DH wants to upgrade! Yay!

meloneyb21

DIS Veteran
We were originally planning to stay at CSR in August, but now DH is like "let's upgrade to a Deluxe or something?" YAAAY! But now I don't know what to choose! We're trying to choose between AKL, WL, or SSR. It'll be me, him, DD8, and DS3. Any suggestions?

I personally love AKL because of the animals, the architecture, the atmosphere.... There are great pools and a huge water-play area for the kids there. Plus lots of resort activities that are really unique to AKL (most having to do with the animals). Even though we have had to take a bus everywhere from AKL, we've never had a problem with it.

If you go to the MK a lot, then WL is really nice because you can take the boat to the MK. Plus, it's a gorgeous resort right on the lake.

I've never been to SSR so I can't really comment on it.

Good luck with your planning! :goodvibes

You have a great chance at getting one of the awesome refurbed rooms at WL in August!!! Those rooms are so cute, I'd chose that! :goodvibes

We've never stayed at SSR so I can't comment on that, but I agree with the pp that AKL is a beautiful resort and the atmosphere is great :). But with that said, the WL is also a beautiful resort and would be our choice since we love being close to MK. Also, even though we never had trouble with the buses at AKL, we love having the boat for going to MK as well as the CR. We also like being close to the monorail resorts for a variety of TS restaurants. Plus we love Roaring Forks for quick CS meals, it's relaxing laying by the pool listening to the boat whistles, and the lobby is a great place to sit and take everything in :goodvibes. Good luck deciding :wizard:.

We personally love WL. The resort is beautifully decorated and situated nicely on the lake. You are absolutely correct about being able to enjoy the sites/decorations from each floor as well as the lobby. Besides, you have a variety of transportation methods to get around WDW. We love the boat transporation to the MK. Good luck with your upgrade! I'm sure whichever resort you select, you will be delighted:)

We were originally planning to stay at CSR in August, but now DH is like "let's upgrade to a Deluxe or something?" YAAAY! But now I don't know what to choose! We're trying to choose between AKL, WL, or SSR. It'll be me, him, DD8, and DS3. Any suggestions?

Go to the one that will make your DH say, "Let's go back. And, by the way, lets upgrade!" :goodvibes ;)

I say do AKL CL. If you book the room only discount the CL room is actually cheaper than the Savannah view and you actually still have a Savannah view. Plus with two kids, you will more than make up for the extra money spent in the food and drinks you can get at club level.

We've only stayed at one of the three that you've listed (and that was after nine stays at CSR) and that is the AKL. Saratoga is in the running for this year, WL holds no appeal to us for a number of reasons.

We loved everything about AKL...the beauty of the resort, the pool, the CM's, the room, the bed was very comfy and the food was good too.

I would suggest WL...old lodge theme, boat to MK, and the grandest lobby at WDW! Just sitting in the lobby soaking in the architecture and music...pure heaven! The boat ride back from MK at the end of a long day beats any bus or monorail ride. I don’t know about pricing compared to AK, but we found WL CL to be worth the extra $900. We ate breakfast everyday in the lounge, met friends, grabbed snacks during the afternoon and had dessert one evening. CL staff was great and helped arrange last minute dining and made us flag family one day. A great experience that I hope we can repeat next year!

Which park will you spend most of your time at? If you think it's MK, then definitely go with WL - nice boat ride there and back or even over to the monorail.

Although I've never stayed at AKL or SSR, I wouldn't choose either one because of the travel time to the parks.

We loved our stay at AKL, but WL is the next on our list for Deluxes. SSR doesn't really appeal to me, but I would stay there too if I got the right price.

Ultimately, it depends on your upgrade budget and what kind of experience you want to have. We stayed in a Pool View room at AKL which was a nice choice over Standard View. Our view was lovely and we were very close to the pool and all the restaurants. However, if I had had the money, I would have stayed Savanna View, or even better Concierge Level.

We've chosen WL as our next Deluxe partially because it's the least expensive of our other options AND we may eventually outgrow a standard room, so we want to get it out of the way before it becomes at least as expensive as our other deluxe options. I love the idea of having easy access to Fort Wilderness for the Campfire Sing-a-long and other activities there. The general proximity to the Magic Kingdom will be nice too.

I would probably only stay at SSR if I could get into at least a 1BR. The idea of a studio doesn't appeal to me.

SSR is a nice resort, but the buses seemed to take awhile. Of your choices, I would really be torn between AKL/WL. If you think MK is your main destination, I would stay at WL. But if your kids are 'wild' about animals (hehe), then AKL is the clear winner.

Hmmmm, it's gonna be either AKL or WL, but I'm trying to decide what we want more. We've stayed AKL last year and loved it, so we wouldn't mind going back....however, WL would be a new experience for us. Would we be able to see the fireworks from WL?

Only time I'd do WL is during the holidays it's so beautiful. If you want something new what about GF or Contemp or are you stuck on AKL/WL? You'd be on the monorail which is great with young kids and if you do the GF I THINK there's a daybed in the room too? (I'd personally do the Poly but I see you've stayed there already)

Hmmmm, it's gonna be either AKL or WL, but I'm trying to decide what we want more. We've stayed AKL last year and loved it, so we wouldn't mind going back....however, WL would be a new experience for us. Would we be able to see the fireworks from WL?

From your room? Possibly - I think some of the Woods view rooms let you see the high up ones.

The cool thing that we did was to get on the boat back to the resort right before the fireworks start - you can watch them from the water.

The other thing you could do is take the boat over to the monorail and go to the Poly to watch them from the beach.

If the pool matters to you, then AKL has the more interesting one, imho. We've stayed at WL twice and liked it a lot, but the pool is kind of blah. We had a courtyard view room once that looked directly out over the pool and the lake and it was beautiful.

I'm definitely not an "animal" or a "woodsy" type of girl, so I would stay at the SSR. It's gorgeous!! Have fun deciding!!

That is wonderful! I have stayed at SSR and WL, but never AKL. I have been to the AKL and it's beautiful, but like SSR it's land locked. You have to always get on a bus. We have stayed at the WL twice and LOVE it. It's a quick boat ride to the MK and buses to the others. We also think Roaring Forks is one of the best quick service Resturants on Disney property. It's a big resort, yet it has a quietness to it. We just love everything about the WL.

Hard decision, enjoy the research and picking. I like allears.com because you can compare pics, prices amenities easily there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter