Diabetes - Eating at WDW

Star Wars Guy

Jedi Master
I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and am now following a diet. I just called Disney Dining to see if there was anyway to get a hold of the nutritional information for the various foods at Disney, so that I could plan meals and track my intake accordingly. The CM told me that they didn't have that information, but also didn't know if the individual restaurants/counter service had that information for guests. You'd think this would be a common question, but I know most of the CMs on the phones are clueless as to what's available in the parks.

Does anyone here know or have compiled that information? I searched the net, including Calorie King (which has been a good source for most restaurant's nutritional information), but didn't find anything.

Sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with diabetes - type 2 right? My 4 yr old son is type 1 and we've been to WDW three times since he was diagnosed. We count carbs and give him insulin based on how many carbs he eats so carb counting is very important for us.

There is one website called Disney with Diabetes -a blog type - started by a DISboard member. You can find it here: http://disneywithdiabetes.blogspot.com/

As they note, Disney does not generally have the nutritional info for their meals. What helps us is getting a book like "The Doctor's Pocket Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate Counter" - by the folks at Calorieking.com. It is a portable book and very useful. I'll admit I'm so used to counting carbs now that I can fairly accurately guess at the carbs in anything he eats.

There are a few things at CS and TS locations that are sugar-free. If you have ADR's make sure to note the diabetes on your reservation. The chef can help you modify some of the dishes to make them lower carb if necessary. They can provide vegetables without sauces, etc. There are some places that sell sugar-free items - the ice cream carts in some places have a sugar-free strawberry bar that is low in carbs. They sell a sugar-free brownie in the bakery on Main Street in the MK. Sometimes sugar-free doesn't really mean "Low carb" but for those 2 items it does cut down on carbs.

You might also pay attention to the sweetener used in sugar-free items. Some folks are sensitive to the artificial sweetners. Personally I have a BIG problem if I eat too much malitol/sorbitol. It can cause quite terrible diarreha. NOT what you want to do on vacation! ;)

We do VERY well eating at disney and folks at the restaurants (sit-down) go the extra mile in trying to prepare something that you can eat. It will help you greatly to learn what is a portion size (like what a half cup of rice or pasta looks like, etc. or a half cup of ice cream) so that you can guess at the carbs in it. That comes with experience of course! Another thing that I would NOT want to do without is my Salter Nutritional Scale. This scale can tell you the carb count (and other nutr. info) in hundreds of foods. We use it many times a day. Here is a link to one like mine: http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1849160

You may find a better price elsewhere - but it is worth every penny! Good luck!

Yes, I'm type 2. Luckly I only have to take a pill once a day and test twice a day (no insulin shots!). Since I've been following my doctor's diet, I've really noticed a difference in my numbers and he feels that I'll have no trouble keeping it under control. But the way I've been able to do that is to really monitor what my intake is. I told him about my upcoming trip to WDW and he agreed that it would be difficult, but for me to do my best. I guess the best way for me to do this is to remember what I had each day and how they effect my numbers. All the walking I'll be doing will definately help too.

Thanks for the info, I'll check those out.

I use The Official Pocket Guide to Diabetic Exchanges by the American Diabetes Association. You can get it at your local book store for $5.95.

just remember to eat your snacks and meals ......I goofed a few weeks ago and ended up not knowing a thing for over a half hour until I got my meal into me.

I just figured out what the carb would be for that meal we would have at disney and add the veggies and protein in after. Like a burger has a big bun so that could be your carb total. I tried to eat only a hand ful of fries when I did have my burger. All the walking I did really took the bs to make it go lower. We had a good time in Disney and the diet was not really off to bad.
I tested twice a day and I think I maintained what my numbers should be. Have fun and remember to drink plenty and eat on time.....carry your glucose tablets with you and some peanut butter crackers too.

Sounds like you are doing a great job already with the diabetes. Type 2 runs in my family and I had gestational diabetes with my 1st pregnancy - which is rather like having type 2.

I've read that many type 2 folks find that all the walking does keep their blood sugar lower. I'm not sure how that goes with eating or whether you can go too low on your medication - something you might want to talk to the dr. about if there is any question! My son who is type 1 seemed to go both ways - high and low - with the exercise and the heat and of course eating foods that we had to do more guessing with! We usually do a good job keeping him in a good range but vacations are always a challenge.

I wanted to add that you can bring in some snacks in a small cooler (like a lunch size one). Many folks also like buying those powder mixes that go into bottled water and turn it some flavor (like lemonade or fruit punch) but have zero carbs.

Have a great trip!

My problem isn't going to low, as the lowest I've been since I started testing 2 weeks ago is around 180 and my average range has between 200 - 270 depending on what I eat that day. The only thing I'm taking for it is Actos once a day. I don't get the sick or weak feeling that those with lower bg get, but I just want to make sure I watch the sugars and carbs so I don't spike or run higher than normal. Since I'm a picky eater, I've been able to remember basic facts for most of what I'll be eating at Disney based on what I eat at home.

Are you testing on you arm or your finger? If it's your arm your level may be lower. If I test on my arm I'm 20 points higher then my finger.

Guesstimating portion sizes is how I did it, a few prepacked desserts have nutritional information, but you know to be cautious with those anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to see the number of fruit and veggie options available even at counter service/snack places. POFQ's food court let me take fruit as dessert with no problems, we were on the meal plan. We often got 3 CS meals to share amongst the 4 of us, and I'd get 2 with fries and 1 with carrots. Backlot Express at MGM has a sugar free vanilla pudding/strawberry dessert that is good.

I take Actos as well as Glucophage XR and am one of those who found that the extra activity made my blood sugar much lower. There is really no way to cut back the dosage when on pills, so I found myself having to eat more carbs. I usually have 1 or 2 low sugar reactions a year, and had 2 during my week at Disney. I carried a snack with me at all times. If you are not familiar with how you feel during a low sugar reaction, you may want to test more frequently than twice a day. When I have low sugar, I get dizzy and light headed, and break out in a cold sweat. It's an "I have to eat something NOW or I'm going to throw up" feeling.

good luck and have a great time!

Well, I tried to post this last night when I read it, but for some reason I kept getting a database error and it wouldn't work, :furious: so I went to bed and thought I'd try again this morning.

Star Wars Guy....some great info given so far! And a howdy neighbor from down south...near Carbondale! :wave2:

I was diagnosed in November 2004 and 3 weeks later went on our first Disney cruise...brother, I thought I'd never make it, but I was wrong. Like others have said, the increased activity...walking...is a big help! Plus, I had just enough time to practice knowing about portions and things to stay away from at the table. Since, then I've made 2 trips to WDW and been able to manage my glucose levels with only a couple of minor oops! (Don't eat McDonald french fries with your kid at midnight and expect a decent reading the next morning. :confused3 )

My doc actually put me on a 12 carb/day plan. :lmao:

Okay, most people freak when they see 12 and say no way! Let me explain it.
It follows the American Diabetic Association diet for a female...1500 calories/day and you want no more than half of your calories to come from carbs, so 1 carb (counted) is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrates (when you read those nutrition guides) and each 1 carb (counted) equals 60 calories...so 12 carbs (counted) times 60 calories equals 720, which times 2 is 1440. So, I can actually add in an extra carb and still be within my goal. For my DH, he's allowed 1800 calories, so he can have a total of 15 carbs/day.

Following this guideline, I avoid sugar as much as possible and watch the carbs by avoiding high carb foods like pastas :sad2: (even the low carb ones are still pretty high, so it's a treat to eat), rice, potatoes and when I do eat them it's in moderation. I've also found that some things (for example reduced fat salad dressings) are higher in the carbs than regular ones. Shortly after I was diagnosed I went to the grocery store for a few things and stayed an hour. DH thought I'd gotten lost...nope, I was just reading the labels. And honestly, I think that may be the best advice...to become knowledgable about what you put in your mouth and know what can trigger the sugar highs and lows.

Also, I can't say it enough and My2Cinderellas said it :thumbsup2 ...know what your body feels like when your sugar levels are wacky!! Like My2Cinderellas, when mine starts to dip past 80, I get the "I gotta eat NOW!" feeling or I get shaky. Now, my dad, who's been diagnosed since the early 1990s and is insulin dependent, hasn't a clue. Last year, he was all over the chart...up to the 300s easily then down in the double digits. One day I was taking care of him after a rehab stay when he got up, went to the bathroom came back out and was all weird...just kept saying "yeah" like a teenager...very unlike him. I checked his glucose...27! He was nearly in a diabetic coma and never realized anything was wrong...even after the EMTs gave him the super sugar and we were in the ER. :eek:

Also, the last thing I'd like to suggest is a website run by a friend's DIL, whose dad is diabetic. She has nutritional labels from different foods (shopping) and restaurants so you can see what you're eating. Unfortunately, no WDW locations, which I can't understand since my friend is a huge Disney nut. The site is...

www.dietfacts.com

Anyway, best wishes! :grouphug:

We just returned from WDW and my husband is a diabetic. We were told to tell the wait staff and they would let the chef know. The chef would come out and talk to my husband and let him know what was suitable for him to order.. They would make alterations to the items he ordered so they would be suitable for my husband. My husband had no trouble and his sugar levels stayed within the allowable range. We found the staff very helpful with my husbands diet requests.

After almost a month from being diagnosed, I've gotten a pretty good handle on my situation (portion size, content, etc.). My levels have been steady 140-180 now that I know what I'm doing.

I've been using www.fitday.com to track my intake, using the site you mentioned - dietfacts.com and calorieking.com to get the info for restuarants when we eat out. I seem to be averaging between 180 - 200 carbs per day and don't seeing it effecting my levels.

I'm going to make myself a small chart to take with me for the food I know I'll be eating a WDW so that I can track my intake while there.

Star Wars Guy said:
After almost a month from being diagnosed, I've gotten a pretty good handle on my situation (portion size, content, etc.). My levels have been steady 140-180 now that I know what I'm doing.

I've been using www.fitday.com to track my intake, using the site you mentioned - dietfacts.com and calorieking.com to get the info for restuarants when we eat out. I seem to be averaging between 180 - 200 carbs per day and don't seeing it effecting my levels.

I'm going to make myself a small chart to take with me for the food I know I'll be eating a WDW so that I can track my intake while there.

Star Wars Guy...I just wanted to ask...you said you've been averaging between 180 - 200 carbs per day...do you mean grams of carbohydrates per day? :confused3 I'm just asking because I know when I tell people I'm only allowed 12 carbs per day they really freak and think I'm eating nothing.

As for the low carb eating not doing anything...I fully understand! :grouphug: I am the worst person about physical activity...it's really hard for me to find the time and I'm not good at making the time for it and I know I should try harder. Which is one of the reasons I love being at WDW, I eat the same, but do much more walking and my glucose levels are usually better than at home.

Anyway...it does sound like your levels are improving! I hope they continue to do so!

There's been a lot of very good information and tips so far! Another thing you can do to help prepare is go to the menus link here on the Dis Home or at Deb's Unoffical site and read about the menus you might be interested in. Table Service restaurants will let you substitute stuff. And even counter service usually has plenty of healthy diabetes freindly meals. For example most of them have a substitute for fries, like carrots, which is much better carb wise. One of the best things I had last week was an antipasto salad at Pinocchio's Village Haus in MK.

Good luck and have great fun on your trip!

We have Type 1 in our family, so we don't understand your special needs. Call Disney Dining, and inform them of your monk's diet. No pasta, bread, or anythng nice. Not even cardboard-tasting rice rolls (we've been there).

The steaks are nice at YC, CG. Ride the bike up the hill for some vigorous exercise.

Michigan said:
Are you testing on you arm or your finger? If it's your arm your level may be lower. If I test on my arm I'm 20 points higher then my finger.
hi
i'm intrigued- living in th u.k. i have never heard of doing blood sugars on an arm, probalbly sounds like a stupid question where on arm?

Testing other places than the finger is called alternate site testing.

Here is a good website explaining it: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/ast/

You need to click on the orange "next" tabs at the bottom right corner to go to the next page or use the navigation table on the left hand side in the box. They have a page with the products that support AST.

You should use ast if you think you are low as the results are not as accurate sometimes. You might also want to do an AST and a finger poke test at the same time to compare the results and see if it works for you.

DH was diagnosed with Type II a few years back. We have traveled many times to DW since then. Normally in the mornings he will have a piece of toast with his pill but in DW he has a crossiant. I'm not sure when you are going but we always have good in June or July. Then in a few hours he will either have some fruit or low sugar ice cream because he can feel his level getting lower due to the heat and walking. He will have a "normal lunch" that a non-diabetic would have ex. burger or hot dog and a few fries. Then he seems to be okay for the rest of the day still having a afternoon snack followed by dinner. Of course everyone is different and like so many people have said before "recognize the signs when blood sugar gets too low". DH gets Dizzy and starts to shake. I would definately increase carbs during you vacation, and probably mostly in the morning. DH actually likes his trip to DW since he gets to eat more! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter