DH Laid Off - help?

Jennifer823

DIS Veteran
My DH was recently laid off. We now have no income but unemployment, no health insurance, and a house that has lost so much value we can't sell it.

My question is if you guys could point me in the right direction to some kind of online forum or board that can give us some good advice. We don't know anyone personally that is going through this and need a little guidance. Is there a thread on the DIS about this, per chance? Thank you so much. The DIS has never let me down ;)

I'm sorry to hear that you are going thru hard times. Check out Frugal Village...they have an active message board and many good ideas!

I hope things improve for you and yours!

If this were me I would immediately look for a job - any job - even minimum wage. Let your husband take care of your children. This way he still collects unemployment and you have some extra money coming in. If he were to just get any job you could be worse off. Lower salary and no unemployment check. This could get you through until he finds another job in his field with good benefits.

Welcome to my world, honestly. My husband got laid off in February, I was a stay at home mom doing home daycare, we have three girls. I ended up calling an old employer and got a job that started days before our health insurance was to run out. This salary is not anything compared to my husband's, but it's health insurance and that's huge. My husband is now holding down the fort at home and looking for work, and it's not been very promising. The first thing I did when I found out was cancel anything I could, or lower payments anyway I could. I also called the schools and put my kids on the free lunch program, you can also call the electric company and see about lowering your electric bill, we are now on R-2 service because the kids qualified for free lunch we qualified for this program. I canceled our newspapers, I cancled or tried to cancel ADT, but they gave me two months free and we can re-evaluate that after, I canceled text messaging on our phones, I called comcast and asked what I could do to lower my bills and my list goes on and on. I'm embarassed to say that everything I canceled totaled up to $1000 a month. We're in the same situation you are with our house and our understanding is our bank will not work with us until we are behind and currently we are not and are going to try to keep it that way.

There is a lay-off thread on this board, search the budget section for it and if you can't find it PM me and I'll look through old e.mails for it.

I initially had a hard time looking for help (like the lunch program), but that's why these services are out there and I know it will only be temporary.

If you need an ear, let me know, we're definitely not over the hump, but holding ground and that's important right now. Know that you are NOT ALONE. :grouphug:

My DH was recently laid off. We now have no income but unemployment, no health insurance, and a house that has lost so much value we can't sell it.

My question is if you guys could point me in the right direction to some kind of online forum or board that can give us some good advice. We don't know anyone personally that is going through this and need a little guidance. Is there a thread on the DIS about this, per chance? Thank you so much. The DIS has never let me down ;)

First don't go without health insurance. You are allowed the COBRA program with the employer paying 65% (IIR the % correctly) for the next 9 months.

Second both you and your DH need to seek out employment and remember that no job is beneath you.

Third cut back on all extras, such as premium cable. Just get basic cable and internet (dial-up) so you have some entertainment and the tools to find a new job(s).

Fourth try to keep your normal routines in tack but at a far lower level. Say you would go out once a month for a nice meal, keep doing that but make the meal at a place that has coupons, kids eat free or maybe just the $1 menu at McDonalds.

And lastly get the older kids involved. Can they mow lawns, trim, dog sit or walk etc. to earn some $$ to help out. Kids understand finances at a much younger age then we adults think they can. Find a way to use the money they earn to help pay a bill (show them the bill and let them take pride in paying it) and/or toward the special treat that month.

Good luck.

I agree that you need to find a job, any job so there is some extra income coming in, while your DH takes care of the kids/looks for solid employment.

There's been alot of good advice given in this thread. I hope things turn around for your family soon.

I just wanted to express my sympathy to the OP and everyone else in her position.

I also agree you should try to get a job and have DH stay home with kids for now and collect his umemployement. After 16 years as a stay at home mom I got a part time job this past fall, my DH works for GM so I knew I had to start earning just in case. So far he has not been let go (Monday was a close call and a nerve wracking day for salaried workers) but the future is so shaky for GM that we continue to plan for eventual unemployement.

Some things to consider...

I sold my gold in the fall, used the cash to pay for an extra for my DD, her HS varsity jacket.

I volunteered at a school sponsored thrift shop and earned "credits" toward my son's school trip to Washington DC last Nov. and his summer band camp.

I have a couple of boxes of things (dishes, wedding gifts never opened...) ready to take to the local consignment shop.

My paperboy is actually a very nice family, the dad, mom and son all take turns delivering our paper. They have several routes and I would assume make $300-400 per month doing that, not a ton but maybe enough to make your car payment or put towards health insurance?

I found my part time job (which I love!) on local Craigslist. In light of recent events in the news just be very careful... I got lucky my boss is a gem. At the time there were a couple of possible job openings on Craigslist, they were Local employers looking for just one or two employees, usually partime

Really, I wish you the best in your trying times! :hug:

Do you live anywhere near Lakeland FL? I am pretty sure Geico is hiring there in their claims department. Not sure if you need experience but it is worth a shot. And the pay is not so bad. Good Luck.

Also agree with a PP that you should not go without health insurance. If you can't get COBRA, see if your state has any programs to help low-income families afford insurance. When I was laid off last year, we were able to qualify for insurance through Healthy NY; it was a BCBS HMO and our monthly premium was about the same as what we had paid for COBRA.

I was laid off in Jan, this year so I feel your pain. Someone suggested you get a job and let DH collect unemployment - I completely agree with that advice!! I would not suggest he accept any job that pays less than what he made until he's just about to run out of unemployment (that could be a while depending on your state and how much he has avail), If he were to take a low paying job he would be obliged to take any job that paid lower than his old one and could easily bring in less than he would on unemployment at that point. Meanwhile, if he needs a brush up on job skills or getting his resume ready to go, now's the time. And remember, you're not alone. :grouphug:

Thanks for all the advice. The COBRA subsidy thing is news to me, we hadn't heard of that before today. COBRA would have cost almost $1500/month for us without it. He's got some job leads right now, but out-of-state. :(. There are painfully few jobs in our area.

If this were me I would immediately look for a job - any job - even minimum wage. Let your husband take care of your children. This way he still collects unemployment and you have some extra money coming in. If he were to just get any job you could be worse off. Lower salary and no unemployment check. This could get you through until he finds another job in his field with good benefits.

This is what I was going to say! Get any job...just to get income to supplement your unemployment! Good Luck. This is a fear for many people and unfortunately a reality for more and more people every day!

I am sorry to hear about your DH! I hope things turn around quickly for your family!:grouphug:

Do you live anywhere near Lakeland FL? I am pretty sure Geico is hiring there in their claims department. Not sure if you need experience but it is worth a shot. And the pay is not so bad. Good Luck.

No, I'm a couple hours south of Lakeland in the "foreclosure capital of the country," Cape Coral. It's really bad here, the area is bleeding jobs and I just heard on the local news today that the median house values are down 58% from just last March (values have been going down longer than that, though.)

My husband lost his job December 1st. I immediately signed up my two school aged children for free lunch. I made my husband sign us up for food assistance. I signed my children up for Medicaid (I don't think dh and I qualify because of 401K assets). I signed up dh and I for a major medical insurance policy through Blue Cross ($215 a month just in case one of us has a medical emergency, the deductible is $2500). There really isn't anything we can cut down on with our monthly expenses. We don't have premium cable (we have a bundle with phone, internet, and cable). I don't have a cell phone contract. My biggest advice to you is to take advantage of the resources that you qualify for! If we weren't getting food stamps right now we'd be totally in arrears on our other bills. Our only income is dh's unemployment, and it doesn't cover our monthly obligations, we are about $900 short (been using tax refund to bridge the difference). I'm hoping to get a job (well, I'd rather he get a job because I'm a fulltime student!) so we can survive this. I don't know how long dh will be unemployed, he's an automotive engineer and well, everyone knows how that's going these days :guilty:.

My husband lost his job December 1st. I immediately signed up my two school aged children for free lunch. I made my husband sign us up for food assistance. I signed my children up for Medicaid (I don't think dh and I qualify because of 401K assets). I signed up dh and I for a major medical insurance policy through Blue Cross ($215 a month just in case one of us has a medical emergency, the deductible is $2500). There really isn't anything we can cut down on with our monthly expenses. We don't have premium cable (we have a bundle with phone, internet, and cable). I don't have a cell phone contract. My biggest advice to you is to take advantage of the resources that you qualify for! If we weren't getting food stamps right now we'd be totally in arrears on our other bills. Our only income is dh's unemployment, and it doesn't cover our monthly obligations, we are about $900 short (been using tax refund to bridge the difference). I'm hoping to get a job (well, I'd rather he get a job because I'm a fulltime student!) so we can survive this. I don't know how long dh will be unemployed, he's an automotive engineer and well, everyone knows how that's going these days :guilty:.

Kellydelly, Good for you for being so proactive in using all the resources available to your family. I know some people are "too proud" to use those programs but in the past you have paid with your taxes for those programs, you have been helping others so now let those who are employeed help you with our taxes!

As I mentioned in an earlier post my DH is auto too and here in MI everything and everyone is being effected. Good luck to you.

Kellydelly, Good for you for being so proactive in using all the resources available to your family. I know some people are "too proud" to use those programs but in the past you have paid with your taxes for those programs, you have been helping others so now let those who are employeed help you with our taxes!

As I mentioned in an earlier post my DH is auto too and here in MI everything and everyone is being effected. Good luck to you.

In addition to saying "hang in there and you will make it through this"! I wanted to add that when you go to get the services you qualify for (AND YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY:) ) just take a deep breath. It is sometimes hard but I kept reminding myself "that I paid my taxes and help to fund these services for over 20 years and never needed them. Now that I do, I will not feel ashamed or proud. I will receive the help I need for me and my family until I no longer need it". Now maybe you won't have that issue but I had to "get over myself" and I am so thankful I did! Now DH is working and while not more than 2 checks from being back there, we are over the hump. Hang on and don't let go!

Dawn

I agree with this. It won't be easy, but it might get you through until your Dh can find another good position. In the meantime, work and cut out all the extras. Go through the house and see what you can sell, etc. Good luck.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter