploc) cause it is the evaporation that keeps it cool. I don't generally carry insulin to the parks though as he pumps.

My cousin and his family are going to Disney in Sept and their son has diabetes. Anyway they were wondering if at the hotels if they would be able to freeze gel packs for them? They got a fridge last time but it didn't have a freezer so they had to always come back to the hotel for the shots. Or if anybody has any other recommendations would be appreciated.

My cousin and his family are going to Disney in Sept and their son has diabetes. Anyway they were wondering if at the hotels if they would be able to freeze gel packs for them? They got a fridge last time but it didn't have a freezer so they had to always come back to the hotel for the shots. Or if anybody has any other recommendations would be appreciated.

The Frio packs work well. First Aid stations in the park will hold the insulin for you if you want...no need to go back to the room.

Selket, thanks for posting about that bag! I've been looking around on the internet for a good bag to keep diabetes supplies for my DD when we travel, and that looks like a great option.

Just let the hotel staff know what you need, and they should take care of you. I will usually tell the person checking me in that I need access to a freezer and why. I have had everything from a fridge with a freezer brought to the room (no charge) to unlimited access to a specific freezer in the kitchen area. Usually, when they realize that you are asking due to a significant issue such as diabetes, it has been my experience that the staff has been extremely sensitive and helpful. Also, Frio packs are awesome for just this kind of thing. You should check them out.

Happy travels! :thumbsup2

You do not need frozen gel packs. Once you have started to use a vial of insulin (or a pen) you can safely keep it atg temperatures into the low 70's. If you check www.coolerconcept.com you will see information about Frio Cold Packs. These will keep the interior at a low temperature up to 45 hours in 100 degrees and they are recharged just by soaking for a few minutes in water. I have used one for years.

And also if he is on fixed dosage you do not need to carry the vials; just put the correct amounts in the syringe and put the cap back on the syringe before putting it in the Frio Pack and slip in an alcohol swab and you are ready to go.

We used frio's the last time we were in Disney - worked great for keeping our open vial of novolog and lantus at a comfortable temperature (not overheating.)
We carried the syringes and evyerhting else in our regular testing kit.

Security rarely even opened the bag to look (the bag was inside a larger backpack) and they opened the backpack and rarely opened the diabetes bag. If they did, I would point to my son and say "he has diabetes" and they'd just take a quick peek and send us on our way.

I think you'd get less questions if you had the insulin in vials with you - and meter and glucose supply. Just pre-filled syringes with nothing else might give them reason to question you more.

. Once you have started to use a vial of insulin (or a pen) you can safely keep it atg temperatures into the low 70's. If you check www.coolerconcept.com you will see information about Frio Cold Packs. These will keep the interior at a low temperature up to 45 hours in 100 degrees and they are recharged just by soaking for a few minutes in water. I have used one for years.

This is all correct. I just want to make sure that people know if they need to keep their *unopened* bottles of insulin refrigerator cold that the Frio won't do that. We travel with unopened lantus (for emergencies) and that has to go in with ice or frozen gel packs. I've just used ice in ziplocs because it is easy to replenish (like when flying). You can't put the insulin bottle right on the ice though - I have it in a plastic container (like one of those disposable Ziploc/Glad ones) and put that in with the ice.

If your insulin is opened - it does not need to be kept that cold....just cool enough not to go bad. The Frio is perfect for that.

DH uses the Omnipod pump, so we don't need to bring insulin into the parks. We just bring some test strips and a lancing device.

When we travel he keeps all his supplies in a LLBean insulated lunch box like this:
170584_3200_41
170584_0_44

The main compartment fits extra bottles of insulin, syringes in case we have a pump malfunction, extra pods, sugar packets, and an extra meter. The little pocket on the top holds our copy of the Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter book that we got at the Joslin Diabetes Center.
51vdnWActzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

We've never had a problem entering the parks with supplies (even before DH was on the pump) and were only stopped by airport security once. They asked what the syringes were for and wanted proof that DH was a diabetic. DH didn't have any sort of proof on him (actually he did, I put a copy of his scripts in the lunch box, but DH didn't know) so the security just let him go.

PS. Funny story, when we first got the pump in the mail we had a great time going through all the information and checking out the technology. One of the things that came in the box was a little business card that is meant to be carried in your wallet. It said "I am not drunk, I am a diabetic." This amused us to no end.... thought about trying to sell it to silly frat boys! :rotfl2:

PS. Funny story, when we first got the pump in the mail we had a great time going through all the information and checking out the technology. One of the things that came in the box was a little business card that is meant to be carried in your wallet. It said "I am not drunk, I am a diabetic." This amused us to no end.... thought about trying to sell it to silly frat boys! :rotfl2:

I can just see a little kid with that card too - I wonder if they put it in with everyone's pump? LOL! I guess at least if you're a 7 yr. old no one automatically assumes you are drunk if you're acting low....

(Did you hear this actually happened to Mr. Universe a few years back? Maybe there is a new Mr. U. every year but that one had type 1 and was in a movie theater, went low and the management thought he was drunk and called the police. He became combative with the police and was arrested - he didn't remember any of it! Took awhile for them to figure out he was diabetic and give him treatment - they eventually dropped the charges I think.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter