DHS Hat Takedown

MagicRat

Mouseketeer
Love it or hate it- either way, I am shocked by how long it is taking them to take that thing down! Normally, on this type of stuff, Dis seems to do it overnight and you're trying to remember what it looked like before. I figured it would take a day or two at tops. This hat takedown seems like it's been going on for ages. Anybody know why this is taking so long?

there's speculation that they will place it somewhere else and it's a dismantleling process rather than a bulldozing process

I don't know how they could reassemble it somewhere else. Those cuts on the blue part of the hat were all jagged and rough. Unless they just intend to keep the frame and redo the outside part.

there's speculation that they will place it somewhere else and it's a dismantleling process rather than a bulldozing process

They are not dismantling it. Permit says one word "demolition", not dismantle or removal. Saw in person, and all subsequent photos show them cutting it up in small pieces in a jagged destructive manner. Later pictures even showed circular cuts around the objects attached. They could have removed by the bolts but they didn't. There will be no way to put that hat back together again. If you saw up close recently, the hat was in bad shape, many areas of considerable bubbling under the surface indicating rust.

I think the slower process was to limit any destruction to the ground (which has tarps on it where they lay pieces) so that there will be minimal impact and repair for now.

HAT.jpg

Seemed like the top of the hat came down fairly quick but it’s taking some time getting the base down. I didn’t think about the destruction to the ground, but that makes sense.

Its a structure designed to withstand hurricanes. It has to be pretty substantial.

Seemed like the top of the hat came down fairly quick but it’s taking some time getting the base down. I didn’t think about the destruction to the ground, but that makes sense.

You can see here all the tarps on the ground. If the ground is in good shape after they can remove the walls sooner than later. They could have torn that thing down quickly if they weren't worried about damage to the surrounding area.

bd556a89-c938-4060-8859-f3891f83c14d.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter