Diabetic Tips

eyesing4u

DVC Member
Are there any insulin dependent diabetics out there who can give me some tips? I am new to the insulin and was wondering what to do for shore excursions and injecting at meals and such. Any help would be appreciated!

Do you have a pen or are you using syringes
Pens are easy to transport I throw it in my purse or bag or fanny pack and go on my way. I used to be shy at taking my insulin in public but with time that passed. I used to just go to the restroom at restaurants and take it now im discreet enough to do it at the table.

If you are just on syringes i highly suggest going to the Frio Site and get a pack as well as Syringe holders. The Syringe holders allow you to prefil you insulin in a pen type holder. Then Keep the holders in a frio pack and carry with you where ever you go.

I always use a frio pack to keep my insulin cool while travelling have had it for 6 years and it works great. Also where every you go hotel wdw cruise ask for a sharps container to safely dispose of needles.

Hope this helps

Do you have a pen or are you using syringes
Pens are easy to transport I throw it in my purse or bag or fanny pack and go on my way. I used to be shy at taking my insulin in public but with time that passed. I used to just go to the restroom at restaurants and take it now im discreet enough to do it at the table.

If you are just on syringes i highly suggest going to the Frio Site and get a pack as well as Syringe holders. The Syringe holders allow you to prefil you insulin in a pen type holder. Then Keep the holders in a frio pack and carry with you where ever you go.

I always use a frio pack to keep my insulin cool while travelling have had it for 6 years and it works great. Also where every you go hotel wdw cruise ask for a sharps container to safely dispose of needles.

Hope this helps

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I COULD not have put this better! And the Frio packs are awesome. Make sure to remember your meter as well! Happy sailing!

Talk to your doctor about getting an insulin pump. It is so much easier to control :thumbsup2 You don't have to worry about injection times and when the insulin will react and where you might be or what you are doing when it does.

The insulin pump uses only fast acting insulin and gives a tiny amount all day long. Then when you want to eat something you just program it to give you a small burst of insulin to combat the. Excursions and injection times will not matter. You can eat when you want and do what you want :)

My dd, who is now 10 yrs has been diabetic since she was an infant. We have traveled quite a bit with her. Usually to Disney World and last year on a NCL cruise. I have yet to have a problem. My daughter is on the insulin pump, so we have to carry a lot of supplies. I put all supplies in a carry on bag, along with insulin in a small cooler. Make sure you do not put the ice pack directly on the insulin and alway carry it in the prescription box, so they (TSA) can see the prescription. Twice, out of Westchester County airport, they tested the pump for "explosives" which now is standard because of 9/11. Other times she has walked right through, no problem. TSA noticed the tubing the other two times and took her aside (very nicely) They were very respectful to me and my daughter. Since I am in Law Enforcement myself, I understand the procedures. You can request a sharpe box, which I did on NCL and at Disney World. You can speak to chefs and I believe fill out a medical form that you send to DCL. I always have juice of glucose tabs available, in case of a low. Good luck and have a great cruise!

Insulin can be stored at room temperature for 28 days after being taken out of the refrigerator. My DD has Type 1 diabetes. We just went on her first cruise last month since her diagnosis. I took 2 vials of insulin with me and put them in the stateroom cooler. For excursions, we put her insulin in a FRIO Pack to keep it cool. The FRIO pack works by evaporation which keeps the insulin at room temperature.

My daughter uses a pump so we didn't use a sharps container, but you can also ask your stateroom attendant for one for your used syringes.

Also, DCL will not provide any carb counts for your meals. I highly recommend the Calorie King book to take with you. We took ours to every meal and I wrote down everything my DD ate. By the time the week was over, I had each thing she ate memorized because she would eat the same things over and over. You will have to guess a lot, but if you check your BG often you should be able to manage your BGs pretty well.

Most of all, relax and have a great cruise.

I also saw sharps containers in some bathrooms on the ship, in case you prefer to administer injections in the privacy of a stall or are looking for a convenient disposal place when out and about. Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much for the great tips! I am on two different pens. Lantus at night and Novolog short acting at each meal. I don't need to worry about refrigeration. I'm just a little self conscious about injecting at the table. We have a shore excursion in St. Thomas and I'm thinking that I will get one of those waterproof fanny packs for the beach portion. I'm disappointed that Disney will not give out nutritional info, but I am getting pretty good at guessing the carbs. I am glad to hear that they will provide sharps containers. I would hate to pack my coffee can. Lol!

DH has been type 1 diabetic for almost 40 years. He is always anxious when we travel, and we travel alot. He has the insulin pens. His work is way too physical for a pump. We have the case that his pens are in labeled with his name and cell phone number, just in case. I also suggest having a glucagon injection with you. This is used in cases of severe low blood sugars, when a person can not safely take any glucose orally. It is simple to use and works very quickly. On a side note all of the parks at Disney World have a first aid station that will store your insulin in a fridge for you. We have used this several times so he has access to his insulin but does not have to worry about hauling it around.

Thanks so much for the great tips! I am on two different pens. Lantus at night and Novolog short acting at each meal. I don't need to worry about refrigeration. I'm just a little self conscious about injecting at the table. We have a shore excursion in St. Thomas and I'm thinking that I will get one of those waterproof fanny packs for the beach portion. I'm disappointed that Disney will not give out nutritional info, but I am getting pretty good at guessing the carbs. I am glad to hear that they will provide sharps containers. I would hate to pack my coffee can. Lol!

If you're using pens, then you're just throwing away the pen needles. We have used empty pill bottles to discard our pen tips. They are small to carry when you are out and about.

And I highly recommend getting the FRIO Pack to put your pen in when you out and about. The Caribbean can get warm and you don't want your pen to get overheated.

We just got of the Magic on Saturday and my mother had no problems. She did not think that the stateroom box was cool enough for her insulin so I asked our attendent. He said that some rooms have a fridge and others have a cooler. He brought a bucket of ice every evening which satisfied my mother.

At dinner, the first few nights she ate the no-sugar added deserts but later tried the regular deserts but did not each the entire portion. She even had an ice cream cone on the last sea day.

She had a great trip and her favorite part was going snorkeling ay age 64

All great tips! I have one additional tip ...

We just sailed on Princess. My DH's glucoses were waaay too high the first 3 days. Sure, he was eating more than 'normal' but the numbers were out of wack for even that ....

THEN the light bulb went on ...

DH drinks a lot of diet coke. A LOT. At dinner the 3rd night his glass of diet coke was refilled from a pitcher of cola at the waiters station. the SAME pitcher I had noticed was used to refill our tablemates glasses who drank regular coke. I immediately said something to DH AND the waiter. oooh no, I was told I was mistaken. But DH stopped drinking any diet coke unless he saw for himself the cola coming out from the diet coke labeled spot.

He had NO issues with high glucose numbers for the remaining 11 nights of that cruise. Lesson learned.

phred52 said:
All great tips! I have one additional tip ...

We just sailed on Princess. My DH's glucoses were waaay too high the first 3 days. Sure, he was eating more than 'normal' but the numbers were out of wack for even that ....

THEN the light bulb went on ...

DH drinks a lot of diet coke. A LOT. At dinner the 3rd night his glass of diet coke was refilled from a pitcher of cola at the waiters station. the SAME pitcher I had noticed was used to refill our tablemates glasses who drank regular coke. I immediately said something to DH AND the waiter. oooh no, I was told I was mistaken. But DH stopped drinking any diet coke unless he saw for himself the cola coming out from the diet coke labeled spot.

He had NO issues with high glucose numbers for the remaining 11 nights of that cruise. Lesson learned.

I drink a lot of diet Coke as well. Good to know. I can usually tell the difference but I think I may stick to water to be on the safe side.

I drink a lot of diet Coke as well. Good to know. I can usually tell the difference but I think I may stick to water to be on the safe side.

My DD didn't drink Diet Coke while on board, however, you can get all of the Diet Coke you want at self serve up top. I don't remember servers using pitchers to refill drinks at the tables, except for water. They bring new drinks for refills. DCL servers are wonderful at remembering your drink preferences at meals. You can even let them know that you are diabetic and why you have to have diet drinks as compared to regular.

disneyfaninaz said:
My DD didn't drink Diet Coke while on board, however, you can get all of the Diet Coke you want at self serve up top. I don't remember servers using pitchers to refill drinks at the tables, except for water. They bring new drinks for refills. DCL servers are wonderful at remembering your drink preferences at meals. You can even let them know that you are diabetic and why you have to have diet drinks as compared to regular.

Yes. Be sure and tell your server you are diabetic. When I did, it changed everything: no problems ordering broccoli instead of potatoes; no pushing high carb desserts (btw - most of their no sugar added desserts are higher in carbs than their regular ones); no problems making sure I got diet drinks, although I go for Iced Tea, so I can control the sweetener myself. I keep the carbs down in the main course so I can better afford the desserts. BTW - the trios are smaller portions in total than the regular desserts, although they do taste a bit different to me.

My doctor reminded me to enjoy the cruise and don't obsess over being diabetic, just don't go hog wild. Enjoy!

Any tips for pregnant cruisers with gestational diabetes? My wife will be about 18 weeks along, and by this time last pregnancy she was on nighttime insulin and the food intake was watched like crazy. I'm worried that she won't be able to enjoy the food, or the cruise...she's haunted by the self-serve ice-cream station and having to stay away from it.

The self serve isn't that good, in my opinion.

My advice is to pace herself. 3 bites of an exceptional dessert is better than none at all. I do not waste carbs on anything that isn't wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter