Diabetes Type 2 - please help.

cuterlt

<font color=green>DH will do the laundry...when no
I was diagnosed yesterday. I'm overwhelmed. Is there a good message board that will help answer my questions? I spent about 2 hours with the doctor and her assistants yesterday but I think I am in shock. Thank you.

I don't have any web sites, but wanted to offer support. The good news is that this is a reversible disease!! Time to muster srength, and go after it. I will be a win-win-win!

My husband's diabetic, and the best thing he's done for himself was taking the nutritional classes. I went with him. He had a personal appointment with a nutrition counselor, who helped him develop a personal plan for his diet. It looks something like this:

7 am -- breakfast, 3 carb units
10 am -- snack, 1 carb unit
noon -- llunch, 4 carb units
3 pm -- snack, 1 carb unit
7 pm -- dinner, 3 carb units
bedtime -- snack, 1 carb unit

His allowable carb units were based upon his age, weight, severity of his diabetes, and his schedule. He doesn't always follow it perfectly, but he knows exactly what he should do.

After his time with the counselor, he had a group lesson on choosing carbs carefully. In the class, we saw that other people were allowed more or fewer carb units, other people had earlier or later timeframes, but the common thread was that they all need to pay attention to the carbs that they eat. If they really, really want a piece of chocolate cake, they can still have it: But they can't have a plate of spaghetti and then a big slice. If they want to save their carbs for the cake, they have to have a salad for their meal, then a small slice of the cake. They can still have a hamburger for lunch, but they should have carrots on the side instead of french fries. A lot of it is twisting what you do now into something diabetic friendly; for example, I used to serve everyone a big plate of spaghetti -- now I serve a medium plate of spaghetti with a big side of broccoli; yes, salad would be the first choice, but he won't eat salad. The #1 thing that sends his sugar levels through the roof is potatoes in any form. He was unwilling to drink diet soft drinks (sees that as a girly thing), so he gave them up altogether.

Please look for a similar class! It was invaluable to him, and now most of the time his blood sugar is within normal limits. When it isn't, it's because he's cheated somewhere.

Since he started following this diabetic diet and exercising, he's lost quite a bit of weight. He looks great and is wearing a 6" smaller waist size. I hadn't really realized that so much weight had snuck up on him over the years.

He's doing fine, and you will too! Just don't expect to do it all perfectly the first week. You're doing the right thing by searching out information. Give yourself a while to integrate this into your life.

While it is shocking and disheartening news to receive, it is a very manageable chronic illness and not the worst thing in the world. You have the right idea to become as educated about it as possible, and dedication to get on the right track toward good health.
Our local hospital had an excellent nutrition and diabetes education program. We checked out every book from our library, and read each with a grain of salt.We told everyone about our diagnosis, and discovered many people who could provide excellent info from their experience.
With regards to boards, the DisAbilities boards here have great info about diabetes as it relates to a WDW vacation. Check it out!

I find the Dlife website to be very helpful. And as others have said, it does feel very overwhelming at first but you quickly learn that you can alter a lot of your diet pretty easily without even noticing it for the most part, and being diabetic does *not* mean you can never again eat anything you love. It's all about balance, and the big picture.

Best of luck to you!!

-gina-

Get your hands on the documentary "Forks Over Knives"- you can completely reverse your diagnosis completely. I work in Diabetes prevention and education, and I strongly believe in lifestyle changes rather than medicine, when possible.

Talk to your insurance company to find out what sorts of classes and dietician visits are included.

Get an endocrinologist. Even if your GP says it's not necessary. Diabetes has to do with hormones, and hormones are too important and intricate to leave to a GP. Get an endocrinologist.

Expect to be scared of food for awhile. If you aren't the one that cooks in the family, expect serious GUILT from the person who prepares the food. Even though you are the one with the scary diagnosis, that person is going through their own stuff too, so don't feel weird about them having their own "stuff" to deal with. (can you tell DH is the one that got the diagnosis and I was the one that makes the food? thank goodness we can communicate!)

Many many people change it around. DH started taking metformin, and started having embarrassing side effects that he couldn't live with immediately. The intended effects of that drug, however, take a few weeks to get going (according to diagnosing doctor, GP, and endocrinologist), so when he was seeing big and immediate blood sugar changes just with diet changes, he stopped taking the drug b/c he knew it wasn't doing the good stuff yet, but it was doing negative stuff.

He has found the things he can and cannot eat, and that has changed it. From a diagnosis-day of nearing 500 to a norm of around 90....no drugs.

For DH, cane sugar is nowhere near as bad as corn-based sugars. He can watch his blood sugar spike and plummet if he has corn-based sugars, that's if he is in the mindset to look, which he normally isn't; he usually picks a fight with me at the spike, then passes out as it plummets. HE has found that *cinnamon* is like a magic bullet. I was using cinnamon in EVERYTHING once we realized that (thanks to a disneyland pumpkin muffin recipe of all things). He took cinnamon pills for awhile, too.

Find the things you can and cannot handle. Exercise! It's AMAZING the blood sugar changes exercise can bring about.

And find that endocrinologist.

I was diagnosed yesterday. I'm overwhelmed. Is there a good message board that will help answer my questions? I spent about 2 hours with the doctor and her assistants yesterday but I think I am in shock. Thank you.

Go to www.diabetes.org That's the website for the American Diabetes Association and has tons of info and advice!

Just an FYI, if you're a pasta lover, try Dreamfields Pasta --- made with Diabetics in mind, has barely any digestible carbs. I know when I eat it, my reading (2 hours later) is never, ever high. There is also "Carb Style" bread (by Pepperidge Farm I think?). Breyers has low carb ice cream, too.... The best fruits for diabetics are apricots and cherries --- they don't blast sugar into your body like other fruits do.

My father was diagnosised about 6 months ago. He went on the Atkin's diet and he has not needed to use any medication. This worked for him because he has never been a "sweets" person. His problem was bread, pasta and other carbs.

If you really crave sweets, I've also heard the Visalus, Body By Vi, diet works for diabetics, but I can not confirm that. You could do some research on that through Google. I'm on that diet right now just to loose weight and the shakes are great, they satisfy my sweet tooth. If you decide to this, you can buy the shake mix on amazon. I mix mine with unsweetened almond milk.

I agree that taking a nutritional class should be your first step. But, if you have to cook for a non-diabetic family, it can be frustrating to find recipes and make your family stick to your diet. So just giving you some other options you can look into. Good Luck and I really hope you are able to get it under control. :wizard:

After I was diagnosed with type 2 my doctor prescribed sessions with a certified diabetes educator and nutritionist. My insurance paid for the sessions. The nutritionist talked with me about what I liked to eat and prepared daily menus that included those items. I learned more about the use of a glucose meter to determine how various foods affect me, as everyone's metabolism is different.

I was given sample issues of Diabetes Forecast, the ADA magazine, and Diabetes Self-Management. I enjoy reading these in hard copy and online.

My local library had a lot of books that did not applied more to Type 1 diabetics or did not have the latest advice.

My favorite cookbook is Month of Meals, published by the ADA. What Do I Eat Now? is another good beginning book.

The American Diabetes Assoc has an education program. It's worth taking even if your insurance doesn't pay for it. The carb unit mentioned before is equal to 15 carbohydrates. You can make a big difference by cutting out most of the refined sugar in your diet and increasing excersize and water consumption. During my class, we did some experimenting with carbs. Once we ate a full sized candy bar of our choice and tested 2 hours later. Most people's glucose level wasn't very elevated. Later we did the same experiment and followed by taking a walk and drinking at least 2 8 oz glasses of water then testing the same 2 hours later. It's been a few years but I remember that everyone's glucose numbers were actually lower than they were prior to eating the candy bar. They told us it was ok to 'treat' ourselves twice a week, not every day. The carbs in most of our candy bars were around 30. At this point in my life, I try to keep my treats at around 15 carbs. I've found some delicious chocolate bars-72% cocoa-that measure 1.2oz and 16 carbs. I have two of those a week by breaking them into tiny pieces and eating about 12 bites. I also found these wonderful Ciao Bella sorbet bars, passion fruit YUM, and they're 16 carbs. I just ate one. I make sure I get a piece of fruit and 1/2 c. blueberries daily for other sweets-great fibre, excellent antioxident content and lots of other vitamins. I allow myself loads of veggies(potatoes, corn,beans,edamame, sweet potatoes and some others all have wonderful fibre and nutrition but need to be counted as carbs. Half cup of beans and 3oz of potatoe types equal 15carbs. Journal what you eat-weigh and measure it. If you want to lose some weight, Weight Watchers has an excellent program and they teach you to weigh and measure. You'll need a carb content list. That can be found on the internet. It's not a death sentence and many people can reverse the diagnosis with calm, rational, lifestyle changes that include excersize and lowered fat and carbohydrate meals. If you're already lean and mean with a great excersize habit, you may need meds from now on but I think there's room for improvement in everyone's life. Good luck, you're going to be fine. I switched doctors and now see an internist who also dabbles in endicrinology.
It sounds like your doctor is doing pretty well helping you. Ask her for that class and instruction information-get signed up. You'll feel so much better when you know what's going on.

I'm sorry for your diagnosis, but there is hope! My DH was diagnosed as Type II diabetic a few years ago. By coincidence, I decided to lose some weight at the same time, by following the South Beach plan (a very healthy, low-glycemic eating plan). As I am the cook in the house, he effectively followed it with me, very happily, as he loves veggies and home-cooked food, and although he only had about 10 lbs to lose, his doctor has been delighted with how well he has controlled the diabetes with diet. As a matter of fact, at his last checkup, his doctor said his numbers were so good, he would consider him cured if they are the same at the next checkup. It is very do-able, not drastic, and if you make the commitment, it is so worth it - you'll feel wonderful! Good luck to you.

Thank you all so much for your positive replies and suggestions. I am normally a very positive person (my boss calls me "pollyanna")...but this did surprise me. I am lucky enough to have a very supportive husband. We do the meal planning and shopping together, but he does the cooking. He has already picked up 3 recipe books from the library! I know I can beat this. And I really want off the meds. They make me sick! So that's a great incentive.
Thank you all!

Thank you all so much for your positive replies and suggestions. I am normally a very positive person (my boss calls me "pollyanna")...but this did surprise me. I am lucky enough to have a very supportive husband. We do the meal planning and shopping together, but he does the cooking. He has already picked up 3 recipe books from the library! I know I can beat this. And I really want off the meds. They make me sick! So that's a great incentive.
Thank you all!

So...you're on Metformin? You kind of need to ease into multiple pills AND make sure you're on the extended release kind. One of my friends took hers with dinner so the worst of feeling bad was at night, at home and she slept through it. She started the first week with two, added a third about 10 days later. Her plan was to add it after 4 or 5 days but she had to wait because she felt so bad on two. She actually had to take 4 but it was a couple of weeks until she could add the 4th pill. She lost loads of weight because she didn't feel llike eating. Not the way to lose weight. She finally called her doctor who told her to add exersize and cut back to 3. The next month, her A1C was under 7; it had been nearly 9.1. Make sure the cook books your husband is using are current. Diabetes management has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years.

I was diagnosed back in 2008 with Type 2 diabetes. I know you are probably overwhelmed with everything. I know I was. My suggestions along with others is to make sure you utilize all of the resources available. Find out from your doctor office or local hospital if they have any classes available. Also, dlife has a good website and american diabetic association has good information. I manage my diabetes with exercise 30 minutes per day, make sure you get enough sleep, eat meals less than 30 carbs, try to eat low glysemic index foods and have a snack between morning, lunch and about 1-2 hours before bed. I had to add a snack before bed because my blood sugar level would elevate before I woke in the morning.

I can't give you specific information because I don't know enough about you or how your diabetes is affecting you. I just wanted you to know that you will get to the point where this is not so overwhelming, so chin up. :hug:

When I was first diagnosed a lot of people were telling me to do this or try that. It turns out that some of the stuff they told me, like taking certain herbs, would have really messed up the effectiveness of some of my diabetes medicines. My only advice to you is to listen to what your doctor told you, and to check out the American Diabetes Association web site. That site is physician approved and it's a great way to start on your journey of diabetes education. It really helped me.

This is something that you can manage and manage well, so fear not! Take care and good luck. A whole new wonderful world is waiting out there for you and if you take it one step at a time, soon you will be well on your way and feeling better!

:flower3:

You have gotten some good suggestions and I agree 110% with the suggestion to take the class on eating. Some time spent with a professional dietitician is time well spent. It has helped me enormously.

The disease is not reversible as someone said. It is, however, controllable. It is not always easy but the consequences of not controlling it are even more difficult. I have neuropathy in my feet and some other diabetic issues that can't be remedied. Also remember that diabetics in general are more prone to heart disease, medical issues like carpal tunnel and cataracts, and the medications that you take to control your diabetes can cause weight gain. Metformin is the opposite, it can help to lose weight.

One thing I have learned is to not blame myself as the disease progresses. My body is making less and less insulin and the resistance is increasing. At first when a new drug would be added I had a great sense of failure. I have since gotten over that. I've been on insulin, Byetta, and unfortunately Actos - which caused my bladder cancer. When I am ill or when the cancer is growing, my blood sugars are ridiculous. I currently take Victoza, metformin and glipizide. The combination seems to be working for now.

Don't be afraid of testing your blood sugar. That really bothered me and I refused to do it for several years. When I went on insulin it became mandatory and I discovered it wasn't so bad after all. Like giving yourself injections. I was appalled when the doctor told me I should try the insulin but it turned out not to be a big deal. I great a great certified diabetes educator with getting me through that!

The Calorie King book (available on Amazon) is a great help to me in counting carbs. I also have a couple of free apps for my android phone that I record my readings in. That works better for me than writing them down. Glucool light and I cant remember the name of the other one!

I don't have any web sites, but wanted to offer support. The good news is that this is a reversible disease!! Time to muster srength, and go after it. I will be a win-win-win!

It's not a reversible disease. It's a controllable disease. I have it. I eat right and keep active and my blood glucose is mostly below 100. However I don't fool myself that I am cured. I have it under control. And I don't take medication.

If you carry the gene you have a chance of getting it. Fat or lean. Matter of fact they don't know what triggers it. People have the gene and never develop the disease.

OP, don't despair. Educate yourself. Forget about diabetic diets. You can eat just about anything. Just be sure you count carbs. When you get into carb counting here is an unknown. Fiber is important too. If you eat something that has 20 grams of carbohydrates and 5 grams of fiber the net carbohydrates will be 15. You subtract the fiber. Also 15 grams of carbohydrates equals 1 carb.

Also if you are overweight, losing weight will make it much easier to control it.

Just about everyone I know who had complications did not have it under control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter