Diabetes medication transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowMermaid

Earning My Ears
Hi! Not sure if this is the correct place, but I wanted to know if anyone has tips about traveling with diabetic injections that need refrigeration. I know that the hotel will be fine, but how to I travel with it for flying? I am working on researching with the TSA, but does anyone have any tips?

Hi! Not sure if this is the correct place, but I wanted to know if anyone has tips about traveling with diabetic injections that need refrigeration. I know that the hotel will be fine, but how to I travel with it for flying? I am working on researching with the TSA, but does anyone have any tips?
Frio brand cooling products are my go to for medication. It's not an ice pack, and activates by being run under cold water so there's no issue with thawing. You can "recharge" in a cup of cold water or a bathroom sink! Super easy, and they have lots of sizes to fit vials or pens, depending on what you need. I bought mine on Amazon.

TSA has a webpage about travel with special needs, including medications

This is what it says about ice/cold packs:
“Ice packs, freezer packs, gel packs, and other accessories may be presented at the screening checkpoint in a frozen or partially-frozen state to keep medically necessary items cool. All items, including supplies associated with medically necessary liquids such as IV bags, pumps, and syringes must be screened before they will be permitted into the secure area of the airport.”

That said, most diabetics use Frio packs to keep their insulin cool

I agree with others - are you sure it needs to be kept refrigerator level of cold? Most insulins can be left out for 30 days. I used to bring back up bottles of Lantus in case the pump failed that I needed to keep refrigerator cold and the cooler and ice packs can work for flying - you'd have to find a way to freeze them on the flight home or use ice. Don't put the insulin directly on them but in something like a small Tupperware container or they could get too cold. All the other insulin I kept room temp because we could use it within 30 days. If you're dealing with a very young child maybe not but generally it's possible. It's almost easier to plan to purchase insulin at a pharmacy down there rather than bring back-up insulin you have to keep refrigerator cold.

I would not trust the hotel fridge I froze my insulin more then once.

I agree with others - are you sure it needs to be kept refrigerator level of cold? Most insulins can be left out for 30 days. I used to bring back up bottles of Lantus in case the pump failed that I needed to keep refrigerator cold and the cooler and ice packs can work for flying - you'd have to find a way to freeze them on the flight home or use ice. Don't put the insulin directly on them but in something like a small Tupperware container or they could get too cold. All the other insulin I kept room temp because we could use it within 30 days. If you're dealing with a very young child maybe not but generally it's possible. It's almost easier to plan to purchase insulin at a pharmacy down there rather than bring back-up insulin you have to keep refrigerator cold.
To be fair- she may not be talking about insulin. There are other injectable medications used to treat diabetes besides insulin. But if it is insulin, this is good advice. Just wanted to mention it though~

To be fair- she may not be talking about insulin. There are other injectable medications used to treat diabetes besides insulin. But if it is insulin, this is good advice. Just wanted to mention it though~
Yes I'd actually meant to write that then ran out of time and sent it before I finished!

The frio is great but doesn't keep it fridge cold if that's needed. I never found it easy to get through the airport with his bottle of backup Lantus we traveled with in case of pump failure. Perhaps buying whatever it is down there is an option but I know my insurance makes that difficult as I have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed.:scared:

The frio is great but doesn't keep it fridge cold if that's needed.
As long as the med/pen/vial is fridge-cold when it's inserted into the FRIO, the FRIO should keep it at that temp. Especially for just a few hours during travel. DH has used them when we go camping, refreshing the insert with ice water every couple of days.

Yes I'd actually meant to write that then ran out of time and sent it before I finished!

The frio is great but doesn't keep it fridge cold if that's needed. I never found it easy to get through the airport with his bottle of backup Lantus we traveled with in case of pump failure. Perhaps buying whatever it is down there is an option but I know my insurance makes that difficult as I have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed.:scared:
Pump mfg offer an extra loaner pump to customers vacationing on a cruise, international and maybe Alaska and Hawaii. Either free or a nominal charge.

Most insulin, that you'll be using within a month, can be kept at room temperature.
Stop giving bad information and either answer the question that was asked or stay quiet. When travelling, keeping injectable medications in a reasonable temperature range requires some cooling.

For the OP: I keep my insulin and Ozempic in a Frio. I just returned from Atlanta where my bag sat in the car in 85 degree heat all day and the Frio kept it in a good range. If the medication truly needs to kept refrigerated, a thermos that you keep changing the ice in would be my recommendation.

Stop giving bad information and either answer the question that was asked or stay quiet. When travelling, keeping injectable medications in a reasonable temperature range requires some cooling.

For the OP: I keep my insulin and Ozempic in a Frio. I just returned from Atlanta where my bag sat in the car in 85 degree heat all day and the Frio kept it in a good range. If the medication truly needs to kept refrigerated, a thermos that you keep changing the ice in would be my recommendation.
I will continue to post ACCURATE info, and will apologize and correct the very few errors I post.

Many people don't realize most insulin being used can be kept at room temperature for a month.
I don't consider 85 degrees room temperature BUT as per the mfg Ozempic, after first use, can be kept at room temperature (59 -86 degrees) for up to 56 days.

I previously suggested an empty stainless steel water bottle. A 24 or 40 once bottle should work. Posters thought that was a horrible suggestion

Last edited:
The OP has received some viable suggestions for traveling with a medication.

I'm closing this now because it's turned to arguing about appropriate temps of an unknown medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter